To fix or not to fix - such a bummer.

Fix it or leave it

• Total voters

oregomike

Tele-Holic
View attachment 910041 I have a 2018 Fender Limited Edition Parallel Universe Series Deluxe Thinline Super Telecaster. Love it. Its orange and a dream to play. But I picked it up the other day and the paint was bubbling up and chipping right next to the bridge. And I looked at it again today and it looks like the bubbling is growing. This is not a vintage guitar yet, But I'm wondering if I should try and get it fixed (gonna be tough to paint match) or put some super glue on it to stop the chipping? Or just leave it alone and let it chip as it doesn't hurt the playability. I'm just afraid if I go to sell it someday that whatever I chose to do now will turn someone off. Thoughts?

"2018 Fender Limited Edition Parallel Universe Series Deluxe Thinline Super Telecaster"

That's got to be the longest name for a guitar model. : )

Sorry, I don't have anything useful advice other than maybe apply sealer and leave it.

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister
Blurry pic makes it difficult to see if the chipped area is down to the wood or to the undercoat? Just looked up the specs for the guitar and found that the body is finished in Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer. Here's an article on Bubbles in lacquer top coat. It will not solve you problem but may help you understand the why of it and unfortunately there is more than one cause. Bubbles in lacquer topcoat (woodweb.com)

Last edited:

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I can't tell how bad it is. I fixed some similar chipping on a really nice guitar because I was certain it would spread. I went full bore and made the repair invisible, but that's a tall order. At the very least, a little super glue to prevent it from getting worse would be a good idea.

magicfingers99

Friend of Leo's
Though I changed out the bridge, I believe I have the same guitar as you. After reading your post, I raced to my music room to check it out. I don't see the same issue as you, not yet anyway....

View attachment 910098

For what it's worth, I've sometimes found attempts to correct issues end up compounding them.

Anyhow, I understand it's a real bummer -- sorry. But it's still a fun guitar, right?!
worst case scenario, and the glue doesn't work or looks worse. A nice sticker will hide all sins...

upload_2021-10-19_13-32-43.jpeg

skunqesh

Tele-Holic
havin' looked at a lot of nekkid tele photos over the years (nekkid = dismantled) chipping in the corner seems to happen alot.

probably a variety of reasons, compounded by the stress pressure of the tele bridge / mounting screws.

I personally prefer road worn, but in this case I voted to fix/stablize.

It's a sweet color, a slick guitar, and it's clearly gnawin attcha.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
Just think about later, when Fender are making the FlashB signature model, how hard the custom shop crew will have to work to recreate that.

they will just leave it out of the Squire version probably.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
View attachment 910041 I have a 2018 Fender Limited Edition Parallel Universe Series Deluxe Thinline Super Telecaster. Love it. Its orange and a dream to play. But I picked it up the other day and the paint was bubbling up and chipping right next to the bridge. And I looked at it again today and it looks like the bubbling is growing. This is not a vintage guitar yet, But I'm wondering if I should try and get it fixed (gonna be tough to paint match) or put some super glue on it to stop the chipping? Or just leave it alone and let it chip as it doesn't hurt the playability. I'm just afraid if I go to sell it someday that whatever I chose to do now will turn someone off. Thoughts?

That's a normal spot for a Tele to show some wear. I'd let nature take its course.

dsc_0431-jpg.904094

MoHump

TDPRI Member
Not my first guitar. Not my first ding. Just really a bummer on this bright orange guitar that I didn't bump into anything. Must be a problem with original paint or temp changes.
It's a factory error, the wood wasn't properly prepared before the paint was applied. No way to tell how far this will go. If you can, take it to a luthier that works on acoustic instruments.

Idaho Red

NEW MEMBER!
I think it could be a lubricant like nut lube that got under the paint where the string goes through. If you pull the Bridge, it is probably a much larger area. Fixing this is a lot tougher and I'm not even sure a CA glue would help much. That said I would leave it alone and if it keeps spreading then try to feather it out.

Slim Chance

Tele-Afflicted
Unless you have it worked on by a master, then you probably won't be satisfied by anything less than a respray, which might cost the same as a repair done right.

parksls

NEW MEMBER!
Personally I find it amazing Fender doesn’t want to know about this
If the quality control is substandard and the paint is “bubbling” then there was a fault that as a manufacturer of expensive goods should be liable for
If you had a Ford car and paint started to flake or fade after 4 years then you would be taking it back to dealer
I have 6 Teles in my stable of many guitars ranging from 60s to present and none have blemishes like that. Yes dings do occur over time
I’d be continuing your argument back to Fender and perhaps using social media to see if others have experienced this

Bikersluggo

Tele-Holic
@FlashB or @SparkleFart - Does this model have a bass roll-off in place of the tone control? do you feel it's an effective feature? Could you check under the hood and post a snapshot of the controls or make a diagram? I have a similar guitar with a pair of TV Jones Classics and it could use a bass cut in place of the tone knob. I checked Fender's site for a diagram but couldn't find anything. Are the pots 500K?

Mark617

Tele-Meister
You know how much guys are paying for “ relic’d “ now ? Lol
You probably just raised the value of it

5haun

TDPRI Member
Personally I find it amazing Fender doesn’t want to know about this
If the quality control is substandard and the paint is “bubbling” then there was a fault that as a manufacturer of expensive goods should be liable for
If you had a Ford car and paint started to flake or fade after 4 years then you would be taking it back to dealer
I have 6 Teles in my stable of many guitars ranging from 60s to present and none have blemishes like that. Yes dings do occur over time
I’d be continuing your argument back to Fender and perhaps using social media to see if others have experienced this
If it had been bought new from Fender I'd expect them to do more. However with a second-hand guitar anything could have happened. The previous owner might have removed the bridge at some point, decided the screws were a bit tight and trickled some sewing machine oil into the screw holes.

Red Ryder

Tele-Holic
OK so you need to sit down and prepare for the bad news.

Your guitar has too many names.
Eliminate some of those names and it will get better in a few months

Fender
Limited
Edition
Parallel
Universe
Series
Deluxe
Thinline
Super
Telecaster

If you can trim off seven or eight of the ten names it should fully recover, but there will probably still be some scarring.
Those are a lot of names, I guess if he just said my guitar has a chip in the paint everyone would say, so what and move on to the next post, My Paint Has a Guitar In It.

TelePlank

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I would have a shop try and fix it. If I loved it and planned to keep it. If resale value is a factor maybe leaving it alone or stabilizing it is best. I had this happen to 3 used Fenders I bought and it happened in different spots on the body. All were poly by the way. Bugged the snot out of me because I didn't do anything to make it to happen. Keep in mind they were all '04/'05's. Maybe something about that period in the factory they had issues who knows. Sold them and was up front about it.