1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tipping The Staff

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by keithb7, Oct 15, 2020.

1. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Everybody has their hand out .
    When you book the gig ask the venue manager what the deal is ?

2. WhiskeyRebellio

WhiskeyRebellio TDPRI Member

You guys who are not tipping need to quit being cheap and start thinking of it as marketing. You want to be the first band that the talent buyer and staff think of when they decide to hire live music. Tipping the staff well is by far the easiest and best way to make that happen. This is especially true for cover bands, and venues that always have live music. Believe it or not, most bands draw the same size crowd that said venue is used to. Higher sales have more to do with date and concurrent local happenings than the actual talent of you band. Want to stand out and be called back. TIP WELL.....

mikestearns likes this.
  3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Bingo. I was booking the local hip craft beer bar in a drinking town. People were going to go to the bar whether there's a band or not. And there were far more bands trying to get in than there were slots open, especially cover bands which around here there's TONS.

4. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

everyone should work a service industry job at least once in their lives. then you will know to tip EVEN IF the service is not absolutely orgasmic and life changing. note that does not include bad or purposefully negligent service.

keep in mind most of the people waiting on you are making less than 4 dollars an hour. if you can't afford to tip, stay home. and don't leave a quarter on the bar after you purchase a pabst blue ribbon. it's insulting

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

This is what I always did. I would say, "you are going to be swamped tonight, thanks so much for taking care of us, if you need stuff announced, let me know, and, as a former waitperson, the first tip I got always foretold the night, I'm starting you off with a tip.

I generally NEVER had to buy a beer the rest of the night and everyone was super happy and on the same team. I'd note for the past 20 years, I never played for 'the money' it was just a fun thing to get and dropping 20.00 at a gig was not a strain on the budget. Everyone's situation is different. We had guys in all those bands that needed the dough... so, I took care of that part. Another member of the band and I handled all the expenses (vehicle, trailer, PA etc) thank god I did my homework as a kid!

hotpepper and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

As a musician, there are good bartenders and bad bartenders.
    I tip a good bartender, every gig, usually $5.
    As one post above said, $5 tip and you get your beer when you want it.
    A bad bartender, and it makes no difference, save your money.

7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

At the restaurant we play at, we only make $50 each (a 6 piece group), but we get free food and drink.

I usually give the staff my share of any band tips. I used to tip a lot more when I drank.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

a lot of places we played over the years, the bartender influenced the bar owner. We found the bartenders that 'just love your band' loved you because you A) packed the house B) packed the house with drinkers C) the band got along with the regulars D) the band built a relationship with the audience and said good stuff about the bar E) worked well with staff.

20.00 was a great start on a couple of those items.

9. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

You should absolutely tip for each round, just as if you were a regular patron. You think you're working hard? Imagine serving liquor to a bar full of loud, impatient, and obnoxious drunks...and getting paid well below minimum wage to do so. What you're doing is at least half for fun...none of what they're doing is for fun.

Tip big on the first round and you may find your beers will come a bit quicker and your Jack 'n Cokes will be a bit stronger for the night.

10. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good thread, great responses from
    a guy who used to wish he could gig with a band.
    And whose playing logarithmically deteriorates with each fl. oz of alcohol.

tery likes this.
  11. fishermike

fishermike Tele-Meister

I think it's worth remembering that the OP is talking Canadian dollars. Just sayin'... :lol:

12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

The OP has decided to stay clear of the posse forming here. No more comments forth coming on this topic from me.

13. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Exactly. You`re both employees and as such don`t tip each other.

14. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

My band runs on Tequila shots not beer.

15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I always tip $5 at any gig I play if they served me so much ( or little) as a glass of water
    It's just not a big deal with me- it's usually tips coming out of a Tip Jar back to the servers or bar

16. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I always try to tip the bartender at every show. Many accept it with some surprise and thankfulness, others express great thanks and say "you worked hard for that" and refuse it.

I figure either way its good business to show respect.

Here's a real no-no for me in bars ... a band tip jar. HATE IT. The way I see it the band is hired by the club and have agreed on a price. I most likely will want to play that room again. Any money going to the band Tip jar is not going to the club in food, drinks, or staff tips. I say NAY on the Band Tip Jar.

17. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have one beer at the end of the night that I get from the bar, bartender usually gets a tip of a dollar
    With that said, you are both working for the club so it seems a little weird to tip a fellow worker

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.