To compensate or not to compensate?

Do you like compensated saddles on a vintage style Telecaster?

• Yay - I need my Tele as in tune up and down the neck as I can get it

Votes: 68 74.7%
  • Nay - It's close enough and it make a Tele a Tele. Want perfect intonation, buy a 6 saddle bridge.

Votes: 23 25.3%

• Total voters

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
That is the question. I'm seriously torn here. Need new brass saddles and I like the idea of better intonation, I don't like the looks compared to regular barrel saddles. The Gotoh saddles look closest to the part. The angled Fender ones look like an old timer tweaked the regular saddles with some pliers, which is cool. But good old barrels look the best. What do you like and experiences with each?

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve said it a million times here but I’m really happy with my Wilkinson. Perfectly intonated but brass saddles like a traditional tele. Put it on and set it up myself. I put it on about 9 years ago and occasionally consider changing it. But I’m too happy with it.

Made my 1500 AUD Nashville sound like a 3000Aud guitar.

MisterBlonde

TDPRI Member
I don't have much experience with Tele's, not used to the traditional barrels. Did try slightly flat tuning but went for Gotoh 'in tune' brass saddles.

Not gonna bother with brass nut...

MisterBlonde

TDPRI Member
Compensated Saddles are important to me if I want to record with that guitar.
The rest is a bit of cork sniffing.
Screenshot_20220112-205704-100.png

I don't have the right attire, or money, to be a corksniffer... lol

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I’m for compensated. I’ve replaced the stock plate and saddles on my Tele with one from Callaham. I could live with the original set up if there was no alternative, like others did for 40-50 years, but like having the tuning improvement.

I did the same to my Rickenbacker 12 and replaced the standard 6 saddle bridge with a 12 (I don’t understand why that’s not standard at this point, it’s hard enough to tune and keep in tune as it is!).

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I like a bridge that's easy to intonate, so I prefer the modern. If I cared about the differences in tone between bridges or saddes, I wouldn't have put noise cancelling pickups in both of my Teles. And since I play through a modeling pedal, I can make my partscaster sound like a Les Paul or Strat through a Marshall or Fender amp, or even an electro-acoustic. So who cares what sound comes out of the guitar jack.

user name

Tele-Meister
I'm not sure why anyone would chose regular saddles because they're "close enough" when there are so many great compensated options available nowadays. If you enjoy playing a chord anywhere above the 5th fret, you'll want a guitar that is intonationated. I like Glendale, but there are plenty of others that get the job done

speranza

TDPRI Member
I love the Glendale ones and after a few years of using them the uncompensated ones look weird to me. You'll get used to it!

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
Do you spend more time looking at your saddles....or playing on them.?..

I think function should prevail, if you think your intonation on regular brass saddles needs looking into..;)
Well looks must play into it for most people because otherwise they would just use a 6 saddle bridge instead of compensated saddles with a fixed intonation if function were the only objective.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I generally use Rutters Straight Compensated Brass Saddles.
Never had a problem getting perfect intonation out of them.

20200921_120427631_iOS.jpg 20220814_215257480_iOS.jpg

I also have been dabbling recently with Gotoh In-Tune saddles.
Still managed to get perfect intonation from them as well.

20220814_214714213_iOS.jpg