Tips on "clamshell" chambered body construction?

blackbelt308

Tele-Holic
And the first one is finished! Turned out pretty good too... Compare to the boat anchor rosewood Jazzmaster in my original post! This one weighed in at exactly 8 pounds.

Walnut Jazzblaster 1 copy.jpg

The process was relatively straightforward... After re-sawing (thanks Brian!), I glued up each set of bookmatched halves, like this:

IMG_0310.jpg

Added a thin slice of curly maple to one of the sides, then used my templates to hog out the chambers:

IMG_0311.jpg

Finished with the laminate trim router:

IMG_0313.jpg

Glued the chambered & indexed (with dowel pegs) halves together, then cut and routed the body shape and cavities:

IMG_0318.jpg

Finished the walnut by sanding through 2500 followed by several applications of linseed oil and beeswax. Here's a few more pics... Once again I went with the Curtis Novak JM-WR pickups. Each pickup has its own volume control with push-pulls to split the coils. Body side output jack with recessed electrosocket, single-ply celluloid tort guard, Sounds great!

Walnut Jazzblaster 4 copy.jpg

Walnut Jazzblaster 5 copy.jpg

Walnut Jazzblaster 6 copy.jpg

Walnut Jazzblaster 8 copy.jpg

Couple more in the works! Thanks again to those of you who shared ideas and tips in response to my initial post!

Output port 9.jpg

Ciao!
Rick

blackbelt308

Tele-Holic
Second chambered Jazzmaster is finished! This one's the "negative" of the walnut Jazzblaster above... Blonde wood with a brunette sandwich layer! Chambered Monterey pine with a center layer of Ohio black walnut. The finished guitar weighed in at 6 lbs 8 ounces!

"Stratomaster" configuration with Bootstrap '54 Vintage Sparkle pickups, master volume, master tone and blend controls. Staytrem bridge and arm. Sounds amazing! :)

Stratomaster 1.jpg

Stratomaster 3.jpg

Stratomaster 5.jpg