1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tire Talk - need some

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Oct 19, 2017.

1. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Conti's for summer on the 2017 4runner, just mounted the Nokian R2's for snow (265 R70 17s), I didn't like the stock Dunlops which flatted in the 1st 1K miles. I don't think you can go wrong with Michelins either, I used to run those on the Sub Outback.

2. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

Costco all-season Michelins for me too

3. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

While I agree Michelin is a great tire for tread wear, I worked on cars for a living years ago and ruined more than one Michelin patching them. We had a buffer bit you had to use on the end of a drill when you patch them from the inside. I have seen a few guys, me included, buff right through to the threads making them unrepairable. Those things were so soft on the inside you could almost dig it out with a spoon and they were not run-flat type tires.

4. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Michelin Pilot Super Sport FTW.

Oops, wrong thread...

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Pick up the phone and call Tire Rack and ask them.
    tell them what you want/need.

6. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

I put Michelin on my wifes Saturn VUE twice before we got rid of it they gripped very good in all weather here in Mich.
    I have 20 inch Goodyear eagles on my GMC Sierra,There new but have been great so far in the rain and on dry pavement,Waiting on the snow to fly.

I have used Discount tire and Walmart tire service without any service issues they both have been great to me.Both offer road hazard.

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Michelin , Goodyear , Bridgestone are all excellent . The cost versus quality brand that I have run for the last 10 years is Firestone .

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't find what Consumer Reports has to say, to be useful at all.

I've not been impressed with these Conti DWS tires. The structure (asymmetric tread design) is flaccid and takes away any handling edge you may have. Much better luck with their Generals, but.....

I don't know where (the O.P.) lives and I really don't know enough about what kind of driving conditions he therefore have. A tire that's great when the air and pavement temps are 85 F may stink when the temps are 40 F.

Suggestions that the "local guy" can match Tire Rack's prices are nonsense, IMO. I've got a super relationship with my tire guys in western North Carolina and for laughs we compared what I'd paid, shipped to the Cabin next to what he could get them for. He just smiled and told me to keep doing what I've been doing.

Btw, I'm often done with a tire once it has gone 30,000 miles. If you want to emphasize other traits (that may determine your safety) you have to look past the hunger to get a super long life tire.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Good practice on the 30,000 miles change out, I would add not more than four years to that. Generally speaking, folks have no idea how long the tires they buy new have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Three if you do a lot of high speed driving. The tread doesn't matter it's the sidewalls that come apart usually in high speed driving, and often any tread problems such as slinging off, is attributable to the sidewall anyway. Tire salesman, and telling the truth usually fall into the same category of guys claiming they have John Holmes beat in all departments.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

Yeah, it is a race against time to use up some of these tires, before they're just too old to be run fast or run while towing or with loads. I'll buy new tires of the rear of the S-2000 and keep them on there for 2 years, then I have to move the tires to some Saab wheels or they'll mostly go to waste. I will use "old" tires when driving the gravel tracks up in the mountains behind the Cabin. Having extra wheels is a must if you plan to do this. Depending on where the O.P. is, he may want to consider two sets of wheels but once again, if you have only one vehicles, are you gonna change wheels back and forth every time you need to make an Interstate road trip?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Serious answer:

Given these parameters, it sounds like you want an all-season tire - which is a middle ground design that will get you through most winter conditions in areas where it snows. It's not an ideal summer tire, nor ideal for bad winter conditions. It has good, but not excellent capabilities, in lots of conditions. The absolute best solution is to have a set of summer wheels/tires, and a set for winter (if you drive in bad conditions). All street tires are designed to work in rain - if we wanted maximum dry grip we'd all drive with no-tread tires (until it rained, then we'd either drive very slow or wreck).

Tire technology has come a long way in the last decade, and Michelin is one of the leaders. I'd second the suggestions to look at their line here:

https://www.michelinman.com/findCategory?searchMode=category&searchCategory=light-truck

Tires are ridiculously important. Those four little patches of rubber are all that connect your vehicle to the road. Your willingness to look at the high end is good IMHO.

