1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

To repair or re-design? Opinions please...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Jamison,
    The only thing I've done to the Excelsior is tubes. I like to try different vintage tubes to see how tone is affected.

That old speaker and cabinet looks fun. Looks like it might be time to head over to the burnt fingers forum. They may have plans for a micro tube amp to fit in there. Cool!
    Rob

2. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

beautiful work on the guitar man, looks killer!

3. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks rob. I posted a thread in the amp forum, and considered attempting to build something inside it, and probably will at some point, but I think the Smokey will hold me over a bit, so when that time comes maybe I won't be in such a hurry. (Because trust me, I'll need a LOT of patience for something like that...)

4. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Why, thank ya, kind sir.

5. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Well I must say, I'm not the happiest of campers right now...

To preface, the town I live in is tucked up in NW Oklahoma, it has a population of 15,000, and is the largest town within 90+ miles, so music stores are kind of a rare commodity here, thus the delay in getting tuners.

Anyway, yesterday I finally found myself 2+ hours away in OKC, where my two preferred guitar shops are. One of them is a guy that sells me parts pretty much at the cost he pays for them from AllParts, however, he was closed... So, I head over to shop #2. They had some Grover's for 70 bucks, and some Ping tuners for 50. Well my wallet won that battle with my head, and I headed home with the Pings.

Today I set about installing the tuners, and right when the excitement was building, I noticed one of the posts was loose. A very light wiggle and this happened:

[​IMG]

So, the new plan. Fortunately, as I am leaving for Belize on Friday, I'll be back in OKC area in the next couple days. So, the plan is to go by the shop, and drop the guitar off, tuners and all, and have them replace the tuners and do a full set up on the guitar while I'm gone. Then, I get to return to a nice new guitar when I get back.

Not an ideal plan, but my set up skills aren't great yet, and I'm not patient enough to hone them on this build, and I want this to be as good as possible.

6. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Anyone know if these:

[​IMG]

And these:

[​IMG]

Have the same screw location?

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I have no idea, but I found out when I first started building that having parts available before a build was a major plus. It really pays to stock up on a few sets of tuners, bridges , electronics, and screws that you can't find in most places. Now with the internet, I thing it pays to put a modest investment into them. That way you have them, and save on shipping and time, which is a real pain when you are hungry to finish a project. I've been buying my bridges and tuners in sets of three the last few years. I tend to like the same tuners, and seem to do a few of each style guitar before moving on to another great idea. Back in the stone age, nobody around here even carried small parts and they all had to be ordered by phone at a music store and delivered by snail mail...and forget so many options and choices.

8. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Marty. Yeah I've been trying to get a small stock pile of parts, as money allows. With this one, tuners were the very first thing I bought, but I then proceeded to change the headstock configuration....

9. Barncaster

Oh man that blows. I've tried a few different tuner manufacturers and I keep coming back to Gotoh. Sometimes they can be a bit hard to find but they have a very precision feel. Worth the extra cash. I usually get them off eBay. Have fun in Belize and we look forward to a great demo when you get home.
    Rob

10. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks rob, the gotoh minis were actually the ones I had in mind to buy when I went to shop #1, which was closed at the time. That one is a shop full of the stuff the owner builds and vintage stuff, and he swore by them the first time I went in, and they've been my go to ever since. Nothing to flashy, but they sure get the job done.

11. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

New Charango Day! My mom got back from Bolivia yesterday, and brought me this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Headed home from Belize today. I'll post some more pics later when I have more reliable internet, but for now, here's the wood I'm bringing home. From left to right it's Rosewood (not sure what variety), Jabim (research online tells me Americans might know it as "Jamaican Dogwood"), and Chechen, aka Poison Wood.

[​IMG]

13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Each is around 1" x 7" x 30"

14. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Sitting in DFW airport, here's some more pics from the trip to Belize.

The lumber yard/cabinetry shop had ziricote all over the place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These stacks are just a fraction of the rosewood:
    [​IMG]

Here's the work area:
    [​IMG]

Some works in progress:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are of the actual store this workshop sells it's products in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Also met another guitar builder from Cuba in San Pedro, Belize. Here's some of his work:

A traditional Cuban "Tres":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a guitar:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up the guitar from the shop that was doing a set up. He said the action is just a tad high because he had a hard time taming the neck. They said the Birdseye maple it's generally pretty soft and usually needs some reinforcing rods inside to keep it a bit more stable. Would the TDPRI populace agree with this? If certainly never heard such, but this is my first time using the Birdseye.

Overall, I am very pleased with this guitar. I'm really an acoustic player, and it shows a lot in the way I play electric, so action that's a smudge high doesn't really bother me. I'm just glad to have one of my guitars that is of good quality that I get to keep for myself. Before this, I only had my first couple builds on hand and they just sit on the stand.

I'll get some pics and maybe a video/sound clip of the guitar (and Rob's pickups) up tomorrow. :)

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Figured maple is unstable... but I've never heard that you have to reinforce it to use it. I doubt Warmoth or others do that.

18. Barncaster

Don't forget the reverb Jamison! :)

19. Daverius

Daverius Tele-Meister

Ack. Just when I thought we had a shot at hearing them au naturelle.

20. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

So I played this through an amp for the first time just a bit ago, and I think I am in love. Big props to Rob, the pups sound fantastic! The range of sounds is enormous, and I haven't found a bad one yet. I'll get a basic video and pics up before too long, but I hope to have another friend (who's playing will do the pups more justice) let me film him playing it in the next few days.

Another thing I'd add is, while it's usually not to practical, and I wouldn't do it every time, it was kinda fun dropping the guitar off with someone else to string it up the first time and do all the set up work. Now it has much more of that NGD feel that I can never find with other builds, when perfecting it is a process of small tweaks over several days. Pretty exciting to get to just plug it in and have at it after all the hard work that went into it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.