1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

tips and tricks for being on the road

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Fink132, Mar 31, 2013.

1. arem

arem Tele-Meister

2. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Too cool. I was just reading through this to see if someone had already posted it. We use these at home.

3. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Milk of magnesia if you can't, Imodium if you can't stop.

4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thor's rules have the ring of truth.
    I toured with unglamorous, hard working, harder traveling
    bar/cover band band for just over two years.
    The experience was unforgettable, and I'm grateful for it.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You can learn do it in more ways than you might have thought possible. When I was paralyzed in the hospital, it was hello bedpan. My main problem was that I didn't if I was positioned right or not, or if I even succeeded or not. You need some outside help, I'm afraid. The very good news, is that you get used to it, along with every other yucky ewie things you sometimes find yourself doing. The body is a machine. Constipation can cause serious problems, so go when you can. Sometimes you have to start 12 hours in advance with the milk of magnesia, stool softeners (I cannot stress the importance of these), high fiber food, and coffee. If you take any opiates, take stool softeners at the same time.

Wash you face and brush your teeth frequently. This makes you feel human. Consider finding/creating a single scapegoat. Say a bar owner a couple of nights earlier was a d***. Keep the whole band interested in trashing him. That focuses your negative energy onto one person who you'll never even see again.

7. Bluegroove

Bluegroove Tele-Meister

Over/under cable wrapping is super important. Some things I've learned from touring: Take a good pillow!
    Bring a backup amp (I always take two Bandmasters, or just get an Orange Mini Terror etc.)
    Pack light gear, lifting is the easiest way to injure yourself on the road.
    or
    Use road cases with casters (nice 4" ones go over curbs better) and a ramp for your van/trailer/coach.
    I like to take a single speed bicycle to "get away" when needed.
    Water avoids cramping and passing out.
    Play the same game of load in/out Tetris every time.
    Label your stuff with where it goes on stage (left, right, front, back, center), what it is, and your band name.
    Bring a cable tester, soldering iron, etc for minor repairs to cables and equipment.
    We started using a digital board for our concerts. I can go out with a wireless pack on my guitar and set the mix with an iPad (as well as monitor mixes) That gives the sound guy a great starting point.
    Learn how the audio engineering side of things works, it saves lives! ;)
    Don't over pack gear. I only take enough guitars to cover myself if a string or two breaks. Usually three electrics and two acoustics. If I'm out longer I may take eight or ten guitars total. Only because we're making enough scratch to warrant it.

That's all for now...

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree. That kind of Good Hy-gene promotes good blood circulation too.

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^!

10. sequencepro

sequencepro Tele-Meister

1. Learn your parts
    (Learn your parts)

2. Mind your own business
    (Most guys don't get fired for what they do ONSTAGE. Leave the drama at home. i .e.The frontman's infidelity is NONE of of your business... don't get caught in the middle of something because YOU can't keep your mouth shut, and your nose out of other people's business )

3. Read your bible
    (Whether you're a saint, or an ax murderer, don't let them see anything but a positive, professional musician ready for the gig.)

4. Use your foot powder
    (Be considerate, you're living/rooming/traveling with other people whose sleeping/eating/practice habits may be much different than yours. Clean up after yourself. Be quiet when others are sleeping. And PLEASE don't make us have to have the "Mr. Stinky" conversation.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.