To Buy Or Not To Buy, That Is The Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by colchar, Sep 21, 2021.

Should I buy an Orange AD30 now, or wait?

1. Buy now

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Wait

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

It is probably stupid of me to ask this considering that this forum is full of enablers, but I need help making a decision.

I used to have an Orange AD30 amp that I really liked. I stupidly traded it away, and regretted it almost immediately.

There are a couple of AD30 combos available right now at good prices, and I am trying to decide whether or not to buy one.

The thing is that I don't need the amp right now. Hell, I don't ever actually need it as I just play at home so could easily get by with one amp. At the moment I have a Traynor YGM-3 reissue that I am very happy with so the Orange would be a bonus, nothing more.

I cannot decide whether to buy one now when there are some available at good prices, or leave it for now and take the chance that there are none available at good prices when I do eventually give in and get one (and let's face it, we all know that I'm going to give in at some point).

So should I grab one while prices are good? Or should I leave it, keep the money for the time being, and risk having to pay a fair bit more later on?

What say you?

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Do you want it? Can you afford it? Do you have space for it? More importantly, do you have permission from SWMBO? If yes, buy it.

3. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Does a bear poop in the woods?

Yes. It would be smarter to put the money to other uses, but I can afford it and would not be going without anything to make the purchase.

Yep.

I'm single. My dog won't like it because he hates when I play while he's sleeping, but some rubbing behind the ears and a couple of treats will win him over.

guitar_paul1 and rojo412 like this.
  4. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

2 at good price ?

Buy both and run stereo !

( that'll teach you to call me an enabler )
    :D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yeah two. One has that typical saggy grill cloth that seems to be unique to Orange amps, the other is $100 more and doesn't have that problem.

Wyzsard likes this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I voted wait

But I understand you. I sold a well loved amp and was looking for others like a headless hen... at the end I recovered my old amp.

So, as I see you can afford it... GO!

colchar and Wyzsard like this.
  7. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Well, used prices seem to keep going up. So your call.

colchar likes this.
  8. arlum

arlum Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

First try hard to remember why the first one is no longer there. Wishful thoughts don't always equate to dreams.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Gear isn’t about need unless you actually need it so that question has been answered. If it’s something that will make you happy and you have cash on hand, or can at least pay it off in a few months, go for it. If thinking there’ll be a better deal tomorrow is holding you back, it won’t matter of you already have it.

10. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Ask anyone who has gone through a major loss in their life — the one thing that gets them through it is recalling the accumulation of good memories they experienced in their life.

Go get that Orange and make some memorable moments with it.

11. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

if you've seen one, played it and really want it, then yeah go for it. if you haven't then by all means keep an eye out for one, but don't commit yourself until you know it's right for you.

12. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Devil’s advocate: don’t buy it at all.

You let it go for a reason, seemingly stupid or not. You were okay letting it go at that time.

I did the same thing, and even bought back some stuff I had before. Guess what, those pieces of gear I absolutely “needed” to have back and right my past wrongs, I sold it again down the road.

Move along on the tone journey.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I mean, you've sold one before, so you know how easy it was to sell, and how much you got back... I can't really see the loss in buying it, if you sell it again you'll know it's definately not for you.

northernguitar likes this.
  14. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

If you can afford it, buy it and enjoy it. Life is too short.

I’ve bought and sold the same model amps many times over the years. I’ve also bought back the exact same amp again, when I found it for sale years later. I’ve actually done this with a few amps (and guitars).

All purchased while seeking my perfect tone. After 10-15 years of doing so trying to find the perfect amp(s) for me, I’ve realized that no amp is perfect. I also realized what were a few amps were that I most enjoyed owning and that these few amps had the tones that I preferred. I’m glad that I repurchased my favorite amps.

OP, buy the AD30. If you decide that it’s no longer your thing, you can probably resell it without a loss or even make a small profit. If you don’t at least try an AD30 again, you’ll never know and always wonder.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  15. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I wouldn’t stress over it? Seems these are usually available on the used market. Maybe buy it when you’re 100% enthusiastic.

16. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

I procrastinate over purchases when I'm not sure I really want the item, or (esp for used gear) I'm not sure what a good price is. Seems like you're good to go on both issues.

colchar likes this.
  17. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

When faced with such a choice the answer is always get the Twin Reverb.

colchar and Happy Enchilada like this.
  18. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted

Coming to this forum and posing that question is like walking into a saloon and asking the guy about to pass out at the bar if you should have a drink. Everybody here is either currently suffering or has recently suffered an attack of GAS. So you'll get a lot of unqualified "yes" answers.

However, it sounds like this purchase won't be taking food off anyone's dish.
    You don't have to ask "Mother may I."
    It's a "good deal" price-wise.
    Money's not an object.

So if you have an itchy trigger finger, go ahead and squeeze.

You might want to sleep on it for a couple days. I do that when I'm contemplating a large and non-essential (i.e., not food, clothing, or shelter) purchase, mulling it over in my mind just what I'd do with the thing, and about half the time it fades and I end up saving the money or finding something else I actually NEED.

The older I get, the more I realize that THINGS don't make you happy, but they're NICE to have around. And occasionally they contribute greatly to MOMENTS of happiness.

Worse comes to worse, if it's a stone cold bargain, you can always sell it off and make a few bucks.

colchar likes this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I said wait, just so everyone here is not telling you "Now!". We can't all be enablers...

20. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

It is only gone because I made a rash decision about buying a guitar (which I no longer have). I used the amp to help finance that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.