To fix or not to fix - such a bummer.

Fix it or leave it

• Total voters

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
That sort of chipping is due to the bridge mounting screws being cranked down so tightly that the wood beneath the finish distorts, and that causes the finish bond to fail. The finish is harder and less flexible than the wood, so it separates from the wood. It's a good bet the rest of the finish around the damage will remain tight because the wood is not compressed out of shape.

This kind if thing is more common around the plate of screw-on necks. You can do a spot repair on these sorts of things; a good repair tech can get a close color match. It becomes more difficult to match if the finish is an opaque metallic, however.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
if you have a hobbie store near you, you can try to get TESTOR's model enamel paint that may be very close to your color ,( brush on not spray ) I did a repair to a paint chip on my epi firebird, I was able to find the correct match of white , and following Dan Erliwines instructions from his book and videos , I did 2 complete invisable repairs with out issues, but it is laborious and detailed. if you are not that kind of person, dont try it, I took my time and did the repairs in stages complete to polishing the repairs with automotive polish at the end and blended the repair site to to the finish of the original color, totally invisable ,
but again if your are not patient, detail oriented ,and motivated dont try , the repair may be an eyesore.

the computer does not do this justice , a physical match at a store would be your best bet

https://www.testors.com/~/media/Dig...harts/RM280035_0914_TestorsPremiumPaints.ashx

https://www.testors.com/en/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/enamel-paint/enamel-paints

Last edited:

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Thanks for the photo, but when HE said 'pictures' plural, WE weren't kidding... :)

Cos, I really want to know if it is the same as the @SparkleFart guitar, which I just fell in love with. And, hey, @SparkleFart it's pictures plural, right! :)

I voted leave it, but I also totally get the idea that for some guitars, their colour / finish is an extremely important feature.

But, I still say, leave it.

Or, if not, get someone (which may well be you) who knows what they are doing. No point in compounding problems by accident.*

Pax/
Dean
* as we presumably don't usually compound them by design

SparkleFart

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Thanks for the photo, but when HE said 'pictures' plural, WE weren't kidding... :)

Cos, I really want to know if it is the same as the @SparkleFart guitar, which I just fell in love with. And, hey, @SparkleFart it's pictures plural, right! :)

Thanks for your interest. If you're inclined here's a link to my NGD post on it nearly a year ago. The color in the photos isn't as vibrant as in-person.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-the-pumpkincaster.1053166/

Incidentally, I later learned that I was far from the first to name something "Pumpkincaster." The universe frequently reminds I'm not so clever as I'd wish :lol:

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
…here's a link to my NGD post on it nearly a year ago…

…The universe frequently reminds I'm not so clever as I'd wish :lol:

Thanks. I’m about to check it out. The time zone thing often means I miss things, or arrive very late (I’ll probably go there and see I was the second person to reply :rolleyes:).

And yes, I sometimes feel the universe is my personal nemesis. The rest of the time I understand that I am…

Pax/
Dean

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi again.

I don’t appear to have seen it, as I remember nothing about it…

…except…

…the @Fiesta Red comment about loving orange, and those photos seem familiar…

Maybe he’s made similar before?

Oh, nice background pumpkin themed bits.

Pax/
Dean

MrCairo46

Friend of Leo's
I’ve heard that Parallel Universe Series guitars tend to chip when brought too close to Flux capacitor equipped car. Do you or your neighbors own a modified Delorean?

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
if you have a hobbie store near you, you can try to get TESTOR's model enamel paint that may be very close to your color ,( brush on not spray ) I did a repair to a paint chip on my epi firebird, I was able to find the correct match of white , and following Dan Erliwines instructions from his book and videos , I did 2 complete invisable repairs with out issues, but it is laborious and detailed. if you are not that kind of person, dont try it, I took my time and did the repairs in stages complete to polishing the repairs with automotive polish at the end and blended the repair site to to the finish of the original color, totally invisable ,
but again if your are not patient, detail oriented ,and motivated dont try , the repair may be an eyesore.

the computer does not do this justice , a physical match at a store would be your best bet

https://www.testors.com/~/media/Dig...harts/RM280035_0914_TestorsPremiumPaints.ashx

https://www.testors.com/en/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/enamel-paint/enamel-paints
Finger nail polish also works. I have several bottles in my shop, I just say no honey I haven't seen your polish.

Mark the Moose

Tele-Afflicted
This is usually more of an issue with drummers, but just in case: don’t eat the paint chips.

As was previously surmised, it is probably due to an over tightened bridge screw and won’t continue to spread. A repair may look worse than the chip. You could coat the area with some kind of clear coat to protect it from further damage, you could also modify the original design by adding a center stripe decal to cover the blemish. Or you could mourn and celebrate the war wound and play some music.

FlashB

TDPRI Member
Though I changed out the bridge, I believe I have the same guitar as you. After reading your post, I raced to my music room to check it out. I don't see the same issue as you, not yet anyway....

View attachment 910098

For what it's worth, I've sometimes found attempts to correct issues end up compounding them.

Anyhow, I understand it's a real bummer -- sorry. But it's still a fun guitar, right?!
Yes same awesome guitar!

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Early on in my playing anytime I would find a ding (nitro or poly) I would ask my local shop what to do to stabilize and prevent it from growing or multiplying.

They would wryly reply with something like: don't feed it after midnight. Unlike Gremlins, it can get wet. Then they went on to explain that most "fixes" (including super glue or nail polish) are not necessary to prevent spread, don't actually prevent spread if you have a "systemic" adhesion problem or whatever (quite rare), and look worse than the chip.

None of them ever "spread".

The guitars always acquired more dings though. Cymbals, mic stands, case latches, bass players ramming their their headstock into the guitar when not paying attention on stage, bumping into tables close to the "stage" (really a "separate" space on the floor) all happen.

Point being, the internet is full of guys telling you the sky is falling and your finish will be on the floor in no time. I just don't think it happens in real life (except for the rare exception that proves the rule).

I'm surprised and pleased to see the overwhelming weight of responses say leave it be.

El Marin

Friend of Leo's
It needs that hole to breath, like goldfinger girl... if not, it can die of suffocation

goldfinger-shirley-eaton-700x440.jpg