To Player or not to Play?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sotakoira Musti, Oct 18, 2020 at 3:19 PM.

1. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

KS6V, Piggy Stu, Crobbins and 2 others like this.
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I have a hard time telling people not to buy a tele.

Those ones are fine. I use those when trying amps in stores. One of the FSR color ones is on my list, but not super high.
    I dont want any guitars that color. It's too close to LPB, which I have.

If you want it, go for it.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  3. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

It looks a great colour with a maple neck. If it makes you ‘less unhappy’ then why not?

Then play it loads, until you fingers are sore and really enjoy the music, that’s where the real happiness lies.

Plustop and Sotakoira Musti like this.
  4. Sotakoira Musti

I thought that ”happiness is a warm gun” :)

This would be my Tele number 4-5, so there’s nothing fancy about it. But, just the tought of a ”Fender” Tele and making It a playground of mods, so why not. Other ones are keepers, for exsamle 2017 GH rosewood, am pro ltd pine, 70th anny Broadcaster. There’s nothing to mod about, if one doesn’t count straplocks.

5. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Meister

depends on how many you already have and what it's going to get used for?

it's always good to have a no bs one to throw in your bag and go. that one fits the bill pretty well.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  6. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Whatever shuits you. Personbally, I avoid mid-level guitars like this as the offer, IMO, a bad deal for modders. I either buy remarkable guitars that stay stock because they are already refined as I want, or cheap, worn, etc. instruments where you're not taking off perfectly good new parts or undoing decent design and build work to persopnalize the instrument. I'd get a better guitar than that, but used and abused, and restore and upgrade it substantially. Making a pretty good Tele into a somewhat better pretty good Tele seems a little pointless.

Plustop likes this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Telecasters have that elegant simplicity and killer tone. Go for it.

Plustop likes this.
  8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Straplock are a necessity, not a mod. It's like fixing a stripped strap button screen hole, it saves your guitar from a gravity propelled doom. ;)

Having said all that, a Mexican made base model tele is a great thing to experiment with pickups on, if you want to go that route. My tele is a 1999 FSR from guitar center in natural ash finish. I swapped the pickgaurd to a fender brand tortoise one, and it has straplocks from a guitar I sold before buying the tele. It's the only electric guitar I own still containing stock pickups. The neck pickup has almost gone away several times, but this year I finally got it to sound good on it's own with my 5e5.

If you like the color, buy it. That price, new? I'm in the states, so like after conversion, south of 500 euro is a good deal on that, as it takes it $20ish lower than a brand new one in that color. Theres currently one on Reverb for lower than normal (new) from a seller in Spain. I'd wager shipping is less to you than to here. I'm not sure what those typically go for over there, but they're a good guitar to have.

9. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That color makes *me* less unhappy, I'd buy it if you have the itch!

10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful guitar. I’d be happy with it

11. Munchie99

Munchie99 TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I just bought the same guitar in butterscotch blonde. It arrived this past Wednesday. I love it. AB02F7A4-268D-4830-9437-6953494454AC.jpeg

12. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

I believe you will be happy with this one. I love my Player Tele and have been enjoying its company for a year and a half.

13. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

The multiplicity of models just confuses me, but I’d be happy to buy that one.

14. Sotakoira Musti

Okay, the answer to the headline is to Player. Got one today, tidepool. Nothing extravaganza, just a workhorselike guitar. Nice finish all around. Sounded and felt nice in the first 20 min test drive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.