TLDR (an English teacher's rant)

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
There will always be jackasses, who feel compelled to post their disdain, for topics that don't interest them. The temptation to snap back at them can be strong but I always reckon I would be demeaning myself, by doing so.

Thank goodness we don't have to suffer much of that supercilious garbage, on TDPRI......

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The temptation to snap back at them can be strong but I always reckon I would be demeaning myself, by doing so
Thass why I say it in a separate thread, with no names mentioned, actually none remembered. I just think personal neglect of literacy, and hostility toward it, is sad and destructive

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I am hugely in favour of literacy (& I personally read a great deal, of all sorts, and write too) and I generally prefer to read information than to have to watch a poorly written (or improvised…) and badly paced video. And even for a good instructional video some clear summary text to get the point over and to consult for a refresher is very valuable indeed.

However I would hesitate to judge all instances of “TL;DR” as the OP does. Yes, for sure, sometimes it is snark and it could be anti-literate / anti-intellectual / anti-expert. But just as a badly-made video has many of us groaning “just get to the point!” and pressing the skip button so too a rambling text post, especially if the use of punctuation and paragraphs (those useful aids to the reader) has gone by the wayside, can have some of us itching to respond “TL;DR”. And if we do then maybe sometimes the point will get through and some string of consciousness posters will read back what they wrote and do some editing next time… but probably not, I don’t think individual internet posts do much to change people’s ways…☹️

(And for full disclosure I am another user of the TL;DR label as, in an earlier time and more formal circumstance, we might have used ”Executive Summary”. Both in this case mean “if the whole thing is too long to read, then at least read this bit”.)

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Thass why I say it in a separate thread, with no names mentioned, actually none remembered. I just think personal neglect of literacy, and hostility toward it, is sad and destructive
I try not to take that stuff too personally. If I was as smart as I sometimes aspire to be- I'd be reading George Eliot, or Ludwig Wittgenstein, instead of agreeing with you. :rolleyes:

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
That falls in the same manners category as playing "grammar police", which is also poor form.
Guilty as charged.

I had to look up TL;DR for the second time to read this thread.

It has come to my attention that my responses have sometimes been very rude. I apologize to the members. (Voice in the back of my head) "Sometimes you need to just stifle it bro."

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Guilty as charged.

I had to look up TL;DR for the second time to read this thread.

It has come to my attention that my responses have sometimes been very rude. I apologize to the members. (Voice in the back of my head) "Sometimes you need to just stifle it bro."

There's a thread out here somewhere talking about, as we get older, we become more and more snarky and snappy? Maybe I'm guilty of that too... but didn't know it? I dunno but... Get off my lawn!!!

🤪

:lol::eek:;)

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I appreciate concise writing, and I don't enjoy having to hunt for the point through lots of excess verbiage.

That said, I really like it when I do get the point, and I don't expect everybody to be as good a writer as they are a thinker. This is a great place for expanding one's knowledge, and it would be a shame to waste that opportunity because of impatience or intellectual condescension.