Tips for big bubbles in pizza crust

peteb

Friend of Leo's
I just had a relevation and look forward to sharing.

How do you make big bubbles in your pizza crust?

thanks

I just had the biggest night and day experience.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
The above are good suggestions. I’d add don’t dock the dough, it’ll get really bubbly
5F37DE2F-8C20-4AFF-B760-AF25CC7DD0BD.jpeg

Midgetje94

Tele-Afflicted
Used to work for a nice wood fired pizza kitchen based out of Seattle. Biggest contribution, as people have stated. Not docking. Throwing and thrown dough isn’t hard per say. But there is a slight learning curve to get consistency.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
First, you need a dough with well developed gluten structures. I fold mine a few times every 45 minutes or so, to give it strength. The real trick then is high temperature. I usually preheat the oven to 250 Celsius/480 Fahrenheit without convention and bake on the bottom, but your oven behaviour may differ

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
Interesting thread..

Very high temp… and dough that has been proving for quite a few hours. Don't smoother areas you want to bubble with topping. My thinner, smaller pizzas bubble much more than my big ones. So the speed the outer surfaces heat seems key in my oven.

Last edited:

Tyuk

Tele-Meister
Been making homemade pizza from scratch for years now (latest non-bubble creation below).

My tip would be to let the dough sit/rise on your peel/pan for ~15 minutes after you make it into a pie shape, regardless of your technique, to let the yeast make more air bubbles you won’t pop from handling the dough. Then sauce, toppings, cheese, oven. The bubbles become huge in the baking process.

2721081C-2E38-4C18-B138-89A5924DAE47.jpeg

carpenter

Tele-Afflicted
All i have is a hot plate and gas grill. For the last 3 months waiting for propane tank. It finally arrived yesterday. Now I have to wait a week for filling it. Then back to tweaking dough. Gas grill pie. 20211029_175052.jpg

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't make pizza, I just eat it.
But I seem to remember a friend who had worked in multiple pizza places saying this was caused by the sauce not being spread evenly.

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't make pizza, I just eat it.
But I seem to remember a friend who had worked in multiple pizza places saying this was caused by the sauce not being spread evenly.

Nope.