To Harley Sportster 1200 XL or not to..?

trouserpress

Tele-Holic
It's 5.5K$, from 95 and wants me to pick it up some 250km from my place.
upload_2021-9-11_10-11-32.png

I haven't been in the wind for a very long time and probably need to be talked out of this. But ... What?

PC_Hater

Tele-Meister
Yes! Buy it. Sportsters are fun.
It has the 5 speed gearbox, the 'modern' style alternator.
Better brake calipers are available or do the twin disc conversion if it bothers you.
Led Sled Customs even sell a kickstart kit!
1250cc kits are available as is a very nice 1450cc kit from Axtell.

Remove that stupid Kuryakyn air filter and get a K&N.
I have a very pretty 1200S Sportster.

trouserpress

Tele-Holic
Yes! Buy it. Sportsters are fun.
It has the 5 speed gearbox, the 'modern' style alternator.
Better brake calipers are available or do the twin disc conversion if it bothers you.
Led Sled Customs even sell a kickstart kit!
1250cc kits are available as is a very nice 1450cc kit from Axtell.

Remove that stupid Kuryakyn air filter and get a K&N.
I have a very pretty 1200S Sportster.
Thanks, PC_Hater, that's what I hoped to hear. Seller sais it already has these mods: double 'brake piston', LED lights, 'Hypercharger Air Filter', new seat and relocated foot rests for more convenience.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

If you want a bike, like Sportsters, the price is right for where you live and you have the money to spare, I guess, why not?

I went for a ride on my Dyna today, just puttering around, and it was so pleasant.

My only advice is, also look around at what 5.5K can get you - of anything.

It’s an exercise I do before spending any large money. We can get fixated on not just one thing, but one class or type of thing, and miss other stuff.

Like, ever fancy small dingy sailing? Or, filling your garage with a model train set? Or, getting an outdoor bath thingy? Etc.

Good luck.

Pax/
Dean

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
$5.5K seems high for a 25 years old bike. They all seem to stop depreciating at that number though. 25 years old means carbs as well. I don't have a HD but I heard the 2004s and newer have better engine mounts so it won't shake you to death. I don't know when FI came about.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
$5.5K seems high for a 25 years old bike. They all seem to stop depreciating at that number though. 25 years old means carbs as well. I don't have a HD but I heard the 2004s and newer have better engine mounts so it won't shake you to death. I don't know when FI came about.

That's about what I paid for my '98 dyna wide glide 2 years ago at a dealership. Seems high for a '95 Sportster. Might want to shop around a bit.

clingin_on

Tele-Meister
I had a '97 Sportster Sport. Loved that bike.

Bear in mind, they only started rubber-mounting the engine around 2004. Mine was a bit like a pneumatic drill on sustained rides.

Edit: I see Flat6 mentioned that already.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
You can probably get a lot more bike that’s a lot more recent if you expand out beyond Harley Davidson. Seems like a real lot of money for a bike that old that Harley guys will turn their noses up at and everyone else chuckles at the name.

Wallo Tweed

Friend of Leo's
I don't know how used prices are in Germany, but around here that is high. That money could get you a something like a 2005 twin cam dyna lowrider here.

i also don't know howbikes are equipped there, but I see other things that would not be standard on a U.S. bike.

The fuel tank looks different, and all the chrome stuff around the rear wheel and fender looks like some kind of aftermarket saddle bag brackets and luggage rack.

IMHO sportsters are fun bikes to throw around corners with, and putting forward controls on them takes away from the handling.

But they are fun bikes to ride, we've had a few of them over the years.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you and happy riding!

And if you haven't ridden in a while I suggest a returning rider course.

Last edited:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Shop around. I couldn't get a taste over $5k for my 97 FLHTCU 25k miles with a custom matching Escapade trailer. The market will get even cheaper in the coming months. Good luck Harleys are fun.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Price is high for that model and year.

The accessories/modifications tell me someone discovered they really wanted a bigger/different bike.
If I were to want a Sportster, and the price was right, I wouldnt want the big seat and relocated controls, or any of that other stuff. A Sportster should be trim and lean, minimalist, bare bones bike, not a "baby bagger" IMO.
There can be exceptions to that of course, such as to suit the needs of smaller riders, etc. But to me, that bike says "I wish I bought something else"

I like them, they can be fun. A bit "appropriately crude" as a bike experience. But at 6'1" and 225lbs, I'd look like a real dork on a baby bagger I reckon. :D
FWIW, I ride a Road King classic with very limited mods- an aftermarket lay down tag bracket cleaned up the ugliness of the hideous stock bracket. And a running board spacer kit moved them out 3/4" on each side, making things feel a little more roomy and relaxed. And thats about it. Factory accessories include a removeable/ swappable mid rise passenger back rest or trunk, and the stock windshield has a quick release mechanism. I take it off for cruising around locally, but its nice on highway rides.
Cruise control, ABS etc, 6 speed trans, 103 cubic inches of v-twin. Its a really nice ride!

Last edited:

Wallo Tweed

Friend of Leo's
I did a quick search on used prices in Germany, and they are quite a bit higher than U.S. Prices.

Last edited:

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh, just saw that you're in Germany. Sorry, I have no idea what a good price would be there.