To good to be true

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
I snapped up a deal last night on Reverb - a Vox AC4-C1-12 for just over $200. I always like to pay 50 percent of the new price on used gear, so this was a really good price.

To good to be true, because this morning I got a notification that my money was refunded. Looks like it was priced incorrectly. I saw it relisted for $330, a mere 17 percent off new.

The part that gets me is that this is not the first time this has happened. Both times it was from big companies. Doesn't seem fair to me. Has this happened to you?

Torren61

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Nope. Sounds frustrating. The only thing that recently happened to me was a Reverb seller refunded my money because he was on vacation and couldn't ship the foot switch I bought. He forgot to put his account on vacation mode.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
No that ain't right at all! It's the responsibility of the poster to verify all details are accurate BEFORE posting.

Priced it too low? TS...sell it for the price listed and take the loss.
Priced it too high? It sits there forever.

IIWY, I'd write a strong email to the company/seller detailing such.

Good luck!

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
I got a price drop notification on a Marshall sc20 head from $1150 to $134. Wish I woulda jumped on that. It didn't relist yet, so it might've been legit.....

Never happened to me though.

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
Happened to me on eBay, won item at low price, pays through PayPal, gets refund within 20 minutes, item is broken as dog chewed it......sniff, sniff....is that BS I can smell?

King-of-Tone

TDPRI Member
Happened to me on NewEgg. I needed a video card for my son's PC and saw a great deal $220 on a GeForce GTX 1660. I paid, and a day later got an email my payment had been refunded and it was backordered. No it wasn't, they just realized the price was too low.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Tell us the name and DOZENS of us will complain. Sometimes what a company fears most is bad publicity.
giphy.gif

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
What the OP posted about is egregious, but it seems that the idea that, "a deal is a deal" is a fading standard. On one hand we have sellers doing what has been posted, and on the other hand there are numerous buyers willing to return purchases over the most trivial perceived issues. I think the rush to returns has been stoked by the retailers' own return policies, so they're doing that to themselves. To not honor a sale already made and paid for is, like I said above, egregious, IMHO.

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
Update: I heard back from the seller. They said the price they posted was incorrect due to a glitch in their system.

So I escalated it to Reverb. I filled out s form and explained what happened and asked whether the seller was allowed to up the price after the sale went through. I said it didn't seem fair.

So now we wait again to see what they say. I bet they wouldn't let Joe Schmo get away with that. I will update.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I've seen reasonable prices on reverb once or twice, but it's a rare occurrence.

I was looking for those Epiphone Juniors once, the kind with a bolt-on neck and humbucker that go for 50-60 bucks used. The cheapest on reverb at the time was like 180 Euros.

Texsunburst59

Friend of Leo's
I've had an AMAZING deal in a pawnshop negated by a manager while I was inspecting a Gibson Explorer at the front counter and was ready to take out my Credit Card.

The guitar tag had $300 on it, and I did a quick check, and this particular model was selling for $1100-$1300.

Where is all went wrong was that I asked the sales clerk for a phillips screw driver so I could take off the back control plate to check the pots and be 100% it was legit and somehow not a Chinese fake.

He didn't have one in the store somehow,and I went to my truck to get one.

When I got back, the manager was standing next to the salesclerk and said they could not sell me the guitar for $300 because it had been priced incorrectly.

I thought about going all "Kent"(male Karen) on him,but I decided to keep my composure and say that I understand.

I buy A LOT of guitars from this pawnshop chain, and I had no intentions of burning a bridge or getting on a "Do Not Sell To" list over this missed sale.

After that missed opportunity, a week later at that SAME pawnshop, I found a all original late 80's Kramer Barreta 1.

I found one that looked exactly like this one below for $120 out the door.

This Kramer was worth $1500+ at the time, so I got a way better deal on a guitar worth more than the Explorer I missed out on.

I ended up cashing out on the Kramer Barreta and made a small fortune on it, because I'm not an Floyd Rose or single volume knob only guitar guy.

wsjwk6gv0lfekzd9hjjt.jpg

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
Update: Reverb responded and automatically sided with the seller, saying "they had some issue with the pricing,"

If it was $3 I could understand, but $207 rather than $320 sounds like bait and switch.

So I responded to Reverb, "So I can do this too? Sounds like a good strategy to get more for my items. Thanks for the advice."

I doubt it will get me anywhere, and if I push it too much I might have my store shut down. I will let you know how they respond.

Mekhem

Tele-Holic
Well - "Old" Reverb may have sided with you. "New" reverb is geared towards the stores now with Auto inventory uploads. I might guess that the store/chain in question put it in thier inveentory with outdated details or some such and then freaked.

Dont get me wrong - its pretty BS since the seller has a responsibility to verify their own listings....