To close for comfort

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
I decided to route the channels for the purfling and binding on an acoustic build. I am very anal retentive when it comes to doing any cut. I take multiple practice cuts in scrap and make sure all is dialed in. This will be a b/w/b/w/b purfling binding combination. I was cutting the channel for the purfling. The bearing thickness was just slightly off, so I switched to a different bearing. I made about 3 practice cuts to dial it in. All went well, I then started the cut on the actual guitar, after about 8 inches in I knew something was wrong based on the smoke coming off the guitar. Stopped and immediately noticed that I had installed the bearing upside down. Doh! Then promptly reached down and grabbed said bearing, burning both of my fingers. I may have said a few bad words. It had burnt a very ugly bearing width mark on the side of the guitar. The good news is that the bearing was not ruined, I flipped it over rechecked the cut again and finished it. The binding cut did take the burnt area off, so all worked out in the end.
Moral of this long thread is to triple check everything, including bearing orientation! Always wear a dust mask, hearing and eye protection. My safety equipment is hanging right over my bench all the time!
I was lucky today. Pic of the trial fit for the purfling and binding.
0800B03F-54BE-4D70-A81B-ED1ACF7D76DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
On my binding router bearing there is a small washer that rides on the inner race and keeps the bolt from binding it.

One other thing to always remember when doing anything with a router or changing blades in a saw or anything else like that is is to unplug the power chord. In industry that is called "tag out lock out" and in the company I worked for it was subject to discipline if you didn't do it

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
On my binding router bearing there is a small washer that rides on the inner race and keeps the bolt from binding it.

One other thing to always remember when doing anything with a router or changing blades in a saw or anything else like that is is to unplug the power chord. In industry that is called "tag out lock out" and in the company I worked for it was subject to discipline if you didn't do it
I have the SM set of bearings. Mine also has a washer, but one side of the bearing is inset. The bolt and washer go on the inset side, I had it flipped.
Good call on the plug, I always pull the plug. My mentor never does…he is a retired wood shop teacher! Sigh

mjr428

Tele-Holic
I have the SM set of bearings. Mine also has a washer, but one side of the bearing is inset. The bolt and washer go on the inset side, I had it flipped.
Good call on the plug, I always pull the plug. My mentor never does…he is a retired wood shop teacher! Sigh
Pulling the plug just seems like common sense... I'm too scared to not pull the plug. I can just imagine accidently flipping the switch when changing a bit or blade...

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
And I'll add: ensure the router switch is in the off position before you plug in the power cord. 😳
I hope that is not warning based on experience. Yikes. I approach woodworking with the attitude that every tool in my shop can hurt me if it is not treated with respect.