TLDR (an English teacher's rant)

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I've never used that acronym but I'd like to start using something like TUGU (Too unintelligible, gave up). I'm amazed at how many posts in general on the intermess are for me unintelligible....weird spellings, weird grammar, indecipherable ideas, no punctuation, random capital letters and other things that make me quit reading very quickly. I assume, perhaps, that a percentage of the indecipherable musings are from folks who have English as a second language but my sense is that the majority are native English speakers who just can't put together a coherent thought or are too lazy to edit. My feeling is that if you are too uninterested to get your communication across clearly then it doesn't matter that much to me to read it.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Sorry! No, I didn't mean that you did. I can see how it reads that way. I was really replying to all that I had read above and not just your post. Again, my apologies sir!

But I have a degree in history, and anti-intellectualism in Europe was a primary cause to the two world wars. It is not an American exclusivity. As an American, I am as troubled by it as you are (and I too read Richard Hofstadter -- I mean it was required). But I know enough about the rest of the world to know that it exists everywhere.

The rest of my points were on point and correct, by the way. It's hilarious to have someone both bringing up anti-intellectualism and questioning those points. Also: "American" should be capitalized, and it's "Will" Durant. I was going to let those go, but...
close reading gets extra points amigo.

I'm not excluding the 'know nothings' I'm just not including them. Ponder that.

So, I guess you are an 'all lives matter' guy? (see how that level of lack of close reading can work?)

Nice work on the spelling test... which may have been the impediment that made you miss the actual point.... or as a comedian once said, 'it is harder to get off than martha stewart on dirty sheets.'

Last edited:

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I got better grades and test scores than anyone on this forum so my statements are simply better than what the rest of you may think or post. I will include a link to my transcripts, resume, and test record for those who are too obstinate to take my word for it. I really am smart, informed, and experienced. I would add "good looking" but that quality is not relevant here.
From my superior perspective, I would add that there is nothing special about long verbal discourse as a method of conveying ideas and information. Ever since digital multimedia made it possible to convey images and sound in the same package as writing, the need to utilize something as restrictive, cumbersome, and limited as printed verbiage just disappeared. Most writing simplifies, distorts, and shapes ideas far more than it delivers clear truth, so the move to other, better, and more powerful languages and forms is a good thing. Of course written material grows shorter. Does anyone read instruction manuals anymore? I watched a guy fix a lawnmower on YouTube and it was more effective than the scene in Das Walkure where Wotan uses his powers to endlessly refill the gas tank on Brunhilde's mower so that she could cut the lawns of all Asgard.

effzee

Tele-Holic
Bulk-purchase, big bag of nuts to everyone who posts this arrogant, ignorant little snidety on anyone's post about anything.

These are the letters that will go on the flag of the Aliteracy Movement, the organization promoting the interests of people who can read and write, but who choose not to.

You want to belong to that group, fine. You choose then to stunt your own development. But why promote that stunting in others?

It's a rude, snotty comment, and it doesn't reflect well upon you, so please refrain from making it. This public service rant is brought to you on behalf of your English teacher, whoever s/he was.
That was actually shorter than I expected. I almost read it to the end. Well done!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I got better grades and test scores than anyone on this forum so my statements are simply better than what the rest of you may think or post. I will include a link to my transcripts, resume, and test record for those who are too obstinate to take my word for it. I really am smart, informed, and experienced. I would add "good looking" but that quality is not relevant here.
From my superior perspective, I would add that there is nothing special about long verbal discourse as a method of conveying ideas and information. Ever since digital multimedia made it possible to convey images and sound in the same package as writing, the need to utilize something as restrictive, cumbersome, and limited as printed verbiage just disappeared. Most writing simplifies, distorts, and shapes ideas far more than it delivers clear truth, so the move to other, better, and more powerful languages and forms is a good thing. Of course written material grows shorter. Does anyone read instruction manuals anymore? I watched a guy fix a lawnmower on YouTube and it was more effective than the scene in Das Walkure where Wotan uses his powers to endlessly refill the gas tank on Brunhilde's mower so that she could cut the lawns of all Asgard.

so, you are saying rtfm?

kuch

Tele-Holic
thanks. you saved me from myself....
I would have just said WTF,DR....

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
That falls in the same manners category as playing "grammar police", which is also poor form.
Well, maybe so, though I’m not 100% convinced. It certainly wouldn’t annoy me as much as seeing people correct grammar or spelling, or not making allowance generally for a multicultural multilingual audience such as we have here.

And in point of fact I have not used TL;DR here (or elsewhere that I can think of) as a putdown. But I do like using it in the sense I mentioned before, and will. continue to do so unless we can agree on a new abbreviation for that purpose which doesn’t carry this baggage… 🙂
I may be forgetting something, but I think the main things I grumble about here are (1) saying a guitar with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard has a “rosewood neck” (perfectly valid use of synecdoche if it wasn’t misleading) (2) posters assuming we all live in the same country (3) sunburst finishes and (4) the pain of restringing a nylon-string guitar😄.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
I only use it in my own posts to summarize for someone who doesn't want to read my wall of text. I haven't encountered it the way you're describing.

Assume Aliteracy is meant to be ironic?

Edit: No.

Same here, and in fact, generally that’s how I usually see it used - to provide a quick summary or main output of an otherwise long post.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This post is a personal affront to my beloved fraternity. It runs counter to everything we stand for--which includes the acceptance of using a preposition at the end of a phrase or sentence.

Label me triggered!

peegoos-frat-house-alka-hall.jpg

New student: Hey buddy, where's the library at?

Old student: At Haaavaard, we don't end sentences with prepositions.

New Student: Okay . . . Where's the library at, Azzhole?

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
This public service rant is brought to you on behalf of your English teacher, whoever s/he was.
Ha....I hear you PT. :)
I'm pretty critical of my own posts and strive to express myself as eloquently in the language as possible.

I've never used the term and have so far escaped it being used on any of my posts.
In fact, I've just very recently become aware of what that cute acronym meant.
I've also occasionally come across a post that I perceived to be verbose, unclear, self indulgent drivel.
Hence....why would I chime in?....I wouldn't, I'd move on.

What I don't get is why would someone use the term and still respond to a post that they didn't read completely?
I feel so naive. (of course, I'm kidding)

But....that's just me.

Thanks for the chuckle.
Have a great day everyone....

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
I kinda like long posts, better than super short posts where I have to guess at the meaning of something cryptic. (I myself was really bad with that before but think I've overcome it to a degree)
There is the "quality" issue of a long post; is it just banal (maybe a tad self-absorbed) or is it good quality info or a unique point of view? Helps me to determine if I want to read that persons posts in the future, or not.
No shortage of electrons.... ;-) post away! But yeah, I would not post that particular acronym, it's kinda rude.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
In one use, it is a snarky comment aimed at someone telling a grandpa Simpson story, sloppy formatting, or unwarranted pedantry.

In the other, it is a self deprecating softener to summarize.

I think you are looking at this a bit too much at face value.

Last edited: