1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tipping The Staff

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by keithb7, Oct 15, 2020.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Scenario 1. You perform a gig. The Place is packed. 80 Or so people. You see some regulars showing up. You’re playing for $40 and a few beer. The place is rocking. Its hard to actually get a beer in less than 20 mins. The wait staff are busy! You’e friggen thirsty. Singing and playing your lungs out. Sweat pouting down your face all thru of the gig. You’ve had 2 maybe 3 beer all night. Gig is over. 3 sets. 3-4 hours. Do you tip the wait staff $5?

Scenario 2. You play for free. You get a free a menu item and a few beer as payment. Singing & playing your a s s off for 3-4 hours. Hard to get a beer. Staff are busy looking after paying patrons. You need a shower. Eyes stinging from sweat all night. You’re friggen thirsty. All night you had 2 beer. 10-20 mins to actually get a beer. Skipped ordering any meal. Too busy dealing with your gear between sets. Gig ends. Do you tip the wait staff $5?

It ain’t about the money. A $5 tip per band member is not an issue. You’re in the band? You’re not forking out cash to the establishment. You’re taking income away. Keep playing boys! The beer keeps flowing to the paying patrons.

2. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Tip $20

getbent likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Packed venues aint happening these days
    Thank goodness

getbent and MilwMark like this.
  4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

You're considered an independent contractor, working a job at the establishment. Tip? Probably not.

Piggy Stu and suave eddie like this.
  5. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Why would a bartender expect the band to tip? Your not a customer, you are working. FWIW, I've worked as a bartender and owned bars, though none that regularly had live music, and I would never expect a band to tip, though if you come in on a night you aren't playing, you would be wise to tip well as a professional courtesy.

Mjea80, bcorig, Piggy Stu and 5 others like this.
  6. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Tip $20 and next time you'll probably get that beer when you need it even though the waitperson is slammed. I have never regretted over-tipping in my life.

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Good point! Next time I will walk up to the bartender and give him $20 before the first set. Ask him/her, please keep me in a decent supply of beer. I work up a darn big thirst up there...

fishermike, ElJay370, getbent and 3 others like this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m confused. Did you type this up in 2019 and just remember to hit send yesterday?

Matthias, swervinbob, Pualee and 8 others like this.
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

You've got the microphone.
    Next time just order your beer in between songs with it.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another point of confusion. What are you doing with gear between sets that takes up the whole break?

teletail, Ebidis and xtelesquirex like this.
  11. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

did the wait staff put anything in the band tip jar?

green_henry, Matthias, gmann and 7 others like this.
  12. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

How about water? Have you tried that? It sounds like when you’re on stage it’s a medical emergency. Like it’s a frantic fight for life starting from the moment you start playing. I almost called 911 when I read your post :lol:

Help, I’m dying of thirst. Beer, please. 10 minutes.....20 minutes.....agh too late, sweat in my eyes, going to die! :eek::D:p

swervinbob, VWAmTele, warrent and 7 others like this.
  13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

tip with every drink, as if i were a usual patron. the venue is probably screwing them as much as the venue is screwing you.

Nightclub Dwight and mkdaws32 like this.
  14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Spurred up some comedians and confused others here it seems...Good to know you're out there reading along.

It's easy to have a 15 minute break feel like 2 mins. You might be checking your tuning on a couple of guitars and a mandolin. I can't seem to round up a guitar tech/stage hand, who'll come out and help out for no pay. Meanwhile old friends that showed up at the gig want to talk. Maybe work peers. Family you haven't seen in ages. They come up to the stage. Others are telling you to come sit down and say hi for a minute. Then you're standing around at the bar trying to get someones attention to pass you a glass of water...Let alone a beer. Break is over.

Perhaps I can pre-address some sure to come, comments....

We could take longer breaks. Ditch the extra stringed instruments that enhances our show and pleases the audience.
    Then I could relax during the set breaks.

We could stop playing out. Sit home and drink all the beer we want.

Install a tip jar like I've seen at the Rusty Spur in Old Scottsdale. Remind everyone to tip between every song...That's not common culture around here.

We could stop talking about live band scenarios here, before covid, as those times are never likely to come back.

Stop performing live with the agreement that beer will be provided. Be happy performing for no pay and accept free ice water. There are many people in this world who can't get good clean ice water. Be happy.

Give up singing. Take up bass. Nobody notices when the bass is out of tune. Friends and family of the bass player don't show up at your gigs. Lol.

Easy peasy solutions.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  15. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

That is a hypothetical. Were any such friends or family to exist, they would undoubtedly show up.

16. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I've never heard of a band tipping the wait staff or bartenders, but I personally tip just as if I was a walk-in customer. That's whether the drink is on the house or if I'm paying for it. Roughly buck a beer if I'm paying, probably $2 if it was on the house. The waiter/bartender isn't buying you that beer; the venue owner is doing that. And I tip for all the same reasons: it's just what's done, you typically end up getting better service through the night and over the course of months/years if you go to the same places over & over. I've even found this to be true at open mics that I show up to on a regular basis.

ScribbleSomething likes this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's like a beggar handing out money to passers-by, or the chauffeur tipping the millionaire.

18. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

As a band, we usually tip the staff at least $50.

They earn it. I don't expect them to work for free bringing us drinks and food.

You'd be surprised how far that good will goes.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  19. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

No matter how dramatic you make it sound, YES, you tip the staff if they wait on you. And, I'm not buying that it takes the whole break to get a drink. I've been playing for almost 50 years and that's NEVER happened to me.

KS6V, SheldonP and MilwMark like this.
  20. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

If the staff is waiting on you, you tip like everyone else. Even if drinks or food is part (or all) of your pay for the evening, you still tip the server/bartender. Their job is the same either way.

KS6V likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.