1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tire Talk - need some

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Oct 19, 2017.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

There are far too many google sites, top 10 tire picks, top 10 tire rankings..!

Any good poop on these? . I know squat about them.

Have a Toyota 4runner use for camping., but, day to day city too. Snow and rain tire preferred.

Don't like those new bicycle size tires...lol

Any thoughts here. I know mfg keep buying each other out (MIchelelin, Firestone, goodyear)
    and they have High end to generic low end.

If it last a long time I would not mind high end..if worth it..?

Tks

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I don't trust any reviews that don't include road tests and comparisons, which excludes about 99.99% of what's available out there, including what you read on the tire sites.

Consumer Reports is a really good resource for this, but they can't test everything.

Snow tires have pretty soft tread, so they don't last long at normal temps. You don't want them as an every day tire, just when the weather is extreme.

Do your camping activities involve difficult off-road trails, or are we talking dirt roads? Tires that do well for off-roading need big, aggressive treads, and that means they don't do particularly well on wet roads. If your camping activities are like most folks camp, then you probably don't need a tire that specializes in mud, and a good all-weather tire will do you good.

Dismalhead likes this.
  3. uriah1

No difficult camping areas.
    So good (all weather) ? eh

4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

titan uranus and uriah1 like this.
  5. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The tire rack website is a really good place to look before you buy. You can buy there and have them shipped to your local installer. Another one is Tirebuyer.com. I bought some tires at the local gas station after checking out the pricing on these sites. The gas station was an installer for Tirebuyer. Paid about $40 more buying direct from the gas station.

I ended up buying a set of General tires. General is owned by Continental, Dunlop is another brand of theirs. General is their lowest priced line. They've been fine so far, got decent reviews.

nojazzhere and uriah1 like this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

You probably want All Season tires; not as soft, knobby, noisy, or expensive as offroad stuff, but a decently thick tread that will still last you 50K miles and will work in the rain and snow. As far as brand, I've had Yokahama, Goodyear, Dunlop, BF Goodrich, Michelin. Once you get past the intro tires that only last 30K miles, they're all pretty good nowadays.

A couple of comments: The thicker and deeper the tread the more noisy they'll be, and the softer and stickier they are you'll get less miles out of them before you have to replace them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Obsessed and uriah1 like this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

you might also check CL, you need to know the tire sizes your rims will support but you would be surprised at the number of tires for sale there. Partially used to brand new.

Picked up a set of four for my Charger with rims for $300, brand new. And not just brand new but police car type tires brand new. They have been great tires I have had for the last year and a half and barely show any tread wear. Got them from a detective who bought them at a police auction for his SUV, decided he did not like the ride (he wanted something a little more off road) and sold them.

uriah1 likes this.
  8. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mileage rating is not necessarily a good indicator of tire quality, and it's sometimes the opposite. A harder rubber compound will last longer, but won't grip as well. A softer compound will have great grip but won't last as long.

Many (most) tires have significantly different gripping power and water shedding ability as they wear. Some are great when they're new, but after 20,000 miles aren't that good at all. (Another good reason to look at test ratings from a lab like CR.)

Uriah, if you tell me your tire size I'll be happy to look up the CR tests for you.

uriah1 and bparnell57 like this.
  9. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

We used Yokohama Geolandars on our late lamented Toyota Land Cruiser. Decent tire life, worked well on road and for non-extreme off-road use.

10. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

I have a 2010 f150, basically the same uses as you.

I've gone through two sets, (55k) on each of the general grabber at2's. GREAT tires in my opinion. Never had an issue, never got stuck... Nothing. Quiet, never hydroplaned... Etc. I love em.

ExiledonMainSt and uriah1 like this.
  11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I've had many sets of Cooper tires, on several different vehicles, with nary a problem. Yokohama seems to be a good brand too IMO, I'm on my second set of those, the girlfriend has them on her car. Just bought my first set of Michelins for my truck last year, because they were on sale. So far I like them fine.

