Tips For Tele Comfort?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sunny Todd, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Going up a size in cargo shorts or elastic waistbands add to comfort.:)

jbviper4, Sunny Todd and RYAN1987M like this.
  2. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Mate... do some sport, some exercise and reinforce yourself.... Else, buy a SG

Sunny Todd and NewKid like this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like the strap button 1.5" from the neck pocket, but many guitars have it placed 3" or 4" away.

Sunny Todd likes this.
  4. briseus

briseus TDPRI Member

Honestly not sure, hard to find the spec on older models, alder body & maple neck[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. I used to have a really heavy Tele with an alder body, traded it for the 2011 anniversary with ash body. What a difference. I don't know the weight of these guitars but the ash body is noticably lighter, a joy to play.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I used to play at waist height years ago. Now I play right oiup my ribs about midway, or sitting down. Continuing frozen left shoulder and a lower spinal injury at work caused the changes. If I'm honest I mainly sit these days.

DanDII and Sunny Todd like this.
  6. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

I sold my special, purchased a couple swamp ash Tele's that weigh 6-7 lbs.

Sunny Todd likes this.
  7. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

Nice to hear from someone with the same model! Just weighed mine, right at 8 lbs. Other than adjusting to the physicality of playing, I am enamoured with it, such a fun neck, game for anything

8. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

Great advice and I’m really learning the truth of it as I get older, I’m finding with the Tele that if I consciously straighten my spine and kick my head back a little, I’m feeling less strain. Played for 5 hrs or so last night with a couple short breaks and was OK, must be adjusting!

gkterry and telemnemonics like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

A Tele will hang and play more to your right side than your other electric which will be more to the left. Strap pins vs bridge location sets up everything else.

You could experiment with duct taping the front end of the strap to the body right after it leaves the front pin (very temporarily, and weaker tape to not pull of finish if you have something with 'nitro') to make the strap at the front 'horn' lift away further back, so the guitar hangs more to your left like your other guitar. That will make how your shoulder and arms interact with the guitar a lot different. Strap on the two guitars and see how they hang and where your arms drape/grab the guitar/pick and see what you can learn from that.

Try running the strap a little more across your back instead of hanging hard on your shoulder.

Sunny Todd likes this.
  10. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

So funny you suggest Franklin, I just found an ancient one hooked to a cheap bass in storage last night. It is crazy soft and using it for the tele now

Mike Simpson likes this.
  11. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

I had not considered the left/right orientation, thanks

12. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

The 3” leather I just found is definitely a winner so far, cool ultra light project!

mijstrat72 likes this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't wear your purse at the same time, and wearing flats instead of heels will improve your posture.
    BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :p

14. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

I’m finding that height is about right as well

15. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

:lol:

16. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

I know the feeling. I used to have a really heavy Tele with an alder body, traded it for the 2011 anniversary with ash body. What a difference. I don't know the weight of these guitars but the ash body is noticably lighter, a joy to play.[/QUOTE]

I almost pulled the trigger on an american performer w/ natural finish ash body that would have saved me a pound, was a bit pricey though. I think I’ll seek ash on the next one for weight and tonal differences though.

17. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Coming from a cycling back ground, I thoroughly enjoy "weight reduction" projects of any kind

Sunny Todd likes this.
  18. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Wear it low so you don’t have scrunched up arms and shoulders. Hang it where your arms rest comfortably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a bad back...2 surgeries for herniated disks bad. The traditional padded and non-padded straps bothered my back quicker because the 2" of width dug into my shoulder. I started using 3" wide straps and it's helped. The extra width, and padding, keeps my solid and semi-hollow body guitars from bothering me as quickly as the narrower straps do. I also found this gal who does custom made, and a little pricey, straps and sells them on Reverb and Amazon.

65E19F6D-9225-4113-902D-6EE9BB9F48F9.jpeg 96FD7F1F-F1B8-48AB-B9F8-10B9E4AD27E0.jpeg

Sunny Todd likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Set up your smartphone and get some video of yourself playing.
    If you look at the neck you might be bending your head further since the guitar isn't out in front as much due to the thin body.
    Unless the edge digs into your ribs a tummy cut won't help and might make it worse since it's even further from an aocustic.
    Same with a forearm cut if your forearm doesn't hurt.
    I find the sharp edges more comfortable because the guitar is easier to keep in place.
    If the weight is the issue you would be able to identify your aging bones as the culprit.
    If you're not aged it's likely a posture issue, not a weight issue.

gkterry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.