1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tipping The Staff

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by keithb7, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

When a band draws a big crowd the staff makes a lot more money, then the staff should tip the band.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  2. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

By definition the band is staff. It seems strange the chef would tip the server, or the janitor tip the cook, or the drummer tip the Tele player.

But then tipping for excellent service rules.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

if the band is assigned a waiter or waitress for all food and drink based on the band comp, then yes. If not and you have to order and wait like everyone else , what is the tip for ? You are not a patron you are working. Now if a staff member does indeed take care of you, then for sure, reward them. Some are smarter than others.

4. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Anytime I've had a waitress who was actually assigned for the band/music for the night, I tip well because if not, she's possibly losing money by wasting time on you. Even more for a whole band. When playing solo, I try to do $10 on a bad night, but if it's a good paying gig/full tip jar and I've had a good waitress or bartender, I don't think twice about leaving a $20. And if it becomes a regular gig, they'll usually go a little more out of their way to take care of you down the road.

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Or promote tipping your server over the PA.

Also order and promote your special exclusive drink over the PA.

hotpepper likes this.
  6. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Lol! Hey, if you're not gigging because of 2020, you have some downtime and it's an opportunity to ponder on some things you've been wondering about but didn't have time to deal with. Nothing wrong with that, I say.

Personally, I do my best to tip any employee handing me a beer. Doesn't matter who paid for the beer as far as the waitstaff goes, and the tip to the waitstaff is for the service.

I'm not thrilled about the tip jar at the counter after I wait in line to get the beer but I've been a bartender and it wasn't easy. These days I'm pretty fortunate to have a job that lets me gig for gear funds and fun, so I try to pay it forward.

Sometimes I take only $5s to the gig. Parting with a $5 tip every time I get a drink does two things: 1) gets me points with the servers in case I ever DO need something- like if I get a catch in my throat and need a glass of water immediately, or if I want a coffee and they have to brew it, and 2) keeps me from drinking more than a beer or two.

If you want to get metaphysical with it- cash is the blood of the nightlife gods. When the nightlife gods are smiling on me and sending me gigs and good times, I try not to be too stingy with my offerings in return.

SheldonP, vhilts1 and gregulator450 like this.
  7. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If the place is packed because of your band, the staff should be tipping you.

8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Thanks for typing this so I didn't have to

9. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I expect them to tip me.

10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Right.
    And the servers should do their job and serve you for free, because you are so awesome.

11. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When I was booking at a bar, it was always clear which bands were cool to the staff and which weren't. The ones that were cool got faster responses and booked more often. Don't tip? Act rude? Then you're not getting booked as much or getting a response.

this_grackle likes this.
  12. mikestearns

Also - very very rarely was a band ****ty to staff/cheap on tipping and also good. Just like very very rarely was a band really good with a good draw and also rude or crappy to staff.

MilwMark likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When we are gigging, it's worth $5-10 out of my pocket to treat people like people.

Get a couple drink chips, leave $2-5 on the bar for each drink they pour me for free, rather than pouring one for someone who is paying and tipping them.

I'll typically only have a couple drinks a night anyway.

hotpepper and this_grackle like this.
  14. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Kidding of course.

I am awesome though.

I bring water to gigs. I would tip if I was waited on.

Durtdog likes this.
  15. mikestearns

Thats the thing, you want these people to walk away from the gig with something good to say about you. Its a no-brainer. I don't want to book a band that I know the bar tenders are going to complain about.

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My basic instinct is that staff doesn't expect other staff to tip them. But I usually tip them something anyway, either by the drink or end of night.
    a) Dont know, dont play for $40
    b) Dont know, dont play for free
    c) When I get paid I likely give the bartender $5-10. I'll only drink one beer, or two at most, and they will often sit and get warm.
    :eek:

17. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

Bar staff have a lot of control over whether you get re-booked and how quickly you get served your drinks, you'd be a fool not to tip them well if you plan on frequenting that venue.

Smokin OP likes this.
  18. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I just can't imagine getting served and not tipping. I was raised better than that.

19. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Meister

1) If your not getting at least $100-$150 and free drinks per band member please quit undercutting worthy musicians with your low ball unprofessional poorly done bs.

2) Order drinks initially from a waitperson either in person or from the mic. The mic will work better later so its better to set the precedent from the beginning.

3) Decide as a band what beer everyone will be drinking as a group and stick to that. Dont go with expensive hoity toity beer. Its all the same after 2 or 3. Lol. Everyone should drink the same beer.

4) Tip at least $20 to the waitress as soon as you get the 1st round.

5) If you gotta get liquor/wine keep it straight or rocks only and order discreetly off mic from waitress. Be wary of doing this. Time and place etc etc.

6) Tip the waitress at least another $20 at the end and give the bartender at least $20 as well.

Never ever ever screw over other people who are working where you are working.

Show gratitude. Be generous. Be kind.

KS6V, Nightclub Dwight and ElJay370 like this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

There have always been and always will be bands made up of kids (and boomers!) who are willing to play for next to free or even free. And some of them are very popular and therefore desireable from the venue's point of view.

That is just the way things are, and to complain about that is an exercise in futility

That time and effort is better spent honing your band to get to the point where you are so awesome and well-attended the venue can't afford NOT to book you, because they'll lose a ton of money to the venue down the street that night who does

(I mean, back when gigs were still a thing, that is)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    AAT65 and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.