To relic or not to relic

rattus77

Tele-Meister
Hi all i slightly damaged my tele body just behind the bridge whilst cleaning and restringing. Anyway the other way i tried to hide the damage with some paint but made the damge worse. The question is do i try and relic the guitar or get it resprayed. The guitar in question is a black 20006 highway one the same guitar on my profile pic.

rattus77

Tele-Meister
Thats a good point at the end of the day it still sounds great. Sometimes i look at the damage and want to get it repaired professionally

Bill Hullett

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Rattus

Hi Rattus....
By your post it sounds like you would be happy with only the opposite ends of the spectrum??!! (if you were talking about beef , that's like saying since its not Raw anymore, should I burn it?) Just accept it as phase .01 of a Tele and it will be reliced before you realize it.....the last thing I would do if it were me is refin....When you add up the cost of a refin and calculate the depreciation that a refin takes, it would add up to more than the guitar is worth...

JMHO
Bill Hullett

milocj

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'm not a huge relic fan, though I do like some of them and I don't mind a naturally worn guitar. I do think that whenever the relic fad has passed that a well taken care of guitar with a few chips and dings will be worth more than a homemade relic job (even if that might not be the case now). I even suspect that a used MIM in excellent condition may eventually be worth more than a used Roadworn at some point in the future.

z-clay

TDPRI Member
I'd play it like I stole it from now on. It will develop honest wear in time and be so much cooler than any relic.

JohnnyRick

Banned
Do nothing.

Play the damn thing until your fingers bleed.

Concentrate on the sound, not the appearance.

The guitar will acquire it's own unique 'look' as time goes by.

I think both extremes are crazy.

Babying the guitar or willfully damaging it.

Mur

Friend of Leo's
Relic'ing works with a nitrocellulose finish. Otherwise, good luck.

Brian blaut

Friend of Leo's
you just need time to bond with your 'damage'. Do nothing, and you'll soon get used to seeing it, like the mole on a supermodel's cheek. You'll see it as the familiar one of a kind markings only on the guitar that you love. And, you'll let go. The next ding won't feel so bad.

scoots

Tele-Holic
you know, if it bothers you, black might be an easy fix. maybe see what a local wood shop guy might charge you for a spot touchup. personally though, i wouldn't purposely relic a guitar. my am dlx has a few areas that have been unintentionally reliced. if you leave it as is, it is a genuine relic. no posers, the real deal.

Mur

Friend of Leo's
I think Mur meant that it works on fully nitro finishes, not so well on poly base with a nitro skin. I'd leave it, and let nature take it's course.
Not familiar with the Highway One, but a while back I tried to make a 52ri look old and it didn't work. Turned out horrible.