1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

tired of the WRHB mim, how to get a mini in there

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jeb stuart, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jeb stuart

jeb stuart Tele-Holic

so im wondering what it would take to get rid of the mim wide range and throw a mini humbucker in there, id also like some recommendations on a good matching bridge pickup. not very hot maybe something with vintage specs and would mesh well with a mini. i play a lot of singer song writer type stuff. cover tom waits pearl jam blind mellon a bunch of acoustic. here it is stock. all rhythm

2. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Er, what guitar are we talking about here? 72 Custom, Deluxe, or Thinline? I'm going to assume you mean a 72 Custom reissue...

In any case, all you'll need is a new pickguard cut for a mini in the neck.

If we're talking tele custom, then I'd say something with broadcaster-ish specs for the bridge would probably be pretty good with a mini humbucker. Or maybe early 60's specs, like a Fender AVRI 62 RI bridge pup.

But what I'd really tell you to do is get a new wide range style humbucker for the neck, or have the existing one rebuilt. If you haven't heard how a neck position WRHB is supposed to sound, then you really haven't any idea what you are missing. There are plenty of options out there now for replacing or reworking the full size WRHB with something that sounds more or less like it's supposed to.

3. JASS

JASS TDPRI Member

+1

I have three guitars with lollar regals and they kick out some great tones.

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

A set of alnico II magnets in that MIM WRHB will make it sound very much like a mini humbucker. Bright, responsive, clear and chimey. And you wouldn't even have to change the pick guard or the pots.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You could always do a (cabronita) tv jones thing. Mini buckers are a lot more musical
    the wrhb,imho only but, your cavity being routed, probably has a lot of room for lots
    of experiments.

Bridge I would keep single coil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.