To Lock Tuner or Not? Help!

Fenderbaum

Tele-Meister
I can never understand locking tuners on a hardtail.
The splitshaft and Klusons where perfect from the start in the 50s and is the only ones i use. Ive had lockers but threw them away in the end. If i need to destring a guitar with new strings, lockers are a pain. The high-e might snap on a re-seat.
The very few seconds you save changing strings on a locking compared to splitshaft is not worth it. Life isnt THAT short is it?

Never had issues with slippage. Wind the string proper and stretch those strings good and slippage is eliminated.

In a live performance the lockers can be a life saver if you dont have a backup guitar to plug in.

viking

Friend of Leo's
I have no idea why anyone would need locking tuners on a tele , but do what you like....
60 $ is not that much , but paying money to get a guitar with a heavier headstock........I dont get it.

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I don't need the frustration of trying to either get tight winds or a "luthier's lock" on those damned short post tuners

It's easy.Count 2 tuners up and cut the string on the non staggered ones and 1 tuner up and cut on the staggered ones ,you will end up like that

16647018180942962478327489704573.jpg

And of course never,ever do the stupid "luthier's lock" thing that leads you to...3 hours of trying to de-string a guitar and bloody fingers :)

Still I wish ALL guitars (not only Fenders) had split shaft safety tuners, these are the best turners ever designed.

In fact I change string FASTER on those than on lockers since many times the locking mechanism gets stuck and you need to tap the tuner in order to set free the bearing ball that locks the string.

Last edited:

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
I strongly recommend you pass on the locking tuners. They add a lot of weight in the worst place — right at the end of the neck, which changes the balance of the guitar.
I used them on my tele build, then immediately switched them out for vintage split-post tuners. For two reasons: I wanted the split-post vintage look and feel, and didn’t like the additional weight.
(And they are a pain to mount.)
They are a straightforward drop in replacement for the standard Fender enclosed tuners.

RLee77

Friend of Leo's
They are a straightforward drop in replacement for the standard Fender enclosed tuners.
They weren’t for me… it depends on what you’re starting with. They required a hole for a pin on the bottom, and the headstock hole needed was larger. (From vintage split-posts.)

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I just don’t get locking tuners on a tele…..
let’s see if I can get my tele to be a neck diver? Lol
let me know how that works out for you.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I have an American Pro II Tele which is great.

No tuning issues at all.

But, I started “gassing” for locking tuners - $60 from Fender.

Sure, it’ll make string changes easier, but I’m a hobby/bedroom player (no gigs in my future) so nary a need for quick changes.

I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need them - I really don’t.

But that darn “gas” persists.

So, dear reader finish convincing me that I am fine without them…

…unless I’m missing something that subconsciously is causing me wanting something I don’t need.
I to neeeeeeeeded them on my Am Pro ll. For the relatively small outlay they have proven there worth at every string change. They only help retain tuning in my case because I could never be bothered to to wind the strings properly onto the posts, with lockers I don't have to!

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
You don't really need locking tuners, if the saddle of your guitar is filed correctly and you don't have a vibrato system at all or it's a really good one. Maybe even with a bigsby type plus a rollerbridge.
BUt then: most of my guitars needed their saddles adjusted. It's also almost impossible to get a vintage style Strat vibrato staying in tune, when doing more action like an occasional wobble here and there.
I have a lot of guitars without locking tuners. They work fine. Nevertheless it's always a drag to change strings.
My Music Man St Vincent has locking tuners. It's the first guitar where I actually use the vibrato on a regular basis and where I absolutely do not mind changinge strings at all. Also there's no neckdive although there is added weight.
I have no idea why people so vehemently oppose locking tuners.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Instead of imagining how much cooler you and your guitar will be with them installed, imagine your buyer's remorse once you realize you've wasted $60 and at least an hour on something that has no real purpose for you.

Works for me.
My thoughts after every lesson..............................................

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I strongly recommend you pass on the locking tuners. They add a lot of weight in the worst place — right at the end of the neck, which changes the balance of the guitar.
I used them on my tele build, then immediately switched them out for vintage split-post tuners. For two reasons: I wanted the split-post vintage look and feel, and didn’t like the additional weight.
(And they are a pain to mount.)
Never found, or believed, that a few ounces can make any discernible difference to a guitar weighing pounds. The extra torque created at the end of a 25" lever will shift the centre of gravity very little.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
It's easy.Count 2 tuners up and cut the string on the non staggered ones and 1 tuner up and cut on the staggered ones ,you will end up like that

View attachment 1035712
And of course never,ever do the stupid "luthier's lock" thing that leads you to...3 hours of trying to de-string a guitar and bloody fingers :)

Still I wish ALL guitars (not only Fenders) had split shaft safety tuners, these are the best turners ever designed.

In fact I change string FASTER on those than on lockers since many times the locking mechanism gets stuck and you need to tap the tuner in order to set free the bearing ball that locks the string.
Never fathomed 'two tuners up' on the top E-)

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
I love locking tuners and put them on all guitars. I’ve not noticed increased neck dive. I’ve not noticed an improvement in tuning stability, but I DO find string changes are quicker. It’s your money to spend how you see fit. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
To the OP: you said, time saving in string changing is not needed for you. In that case, I wouldn't use locking tuners, as that is actually their only advantage, being more convenient and faster in string change.
If you like the look, well, then go for it! I think, looks are mighty important on a guitar, and if you think yours will look better with these tuners, go for them!

Others here wrote about neck diving with locking tuners and they being heavy in general. That is not true. You can get Gotoh vintage Kluson Style lockers, where you don't have to ream holes for example, and they are only very slightly heavier, than split shafts.
Breakage of strings while stringing because of using locking tuners, I never heard before. I use only locking tuners, as I hate stringing in general, and they just make it so much faster and convenient. And I never ever broke a string, not on my guitars, nor the ones in the shop I worked in.

Some locking tuners offer a higher gear ratio and are smoother to tune than most vintage tuners, can be an advantage as well.

Live, they are unbeatable anyway in case of stringbreak.

VBV Guitars

TDPRI Member
I have an American Pro II Tele which is great.

No tuning issues at all.

But, I started “gassing” for locking tuners - $60 from Fender.

Sure, it’ll make string changes easier, but I’m a hobby/bedroom player (no gigs in my future) so nary a need for quick changes.

I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need them - I really don’t.

But that darn “gas” persists.

So, dear reader finish convincing me that I am fine without them…

…unless I’m missing something that subconsciously is causing me wanting something I don’t need.
My Fender Nashville Tele came with them. I like modding guitars. If it were me I would get them. Not that I'm a big fan of locking tuners but if you are craving them, have at it.