1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

To Glarry, or not to Glarry?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by mbr, Apr 17, 2021.

1. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=383924527698

This Tele doesn't have a label on the headstock, but it's obviously a Glarry. Anybody tried one of these? There's plenty of reviews on Glarrys, but what's up with the these no-names? Could they be B-stock, blems, customer returns, or something Glarry is too ashamed to put their name on?
    I can guess as well as anybody, so does anyone know for sure?

GrooveVoyager1 and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Here’s mine , heavily modified of course, I only used the body

71B9393B-25E2-48AF-950D-6826B9996A83.png

3. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

Was that one of the no-names, or did it have Glarry on the head? How was it out of the box? Did it need neck or fretwork?

4. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It had Glarry on the neck, it was real fat, I sold it on, to be fair it was ok outta the box I was surprised.
    If you look at the home page I have just loaded a report of my build, called My Glarry modified

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Not disputing that it's a Glarry, but don't know how to prove it IS........there are many Asian-made guitars made today. I know you can order quantities of un-branded guitars on Ali Baba and other sources, and I don't know if one is substantially better or worse than another. Frankly, for that price, I wouldn't expect anything "great"......but if a dog, you're not out much.
    For a cheap Tele-style, I'd look at Amazon.com. Perhaps a little more expensive, but they have a generous return policy if you're not happy. ;)

stnmtthw likes this.
  6. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

The head shape and the use of "GTL" tells me it's a Glarry.
    I don't expect it to be high-end, just functional without major work like fret level and crown.
    I'm just wondering if it's one their rejects and if anyone has/had one. It's just for noodling around in the living room.

7. MLHull

MLHull Tele-Meister

I don't know anything about them but they are identified as a GTL model. Same designation as the Glarry model. Sure looks the same right down to the cheesy accessories.

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I tried to purchase a RW neck Glarry strat (reviews said RW was thick) for that price but they kept sending me the maple neck, which was thin. I got my refund.

I rolled the dice on an IRIN strat with a RW board for less and am stoked on that neck size. Yes, it needs work but for that price I'm game.

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I purchased a Glarry S type off Amazon---from Glarry. I bought it specifically for tinkering...I'm still tinkering and rarely play it---just doesn't do it for me. While the guitar you are looking at favors the Glarry, I'd recommend paying a couple of extra bucks through Amazon to get a Glarry that you can for sure exchange, etc--if Glarry is the path you seek. It is only $20-30 more.

Alternatively, up the ante, go to Thomann and get a Harley Benton. Happy hunting.

PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The SX brand on the Rondo site are very good for the money in my experience.

bender66 and Southpaw Tele like this.
  11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got one of those a few weeks ago! My seller specifically named them as Glarry GTL.

I think they're factory seconds—which is kind of funny for the world's cheapest electric guitar.

No headstock logo, the neck was very rough, even furry in spots, and little or no finish. Plus, mine had a poly chip in the back that was not from shipping (no corresponding box damage). And there are some weird spots in the wood & finish that might have sent it to the "seconds" pile.

So, I think these are basically rejects sold at steep discounts to resellers. I complained about the chip and asked for a 10% refund, which was immediately granted.

Out of the box, it was horrible. I leveled the frets and did a setup, including recuttng the high nut slots. I sanded & true-oiled the neck and glossed the fretboard with clear poly. The bridge is pretty bad, gonna have to go. The pickups are wildly mismatched, with the neck pickup very weak, and the bridge pickup is harshly bright, will replace both.

A note: the neck is quite thick, I sanded it down somewhat, taking off some shoulder (I like slim necks).

Another thing: All the Glarry reviews raved about the light weight of their specimens; mine is on the heavy side.

Now? It's playing real nice! Still needs some tweaks. I'm going to install the neck humbucker from a Squier Bullet Mustang (modifying the pickguard for it), and see how that sounds. The bridge pickup will be replaced with something TBD. I'll replace the nut when I get a new bridge.

I bought the guitar to be my "desk guitar" that I can grab while watching lesson videos etc., and for that, it serves well (I can bang it against the desk and not worry). Doesn't need "tone for days," just a playable practice instrument. But I see potential to make it into something nicer. I do like the sunburst finish.

I'll try to get some pics together.

Overall, I'd say for $70 it's a good buy if you're into doing the needed work.

The regular Glarrys—completed ones? with headstock logo etc.—in the reviews sound like they're better, I'd be curious to compare directly.

PhredE, bgmacaw and mbr like this.
  12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

And the down side is what? I think you will not be happy if you don’t go for it.

mbr likes this.
  13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another note: The headstock has enough wood to pare down to a tele headstock shape, or close to it. That's what I did. :)

PhredE and mbr like this.
  14. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

I went ahead and ordered one. Too curious, but I may regret it. I hope it doesn't need all that work. The ad says free returns, sooo...

PhredE, nojazzhere and stormsedge like this.
  15. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

$88 bucks is nothing to quibble about. Might get a guitar you can built upon, might be something you can't work with. Are you a gambler?

16. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

It's $68. I've had project guitars before and didn't really want another. Set-up and adjustments are no problem, but if it needs anything I don't want to do myself, like a leveling, uh-uh. I'm not expecting much.
    I'm cheap and lazy. Sometimes cheap wins, sometimes lazy wins. We'll see.

17. gerhard_k

gerhard_k TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I bought one direct from Glarry, they have a 30-day return policy which I won't be using. I got the transparent yellow finish, looks beautiful with very pronounced grain, similar to the photo on their website. The fretwork is nice, fret ends are very smooth, the set-up wasn't bad out of the box. Now mind, I'm a total beginner at this, know more from youtube than in real life :D - I played with the intonation, found the truss rod nut to be very tight (frozen?) so left that alone, but neck was straight enough to allow setting with nice low action without any fret buzz. Electronics all function, but I wouldn't know a great pickup from a lousy one at this stage.

For now I'm just practicing my playing with it, I'm quite happy with it.

I put a set of $13 Wilkinson compensated brass saddles on it, just because, adds a bit of bling...

I would say, take a chance on one if you're so inclined, at the least it's a great starting platform.

mbr, 1 21 gigawatts and preactor like this.
  18. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nope. I have lots of budget models by name brands. I don’t need a cheaper version of that. That’s just where I stand. You go nuts.

19. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Been eyeing those Glarry Thinlines.

20. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

i wouldn't go any cheaper than SX. Only decent thing you get from Glarry is body and you could get a decent alder or ash body from GFS for under $100. Lots of SX buyers who got serviceable necks though SX is short on inventory right now.

PhredE likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.