Edit to add that Tire Rack drop ship to your installer is the way to go.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    uriah1 likes this.
  12. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Once you figure out what you want,.. I've had good luck w/ Discount Tire, they're all over the country.

Check Google/Yelp reviews for your local store.

13. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

I know they've been around for a while and look decidedly "old school pickup truck" in appearance (this is a pro for me), but the Firestone Destination A/Ts are kick-ass tires. I have a first-gen Tacoma with the Destination A/T's in 31X10.5X15. Unlike my previous set of M/Ts, they're silent on the highway and well-behaved in rain, but also more than adequate for doing some medium-duty off-roading. I also do quite a bit of camping and trekking around northern Michigan and Canada, and the Firestones do just fine on muddy logging roads. They're also priced reasonably, and based on reviews most people seem to pass the 50K mark easily with them. I also had a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on the '96 4runner that preceded my 2002 Tacoma. Those were also great tires - really well balanced between off-road capability and highway manners, and I got around 73K out of mine. If you pick up a decent set of All-Terrains that aren't too aggressive, you honestly won't be compromising much in terms of comfort and you'll have much better grip in snow as well.
    1ECC2389-834D-4A74-8ECA-86104C3707B3.JPG

tery and uriah1 like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The only possible problem with buying on CraigsList or ANY used tire place....Click and Clack (on NPR) used to warn that tires actually have an expiration point, and unless you have access to certain codes, a tire might appear to have plenty of tread, but not be safe. I don't know if this info is available online (probably is) but too many people don't know this and buy used tires that "look good". Perhaps someone here knows more about this than me. (wouldn't be hard)

And, FWIW, in my 50+ years of driving, and MANY, MANY sets of tires, I've never found expensive tires to run any longer than the lower priced ones. Most important factors are maintaining correct air pressure and rotating regularly.

uriah1 likes this.
  15. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

I just swapped off some Grabber At/2 because after 4 years they just had no traction on ice at all. New, they were real good. Put on some Cooper A/TW, a super hybrid all purpose winter-rated wonder tire. So far they are very quiet, astonishing given the tread. Haven't had them on ice yet, but my friend has them on 2 service vans and he swears by them.

uriah1 likes this.
  16. ExiledonMainSt

Not quite, but the 3rd gen 4runner and 1st gen Tacoma do share drivetrain components as well as similar enough dimensions to make comparisons relevant. My Tacoma feels like a cousin to my old 4runner, which had 293K with no major mechanical rebuilds and still ran great when I sold it.:D:D:D My Taco is at 217K and climbing, same bulletproof 3400 V6, runs like a top and has no rust because it's an AZ truck. I can't wait to roll 500K in it, haha. Love Toyota trucks!

boris bubbanov and uriah1 like this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Basically you get what you pay for. You need to decide whether performance or life is more important though. There are some great performing tires that will wear out quicker and then there are long lasting tires that don't perform as well. Main thing to remember is always check the tire pressure cold and rotate often. With that said, my best experience is to decide on one of the tires that Costco sells and then go there to save the money.

nojazzhere and ExiledonMainSt like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

Bridgestone does have a few decent tires, but they and Firestone are still owned/controlled by the same interests as they were back way back when - this is IMO not a culture where engineers get much say so about the end product, especially in the USA market.

Notice how the Fords and Mercurys (and Mazda Navajos) had the "defective" Firestones/Bridgestone tires while the equivalent Lincoln model (Aviator) had Continentals instead, and strangely the Lincolns also had a comparatively tiny number of failure/rollovers. I'm saying, Continentals happen not to be my first choice for any of the vehicles I buy for, right now, and I'm not missing the set that just got replaced, but I could see buying them. But Firestone tires? Nah, at heart it is the same company now as it was then.

19. ExiledonMainSt

My understanding was that the blowouts were at least in part due to Ford’s underrating the recommended tire pressures to make the Explorer rise less like a truck to appease the then-burgeoning yuppie SUV crowd. Underinflated tires overheat and blow, and Firestone got a bad rap because they were Factory spec on Fords at the time. ****, even my Tacoma says 26/29psi on the door placard. It feels like I’m driving a top-heavy marshmallow at that pressure.

tery likes this.
  20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

LOl

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.