to all folks who sell music equipment anywhere, here is some solid advice.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Dec 7, 2019.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Most times, you will win with a trade. If you say no trade, you loose the oppoertunity to possible find someone who just might trade you more value and maybe an easier item to sell, and perhaps make an extra buck. When I see an ad, I always offer trade FIRST. I am already interested in the product just by contacting the seller. If they say sorry sale only, thats alright, I will buy it if I need or want it bad enough. But don't be foolish and not respond to offers. I have someone playing this GAME on craigslist. I politely asked if they were interested in a trade NO RESPONSE, 2 or 3 times. SO I went elsewhere. But 1 month later, the item is still on craigslist. SO again I contact them and ask if they have an issue cause I contacted them a couple of times. SO now, i ask him to text the number. SO in the text I make the trade Offer, NO RESPONSE. If the imbecile would have written, sorry no trades, I need cash, guess what? He's have the cash 3 days ago. Operating like this is just silly and not getting him nowhere. And I'm pissed enough that I won't offer him anything. People are loosing the logic of negotiating. It hurts them and it hurts us.

daddyplaysbass and Festofish like this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Why didn't you get the message after the first non-reponse?

Peegoo, modavis99, HTSMetal and 25 others like this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes maybe people don't realize that trying to sell something needs a disqualifier.
    Maybe they just want to sell it.

4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Loose and lose aren't the same word. Did you lose your dictionary?

Switchy, dented, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Because sometimes folks don't get a message. AND it is rude as all get up to NOT respond. It tells me the person is inexperienced and I wonder about there credibility. I had INSANE offers at Reverb, but I usually said at least, he buddy, step up to the plate. If your doing business selling an item, you respond to all inquiries, you never know who is at the other end. If the guy said, hey nice offer, I need cash, it would have been a done deal.

dan1952 and Festofish like this.
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

DOUGLAS! Thanks, did I get it right in the correction?

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Let it go.

SacDAve, Piggy Stu, brbadg and 2 others like this.
  8. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

The OP meant people are missing the opportunity to negotiate, right?

Yes, some people are not interested in negotiating when it comes to selling guitars.

How would a trade by mail work? Has anyone done them successfully?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    dan1952 likes this.
  9. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

To me the rules are different with Craigslist. In my experience I get a serious offer for every 10-15 offers I get. Add in the obligatory scammers, the crazy low-ballers, and the guy who backs out last minute, and you've got the complete CL experience.

It's a total crapshoot, and my absolute last resort these days. That being said, I understand people ignoring offers they're not interested in. Yes it's frustrating to the potential buyer, I totally get that, but the experience as a seller on CL is usually so poor that I understand it.

7171551, KT89, graybeard65 and 6 others like this.
  10. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Never let it go, lose and loose are going to shorten my life by 4.3 years, get it right!! :)

11. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Your level of anguish is not proportional to the offense. He might just not want to replace the stuff he is getting rid of with more stuff. Which is ok. I can relate. His only infraction is the mild social faux pas of not responding to a message on Craigs List. There could be any number of reasons why. Whatever the case, you are only wasting your own time and energy getting so worked up about it.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

What?! You are expecting reasonable, respectful and courteous people to answer your message? :lol::lol::lol:

7171551, nojazzhere, Torren61 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

That's funny, I use kijiji a lot and no matter whether I say "no trades" or trades only for certain items I get trade offers. With the exception of once only all the trade offers I get are for junk low value items simply not even close to being in line with my offering.

14. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You are correct in that a seller, if offered a trade rather than a buy, should respond back one way or the other. If NO, then the prospective buyer/trader can move on. Its just the polite thing to do; done deal. Personally I have never engaged in a trade as either a buyer or a seller, other than trading in a JCM900 1x12 combo and $100 for a factory refurb Fender Prosonic 2x10 combo at a Guitar Center in Dallas. If I offer something for sale, I want to sell it and I consider it rather bothersome to offer me a trade. I always give them polite feedback though: No Thanks.

I also think it is bothersome for someone to offer less for something being sold without even having looked at it, and give appropriate feedback like: I think you really should come by and check it out. Or: give me your phone number and I'll call you back in a week or two if it hasn't sold at the advertized price. That gives us both some time to think it over.

15. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Who are you to be calling someone foolish? He wants to sell. He doesn't want to deal with fools who don't understand what For Sale means. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter whether you think you've got something to offer him. You're the one trying to play a game, not him.

You called him an imbecile? Talk about a complete lack of self-awareness.

16. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I usually end up with some kid wanting to trade his paintball gun or skateboard. I always respond as you never know what someone has to offer.

teleman1, PCollen and Torren61 like this.
  17. BayouTele

BayouTele TDPRI Member

If some guy was repeatedly emailing me via craigslist asking if I “have an issue” and requesting my phone number to text a mysterious trade offer, I’d probably ignore it too.

pixeljammer, Dave W, 7171551 and 9 others like this.
  18. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Sometimes people are just busy. Too busy to respond to perceived low ballers and tire kickers.

I don't feel I have a responsibility to negotiate or respond. Write me that you want it, I'll respond to you. Anything else, probably not.

7171551, brbadg and Alter like this.
  19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

If you're talking about ads where trades or no trades has not been specified, then yes I'll often offer a trade as well.

However, it's not the seller's duty to reply to an offer they aren't interested in. If I want to offer a trade my first message will ask if they open to trades. If I don't hear back I assume they aren't interested in trades, then go about my day.

With so many products & so many different tastes the odds are pretty slim that what I could live without would happen to be exactly what they're planning to buy.

7171551 and Ron R like this.
  20. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

We have a local douche who attempts to trade a vague inventory of high quality merchandise and NEVER has cash.

Who, exactly, is playing the 'GAME'?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.