1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

to marry or not to marry

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omlove, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Just find someone that hates you and give them half of everything you own... and then make payments to them for 10 years...

2. Jakethedog

Jakethedog TDPRI Member

If he is 34 and she is 27 that’s not a problem. If it is, it doesn’t have anything to do with age. Besides, a woman knows when she can’t have kids anymore, that doesn’t mean she can’t be married to a much younger man.

Point is do t get hung up on a 7 year age difference. It really doesn’t matter.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Where's sex and money? Wife # 4 and 5, I assume?

dan1952, 2 Headed Goat and ftbtx like this.
  4. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

If I were asked by a young man today about marriage?
    In the current western world and witnessing (5) decades of feminism I would say:
    "Don't do it
    " for many legit reasons.
    It's become a game of emotional & financial roulette for the male and a contract with the state that will not be in the male's corner.

I could go on with this topic but all here know how to google things for their own education. :)

But....that's just me....to each their own.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

I got married because I wanted to be with her, not because I wanted a party, a ring, her income,,,whatever other crap reason. We dated 4 years and have been married almost 27. I think a lot of time together before marriage, and not necessarily living together, is important.

Are there rough times, of course. Be careful that she isn't overly selfish and neither are you. That will kill the marriage.

One year dating is too short IMO. My son just got married at 22, dated for one year and proposed. I told him to wait & give it more time. We'll see how they do.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    JayFreddy and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. blowtorch

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

If your relationship is genuinely good, shouldn't be a problem. Marriage is really just a different way to file your taxes. If you're already really happy together, there's not that big of a difference in how you live (assuming you are cohabitating). There is a legitimate fear of legal and financial consequences should things sour, but that's what prenups are for.

Manual Slim and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

You do realize you are asking marriage advice from musicians! I might guess that particular social subgroup might score way down on the marriage success ladder. Not say’n some of us have not been successful at it, I’m about to hit 48 years of marriage with raddwife this summer. I would not have it any other way.

dan1952, 41144, thegeezer and 5 others like this.
  9. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

kids that call you father and grow up with both parents?

10. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

If there is any question whatsoever in your mind, perhaps you better take a deep breath and relax and really give it some thought.

And ask some questions. Seek out wise counsel.

A divorce is an education in what to not look for and is often very difficult to ever recover from.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    JayFreddy and blowtorch like this.
  11. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Every couple is different. The kinds of love, the willingness to compromise, to work on it, to understand the other, to be truly united.

It is effortful, but can be worth it.

Is she pushing you at all to marry her?

I was very, very against marriage for the first half of my life...I used to counsel my friends against it. In fact, every one of my friends (male and female) who married in their 20s or early 30s has been through at least one divorce.

Every. One. As far as I know or recollect at any rate.

I finally married at 28 and while there were some good times, it went South pretty quick. However, my ex was mentally ill, fairly abusive, irrational and a gambling addict who refused to work but complained all the time about all manner of things.

Then after 21 years she dumped me for a guy with more money. (And he split on her in under a year, once he saw how the wind was blowing.)

The one good thing to come out of that marriage was my two kids. They are awesome, and 19 and 20 now.

And then I met an incredible woman who is 10 years older than me. I didn't know love could be so free and easy and deeply felt. We will probably get married this year.

So, I don't know. I don't know you, or the young lady in question.

I'd have to echo others here who've said try living together first and see how it goes.

I hate to say this, but what I'd REALLY recommend is: don't have children.

It's very rewarding, it's an incredible thing, but it is also the hardest, most draining thing you will ever do. It will age you, it will put an unimaginable strain on your marriage, and it will cost you a fortune and never stop.

Older generations always say this, but the way the world truly is now, and as hard as it is for young people to get started and get by, I would not bring a child into the world today. Not unless you plan to do the bulk of housing and caring and providing for them as long as you live.

JayFreddy likes this.
  12. blowtorch

You can absolutely get that outside of a marriage. Many, many do.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  13. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Don’t get married until you’re 100% sure. I waited until I was 37, she was 27. I’m 56 now. So happy I waited as I can see now that earlier “prospects” would’ve have been disastrous.

14. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And then there’s this advice:

15. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Marriage is never the answer.
    What was the question?

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’ve been married to the same woman since 1974. Choose wisely. You raise questions about financial burdens and chores. Do you not think of yourself as a potential financial burden and as extra chores. In 45 years of marriage my wife and I have shared innumerable joys. We’ve also supported each other through challenges that may have lead others to end the union. I can’t predict how it will go for you other than that there will be unimaginable joys and challenges no one can predict. Believe me that buying the diamond is an inconsequential expense compared with what you’ll face down the road. Don’t do it if you’re not ready. Don’t do it if she’s not ready. And choose wisely my friend.

17. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Thread over. Everything that needed to be said has been said.

2 Headed Goat and LunarSlingShot like this.
  18. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

That doesn't require marriage in any way really.

blowtorch and Piggy Stu like this.
  19. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Only you can decide if what you're having is nerves or serious doubts. If it's nerves, don't worry about it. If it's serious doubts, don't rush until and unless you know.

I'd been through a few relationships that didn't last when I was young - I always got to the point of thinking, "I'd rather be on my own than live with this woman indefinitely". And then I decided that was a smart approach and just got really comfortable with the idea of staying single indefinitely. And then, of course, once I got comfortable with that idea, I met a woman who I couldn't imagine living withOUT. We've been together about 36 years, married 33, and I think it's gonna stick.

I never had any serious doubts, but I absolutely freaked out the morning of the wedding. Thought I was physically ill. The idea that I'd never fall in love with anyone again, that it would never be new and fresh again, etc, really kind of freaked me out. And also the idea that all of these friends and family members had flown halfway or all the way across the country just for US was a little overwhelming. But then my buddies talked me down and we went and played basketball for a couple hours and I was fine. But if I'd had serious doubts, I wouldn't have done it. It only took an hour or so to realize all I had was nerves, and they didn't hit until the morning of the big day.

But only you can know. But I don't have a bad word to say about the institution of marriage. There are people here advising against it, but their objections are all transactional, material. And if that's how you look at it, you should NOT get married. But that's not really all it's about, it's a hell of a lot deeper than that. Marrying my wife is the second best thing I've ever done in life, only bettered by being a father to our daughters. It's all that really matters at the end of the day.

20. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

People in here saying their marriage worked for them is like me saying that I drove with no seatbelt and never went thru the windscreen

People who saw a lot of head on collisions might have a different opinion. Things can go wrong

Tony474, blowtorch and Muddslide like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.