1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

To Live Is To Fly

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by mnutz, Feb 5, 2018.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I was going through some old music binders this morning and re-discovered a bunch of great songs that I haven't played in years.

About 20 years ago I frequently jammed with a guy who played To Live Is To Fly - Townes Van Zandt, as an uptempo acoustic rocker. It was one of my favorites and just worked great with just 2 acoustic guitars.

I had actually never even heard the song before he taught it to me that way. It was quite a few years before I ever heard the original.

This morning I saw that music and instantly grabbed my guitar and belted it out just like the old days. 3 times in a row cause it sounded so cool! I probably hadn't played it in about 15 years.

I did a quick YouTube search and don't see anyone else playing it like that.

Do any of you cover that song?

Do you do any other songs completely different from the original versions?

2. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

The Cowboy Junkies did a nice cover of that one.

Townes is one of those guys that young songwriters are always discovering just when they start to think they are getting good: a little perspective that makes you work harder.

PigBoy and mnutz like this.
  3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

That's the only cover I'd heard before. It always sounded so foreign to me because it's so much more down tempo then how I learned it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.