1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

To repair or re-design? Opinions please...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I agree with Marty GuitarBuilder: Cut a nice repair patch from the scraps and put it on with good Titebond glue and continue as per original designs. The patch won't be noticeable. Just make the seams as tight as possible.

2. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Can I get a solid opaque covering with the hand applied dyes?

3. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

I really like the blue burst idea -- I like those kinds of finishes
    and you said you'd like to stretch yourself.

I've only done one burst. I sprayed shellac using the method
    described in the O'Brien Guitars video. It was very forgiving.

It would be hard to do this with a Preval unit, though -- you'd
    want a compressor and spray gun.

4. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

No a dye will always have some transparency to it. you can paint the sides and use the die to blend it to the sides. That is what i did on mine.

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

pat- what if he used a mixol black in shellac as a first coat just on the sides? (You could probably wipe this on too, come to think of it)
    He could then do the wipe/rub on for the top and back maybe a little blending on the edges just before the clear coats using an airbrush and some tinted clear?

6. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

DING DING DING! Yep! Opaque Mixol or other pigment in the shellac should allow for a wipe on solid color.

7. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys this is all very helpful.

Here's another question I'll pose for opinions:

What if I did the "sunburst" sides like Gibson has been know to use? Strategically place a dark/opaque portion over the flawed area, leave the waist just stained blue. Would this look out of place on a tele?

8. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Ding ding ding! I finally got a chance today to give this a bit of attention. First, unscrewed the tightening nut off the router, and discovered a very small bit of wood stuck in the collet, thus preventing it from clamping down properly when tightened. Fixed that, and it worked fine.

So I resumed routing the .1" channel around the top:
    [​IMG]

Then a .6 channel around the back:
    [​IMG]

This one will likely be set to the side for a while until in get some more parts for it, but I also accepted a new job today that I start in June, so this will be a good way to reward myself pretty soon :)

9. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Here's some quick practice finishes I tried this afternoon: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Finally some progress in sight! The delay is explained a bit over in a thread I started in the tool sub forum. However, I ordered the binding this morning, and picked up some natural timber mate to fill the trench. I think it will match the basswood pretty well. So, should be making progress on the body on Friday or Saturday.

Still need to order fret wire for the neck...

11. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, I never planned on this being a build thread, but I'm feeling like posting some pictures since it's my first real progress in a while.

Glued on the back binding. Have a couple gaps to fill around the neck pocket, but it cleaned up pretty well. Sorry no pic of it post- clean up.
    [​IMG]

Finished up the top routing, now just need to rout for the control cavity cover.

[​IMG]

Started filling the bad spot with natural Timbermate. Doesn't match quite as well as I'd hoped, but I should be able to manage. I'm still debating on a finish. The second shot of filler will go on after the binding is installed, which will most likely be Thursday. I'm doing .02" white / .02" black / .06" white for the top, but forgot the thin white on my last order. So I placed a second order today that should also finish out the hardware for this one.

[​IMG]

12. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

My mind has moved back to the finish on this one. Here's the "plan" for now, see if this sounds doable:

I would like to do a 2 tone burst, pretty traditional. I've ordered the reranch edge color from their 2 tone set. My thought is that it can be laid on dark enough that although it won't be opaque, it should pretty much hide the Timbermate repair. Even though it's only bass wood, I just can't get into the idea of painting the back and sides.

For the amber, I think I will just use amber shellac rather than spraying anything. I've also considered putting a drop or 2 red dye in the shellac.

Anyone see reason to divert from this plan?

13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Mock ups!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All that's left now on the body are a few holes and lots of sanding! Should have fret wire in in a couple days. Also, those pups are just some spares I have. I'm not even sure they work. The real ones are being wound by our friend mister Rob Barncaster :) :) :)

15. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Looking great! I like the triple ply binding.

Rob's the man! :D

16. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks friend

17. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Slowly moving into finishing territory. Started with some very week coats of amber shellac on the top and back:
    [​IMG]

Then added a small drop of red to it to orange it up a bit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still waiting on a neck plate, so those are the only holes left to drill, then I'll move on to spraying the burst. If I have time tonight I'll sand the sides one last time, tape off the binding, and make them match the top and back.

18. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Well I went and made a fibber of myself on that last post... The temptation was just too great! [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] I got a few speckles for the can squirting, but it's nothing that bothers me. Also, when scraping the binding clean I scraped the wood a wee bit as well. Is this an occasion for one of those touch up pens? Or should I just clear over it and be happy? It's all pretty minor stuff. Overall, I am absolutely thrilled with how this has turned out! High spirits tonight, it's always great when stuff is clicking and exceeds expectations in the shop. Only wish it would happen more often...

19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

WOW! Home run, Jamison! You have every right to be giddy after nailing that finish.

I know what you mean about wishing things went that well every time. I seem to have a melt down in every one of my build threads LOL. It's like golf for me when I used to play--I'd spend the entire round cursing and swearing I'd never play again, but then I'd hit that one really good shot that would ensure I'd be back the next weekend :-D

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

20. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Thats awesome. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.