1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

To all the Marshall Origin 5C owners out there...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by smuc, Nov 30, 2020.

1. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Picked this amp up used a few days ago despite the "bad" reviews on YouTube. Got a nice deal out of it so I reckoned, if it sounds like crap I will just use the cab & transformers to build something else.

Plugged it in... meeeh. Sounds like crap. Anything I tried sounded flat, dead, neurotic and fizzy. And I was thinking to myself, well how in the hell can a SE amp sound like hot garbage when almost all the SE amps that I own sound great. It cannot be only the speaker.

And then it struck me - the difference between my other amps and this one is the EQ stack. Knowing that EQ sections usually "cut" the signal, I thought that if I turned everything up (essentially reducing this cut to a minimum), the signal would be "preserved".

And boy oh boy was I right. Turning the TMB all the way up transformed this little hot piece of garbage into a "Marshall style Champ"! And with the tilt control, you essentially have the "Tone" control which Champ actually does not have. With the TMB all the way up, there is no bad setting on this amp!!

So guys...Turn the EQ to 11 and enjoy! ;)

LowCaster, Treynor and Jakedog like this.
  2. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking of buying the Origin 20C combo but for £50 more I could have the Origin 50C.
    I've only read good reviews.

Everything sounds better when you turn it up. :twisted:

WalthamMoosical and smuc like this.
  3. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

The thing with this one is that even when you turn it up with "normal" TMB controls, it sounds horrible. :)

As for the 20C vs 50C - I would always go for a low watt amp. The last amp I gigged with was a "small" 18W Marshall which was too loud for small venues and which I always needed to dial it back to 3-4!

ClashCityTele likes this.
  4. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I bought the 50 head, with the reasoning being I own a bunch of 20-odd watt tube amps, and it did not make sense to buy yet another amp with similar wattage at that point in time.

Having now sold that 50 head, I do look at the 20 head from time to time, and wonder what might have been.

ClashCityTele likes this.
  5. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

To late. I sold mine. I thought it sounded like crap.

6. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I know. All the amps on my 'wanted' list are 15W - 22W. I just thought if I was buying a Marshall, I may as well have a 50W one. Even though it would be too loud. You've convinced me. I'll stick to 30W or less.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.