1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

to oil or no

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GLee94, Jan 28, 2021.

1. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

just curious how you guys treat your Rosewood fretboards. for the longest time I was using Kyser len oil and was told from the gate never to let oil rest on the fretboard but rather wipe it on and off. doing this a lot of the times the fretboard looks great for a day or so and then looks drier than a bone like it has some kind of wax on the surface. recently I conducted an experiment on an SG where I let the oil soak for about 10 minutes on a very dry fretboard when I wiped it dry it darkened by about three shades which has still held up for about a week and there has been no noticeable changes in the playability of the guitar. as of now I’m gonna have to say I am in favor of oiling boards when needed and I’m wondering why so many people seem to be afraid of fretboard conditioners? let me know about your experiences! thanks!

Coloradotwanger, Boreas and nicknklv like this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

maybe in Arizona

howardlo likes this.
  3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Occasionally I apply lemon oil to my ebony fretboards. I let it sit a few minutes then wipe off. This has worked for 36 years on my Carvin and 25 years on my Taylor.

KyAnne, TeleUpNorth, Toadtele and 2 others like this.
  4. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

I apply lemon oil on all my RW- and ebony board guitars every time I switch strings. Same procedure as alnico357 ^. No change in playability, but they look so good after the treatment. ;)

5. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's probably fine. Martin says no lemon oil because it contains acids that can damage finish. Taylor says to clean the fretboard with 0000 steel wool then use a thin layer of boiled linseed oil. They Keyser product is called Lem Oil rather than lemon oil because it's probably not pure lemon oil and since it's made for guitars it's probably fine. I have used lemon oil and i love the smell but I lean towards mineral oil now. You can use the basic stuff from the pharmacy or get cutting board oil.

TeleUpNorth and GLee94 like this.
  6. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

The steel wool fibers might get into your pickup magnets. I don't apply the oil to the body of the guitar so no acid damage. I actually use Homer Formby lemon oil.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Commodore 64, ale.istotle and GLee94 like this.
  7. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I live in a desert, and think that makes me more inclined to treat my fretboard with an oil product. I still use "Fiddlebrite." I apply a small amount to a soft cloth, and rub it into the board. I wipe off any excess moisture immediately. I typically do this 2-3 times a year.

Coloradotwanger, KyAnne and GLee94 like this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Mineral oil is what's in most of the pseudo fretboard specific products the industry has to sell you at a premium. You can add vanilla or raspberry smell if you like it.

Never use steel wool, your pickup magnets will eat it and make them rust. Firm toothbrush and warm water is what I use to remove grime before oiling. I usually let the oil sit for a few minutes before wiping it.

9. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

i actually switched to ernie ball wonder wipes when i tested it on the sg.. i think they’re a blend of orange, linseed, and jojoba oils...worked well and lasts longer than the lem oil i mentioned.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

clarinet oil is grenadilla

Wallaby likes this.
  11. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Kroger Baby Oil about once a year.

PhoenixBill likes this.
  12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

image.jpg I bought this years and years ago. It seems to do alright.
    it smells nice And is apparently about a lifetime supply!
    I also use it on wooden handgun grips.

13. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I just use the plain food-grade mineral oil on mine. Same thing that I use on my nice cutting board.

As with any industry, if you buy the "generic" that's not marketed specifically for your intended activity, you can get the exact same thing for less money.

14. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

boiled linseed oil is all ive ever used on rosewood/ebany boards simply wipe on wipe off a few times:D

KyAnne, Piggy Stu and ale.istotle like this.
  15. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Unscented I hope. I can't stand the baby oil fragrance. I bet babies don't like it either.

dougstrum likes this.
  16. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It ain't rocket science. Just oil the thing and move on.

17. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  18. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't live in a dry environment. I use either Dunlop or S/M fretboard oil every 6-12 mo.. Let it soak for 10-15 min then remove excess. I also use FastFret every few plays. It has white mineral oil in it. I don't wipe it off. Followed this plan for 40 years.

KyAnne and GLee94 like this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I use mineral oil and let it soak in for 15 minutes before wiping it off. I do it about once a year.

GLee94 likes this.
  20. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

i’m in erie and that’s what i typically do (1-2 times a year) the sg was a new trade that hadn’t been cared for much so it drank it up like a camel..

Boreas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.