You get what you pay for, up to a point; I think some major brands can be overpriced, and no better than, say, Coopers which are usually quite reasonably priced.

ExiledonMainSt, uriah1 and troy2003 like this.
  12. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I have a 2004 Tacoma, which is nothing more than a long-wheelbase 4runner. I have the Michelin X Radial LT tires from Costco for that truck which have a 70k-mile warranty , and I've been totally satisfied with them. I failed to register the mileage on the truck when I bought them, but it had around 42k on it when I bought them. I now have about 118k on the truck, so I've gotten 76k on the tires They still have about 3/16" of tread left on them. They run quiet, grip just fine in the rain and snow, and are good for light off-road use. I'd recommend those tires in a heartbeat, and plan to buy another set when these finally wear out.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know what generation 4 Runner you have but my long lived gen 3 was happiest with ones that had good rain performance and I used it as an actual guide rig so had AT type tires. You have far more choices if you go with all season tires. Know there's also a class I think called all weather with more snow and ice performance.

Go to the Tire Rack site even if you don't buy there because you will easily find a lot of crowd-sourced data to help get characteristics you want.

Know that many car dealers resell Tire Rack. Their tire sales www site is same data. The Conti tires I got late last year were that way. It was competitive and had follow up service Tire Rack's independent installers didn't have.

There are usually some surprise value performers when you look at that crowd-sourced data. You'll often find the #2 through #4 top choices of many can cost a lot less. What I think is Conti Tru Contact was one and they're really good. An associate chose the absolute top rated Michelin and we're not sure that was 20% more tire for the 20% more money.

Don't skimp no matter what. Look at braking performance. That's often the difference between an accident or not.

ExiledonMainSt likes this.
  14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have a Tundra that seems to eat tires faster than any truck I've had, and I've had a few. The best I've found for general use are the Michelin LTX/MS2. They're a all season highway tire but with the MS classification they are not too bad in real slippery stuff if you've got 4WD. I got 58K on my last set, and as they were rated for 70K I got enough back to put a new set on for about $500 (vs. $800). A friend has got 90K+ out of his, but on an Avalanche, which is a lot lighter than my Tundra. I also had about 9K miles towing a tractor on an 18' flatbed on those Michelins, and I think that hurt mileage because I didn't inflate them up near max for those trips.

The best off road tires I've found were the BFG AT Radial KOs. I had those on my T-100, and sold them after 65K miles for $100. They still had a lot of tread but were getting noisy/hard. Those tires got me out of a couple situations where it looked pretty much hopeless, even with 4WD. I don't do that now as much so use the all-season tires.

uriah1 and haggardfan1 like this.
  15. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

And yes, Tire Rack has good reviews. I look for users with the same truck & use on that site.

ExiledonMainSt and uriah1 like this.
  16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Go with a reputable dealer close to your home .

uriah1 likes this.
  17. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I have always bought from Discount Tire and purchased road hazard warranty... 6 tires replaced under warranty one year due to road construction, saved me a ton of money. It's best to make an appointment.

18. uriah1

Yea. Tks. I think taco is same shell as 4Runner

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I drove a big truck, I ran nothing but Michelin tires on the steering axle. Didn't care what was on the rest of the truck but the steering axles tires are the one's that'll get you killed. On my own cars sitting in the garage, nothing but Michelins go on them either. I've tried other tires, usually with not all that good results. Cheap tires aren't really cheap anymore, and they sure aren't cheap if they blow out going down the road.

haggardfan1, Mike SS and uriah1 like this.
  20. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Yep, Costco all-season Michelins for me. They have enough traction to get through a Montana winter -- on a Subaru, anyway -- and they seem to last quite a while. Had the LTX a/s on my old Explorer and they were excellent. Can't remember exactly what style is on the Subaru now (Latitude?) but they seem to be holding up well. And the Costco connection seems to obliterate most of the price difference. They seem to have a deal for $200 off a set of 4 every couple of months.

TwangToInfinity likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.