To Esquire or not Esquire

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by EspyHop, Jul 11, 2020.

1. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I have a few too many Teles, including a ‘50s CV Tele. I’m debating whether or not to turn it into an Esquire partscaster, because I kind of want an Esquire, especially a pine Esquire.

While I love the body (cool grain) and bridge pickup, I don’t like the neck. I was thinking a ‘51 U-neck would be sweet.

However, I don’t know if it would be worth it or if I should just sell it.

035CF12C-2E89-4C2F-ADEA-E8996E3F65F9.jpeg

stantheman likes this.
  2. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

Do it. The neck pocket is a bit wider then Fender specs, yes? Musikraft can go a bit wider on the neck pocket. You can always switch it back to it's stock configuration if you change your mind.

3. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Do it, what've you got to lose? Join the Esquire club. They seem to be coming back into fashion which is amazing. I love them. Simplicity and style in wood, plastic and metal.

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's your guitar ... do what you must . . .

Just post pics and comments when done ...

Deeve likes this.
  5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Esquire à la Steve Cropper :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-tbln

rangercaster, Brendan and EspyHop like this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

If you're changing the neck, too much monkey business for a Squier, IMO. If you're going so far as to order a nice neck, just get a nice pine body built to spec as well.

If you just want to pull the neck pickup and rewire it as an Esquire, have at it. This cost of the mod is the cost of a pickguard, and maybe 50 cents for a cheap Radio Shack cap.

The best mileage you'll get from a mod to that guitar is by installing a new, high quality neck pickup, IMO. The stock one is definitely the weak link of the whole axe – perhaps why you are considering making it an Esquire in the first place.

rangercaster likes this.
  7. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Esquires are the ultimate guitars.

9D274634-FC72-44FF-8392-235AA843BE6D.jpeg

8. Sglnd

Sglnd TDPRI Member

Why are the neck pick-ups on Squier CV 50s Telecasters considered bad? Not strong enough? I raised mine a little and lowered the one by the bridge. There's still a difference in volume, but that's all right; that bridge pick-up was designed to be loud, right?

9. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Myself, I much prefer an Esquire that has the Les Paul Junior controls, no Switch. Simple, no thinking. Also a 1” thick U Neck throughout with at least a 9” radius with medium
    Jumbo frets.

I do prefer having the neck pickup cavity routed in because
    there is something about having the empty cavity that changes the tonal structure at very low volumes.

That is my dream Esquire.:D:D

PS: actually PRS, speaking of Esquires and Juniors down in
    Baltimore there is smoke that a “new & improved”
    Korina SE-ONE Indonesian may be out in small numbers with Volume & Tone controls, which makes more sense than the original Van Junior design which was extremely limiting
    to a non-equalizer player and because of Paul’s bromance (Your volume is YOUR Tone) with the guy who looks like Mickey Dolenz - Jimmy Van Heusen?

I jest.:oops:

10. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

@EspyHop

yes

i did this
    4d9a27fc-5173-4527-a3d8-b1153831ba2c.jpg

to this recently

IMG_20200630_092830576.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 09.27.56.jpeg

worth the solder iron burn on my thumb ten times over

EspyHop and Deeve like this.
  11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic

Well would you like more options on a guitar? Two pups are a min for me. Sure it’s cool and historical but so was the model-T. We’ve progressed.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  12. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

FWIW, my esquired CV BSB is my favorite guitar. Love the sound, love the feel. If the neck bothers you, replace it. For the cost of the neck and some time, you can end up with a unique and interesting guitar. You'll save a few bucks by not having to replace the body or some of the electronics (I upgraded posts/wiring/jack). I kept the stock bridge and bridge pickup. I sometimes contemplate trying a new pickup, but then I play it and the feeling goes away.

13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

60s Esquire Esquire.JPG

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Pinecaster.JPG Build your own from scratch. I found it easier to do than try convert something and the cost is not that much. You can find pine bodies all over the net and most are Fender spec. If you don't want to do your own wiring, there a tons of pre wired control plates with whatever setup you want and you can then concentrate on the neck which is the most important part. I have pine part esquire and wouldn't trade of for anything. She really can sing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    EspyHop and Deeve like this.
  15. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

It’s only one pickup, but still has three distinct tones. If I end up turning it into an Esquire, I’m going with a .003uF ceramic disc cap for the fixed “bass” tone position to give it more of a Gibson tone. That would be like having an Esquire and a Junior in one guitar.

Festofish likes this.
  16. branbolio

branbolio TDPRI Member

I say give it a shot
    But maybe find a cheaper replacement neck from Stratosphere or elsewhere

I’ve always been a 2 pup guy but one day I visited a friend who had an Esquire and boy was it inspiring to play. I felt like it could almost do it all and really brought out some things in my playing that have stuck with me since.

fenderchamp likes this.
  17. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Be careful now....

It's funny how, you get your hands on an esquire, you slap one together because it's a little and easier to make or whatever... and then it turns out to be real rude and it up and elbows every other guitar you have out of the way and before you know it, it's your favorite guitar, and you forget all about that flabby neck pickup and that watered down sounding middle position... and it's all you want to play.

I think it's a mental thing, the esquire takes me into my own playing and interior space, in a way that no other guitars ever have, including Jrs. I love the switch, and the 1 excellent single coil tele bridge pickup, and the 25 1/2 scale ... and dangit I love the whole thing.

The esquire, for whatever reason, is an addictive little package and it is one of the many cases where less is more.

It is not a telecaster, even though telecaster players will try to tell you it all day long....

I'm tellin' you. Don't do it.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I turned a Squier into and Esquire and I love it.

[​IMG]

I bought a preassembled electronics assembly made with top notch parts and the new pick guard on Amazon for about $85 total. I gigged it about 2 weeks ago and it was great.

[​IMG]

Best $85 project ever!

guitarist232345 and EspyHop like this.
  19. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Good news, you can just keep the current configuration and call it an Esquire...some had two pickups :D:D

20. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

True enough but misses the point don't it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.