1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tire Talk - need some

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Oct 19, 2017.

1. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Currently running Coopers on all three of our vehicles. As a plus, they are (or last I checked) made in USA. :)

haggardfan1 likes this.
  2. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

I used to be in the business. Conti makes a fantastic tire. I run Conti and Nokian exclusively.

3. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

From what your describing your vehicle is used for I'd say go with the correct size and use BFG All-terrain radials. In my opinion they can't be beat. They ride good,are not noisy and if you keep them balanced,inflated properly,and rotated at regular intervals they will give a lot of mileage. They can be a bit pricey but if you take care of them they will last. One of my buddies put a set on his Toyota 4x4 pick-up and put right at 70,000 miles on them before they needed swapping out.

Stubee likes this.
  4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Last year I bought my first set of dedicated snow tires for the Subaru. Before that I ran Nokian WRs year round. We also had only 2 snowfalls deep enough that I needed those snow tires.

This year they're saying La Niña is at it and we're going to have a warmer than average winter again. Can't win...

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Firestone had a 100 year relationship with Ford and frankly had been supplying subpar tires to Ford (for pennies) for a very long time. Our 1957 Ford base Tudor had some of the most gawdawful Firestones and I remember them like it was yesterday. Firestone was struggling and got bought up by Bridgestone when many Japanese concerns were rolling in cash, but F/B gave no thought to the fact they'd be supplying an underinflated tire to an inexperienced driver of a maladapted vehicle. Heck, this is the very sort of situation where you find out who the experts are and who are piggybacking off the engineering done by other companies.

I don't think they were yuppies, those who bought Explorers and Mountaineers and Navajos and Aviators. They were families with someone in them that was allergic to the idea of a minivan, who were maybe trying to move their families into doing more outdoors, fresh air types of activities, but more than that, the drivers of these just wanted to see further ahead down lines of bumper to bumper cars that were trying without much success to commute to work or school or shopping.

Thanks for reminding us, that despite all the versatility of the Tacos (and the early 4-Runners derived from them), they're not much fun when used on the Interstate at speed. Toyota was surely thinking about the mess Ford and Firestone got into when they widened and widened again, the track and overall width of the vehicle. But I have 7 vehicles that are great on the high speed roads. What made the Tacoma sought after (ability to get into tight, narrow spots) is gone. Although, man, you should see how many are used for bear hunting and so forth up in my holler. Prices for used ones with 150,000 miles on them, still sky high in the mountains.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.