To Bigsby or not?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
That's what I think too - adding a Bigsby opens the tone up - something a Vibrate doesn't do.

I don't know if it sounds different, but I guess that would make sense. I just don't like a wonky mounting method just for consumer indecision and convenience. It's lame.

My theory on this is that hollow and semi-hollow guitars often lack the strong sustain that many solid bodies have. With vibrato provided by fingers or a whammy, it tends to prolong the note(s) longer, creating a little more sustain. But that is just a theory.

I lump semi-hollows and solidbodies together, because they are more like each other to me. You may be right about sustain, but I think timbre is way more complicated than that, so I stick to just evaluating if I like a sound or not. It's not always more or less sustain, or something I can pin down that easy.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I'll add one other comment. I will install a Bigsby or other trem if someone wants it, as the red guitar in my previous post. But I have also removed them for people who don't want or like them. Here is a little semi hollow that a friend bought and didn't like, I simple put a tail piece on and plugged the mounting holes. He can always reinstall the Bigsby if he wants

View attachment 1000849
I'll bet he could get a good price for that Bigsby on eBay right now!😁

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
I haven't had personal experience with a Bigsby that stayed in tune - maybe I've never played a high end one. I vote for whatever doesn't require you to drill holes.
I have an import that is basically upgraded to US Bigsby spec. Roller tension bar from Biggsfix, and OEM roller bridge. I highly recommend the Butchie Bar instead of those UGLY Vibramate String Spoiler contraptions that destroy the nice aesthetic of the Bigsby. Tuning stability is exceptional
20220416_101147.jpg

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
I don’t own a single guitar with a vibrato on it. And something about playing a semi hollow and big chords makes you really miss having something.
I have dealt with bigsby’s in the past on gretsch guitars I have owned. Never had the problems I hear of people keeping them in tune. And I just miss having something in the Arsenal with the wiggle stick on it.

This 335 is a life goal guitar for me and I lucked up and got one that is perfect. So I don’t mind permanently mounting something to it if it will enhance the guitar in some way.
But that’s such a beautiful guitar.

Last edited:

Mindthebull

Tele-Meister
Vibramate is the way to go. Have one on a 339. Never regretted it. May swap it out to put on a Les Paul some day. You don’t even know it’s there.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I just bought a gorgeous used Gibson ES 335 Figured. My favorite look on one of these guitars has always been a factory bigsby guitar with a B7. I am wanting to add one to my new guitar but have heard from some friends that they are unsure they would mount one to the body on the guitar. It has a great flame top and plays and sounds great. So what are you thoughts? Will it affect guitar playability or sustain or would you cover up some of the top?
I like Bigsbys a lot and if you're not too wild with them, they stay in tune pretty well. However I would not put a Bigsby on an expensive guitar like an ES-335 that didn't come with it, specially one with a figured top. Keep your 335 like it is and get a hollowbody Gretsch Players Edition. Most of them have Bigsbys and give you really cool sounds you can't get with a 335.

20220704_215422.jpg

Last edited:

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
This makes me wonder what one of the aforementioned trem systems would do on one of those funky offset Jaguar Squiers that come with no trem?

McGoldTopp

TDPRI Member
B6 and a towner bar, less mess and plates and adapters and crap.

B3 and B7 put the end of the arm at the bridge.

I prefer at least past the bridge pickup.

those “custom made” plates look horrible

Towner bar on both of these…

b3 and b7 have the same reach

B6 is just right…

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
B6 and a towner bar, less mess and plates and adapters and crap.

B3 and B7 put the end of the arm at the bridge.

I prefer at least past the bridge pickup.

those “custom made” plates look horrible

Towner bar on both of these…

b3 and b7 have the same reach

B6 is just right…

I think that would be my choice. Was the Towner bar necessary to get enough down-force? I guess ultimately, it depends on the neck angle of each instrument.

Squishy spring??

giogolf

Tele-Meister
I have a Duesenberg Les Trem II that I took off a customers LP Custom if anyones interested.. Its posted here in the classifieds.. I think it was used twice and the customer wanted to go back to standard bridge setup as he bought this guitar from someone else this way..

Just thrown it out there..