Tip for all newbies to pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bluego1, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

If you’ve been using those daisy chain thingies to plug in your pedals (like 5 pedals per string), you really need to dump them and get a power supply. This is not news to the veteran players I’m sure, but if you’re just getting into pedals, there is a marked difference in noise generated using a power supply vs the daisy chain. I just got a Donner DP2 to replace my daisies and I cannot believe the difference. Like, zero noise now. I can ditch my noisegate. If you were disappointed in the whole pedal thing because of the noise generated, don’t give up. Get a power supply. You’re welcome.

2. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

I use the daisy chains a lot of the time, never have any noise issues. But whatever works for you, go for it.

schmee, radiocaster, E5RSY and 4 others like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

What is this witchcraft of which you speak? I use individual adapters for each pedal. If I need more than 3 pedals, I unplug one and add another surge protector.

;)

4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Likewise.

Jakeboy and NothingGoatboat like this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

A One Spot and a daisy chain does just fine on one of my pedalboards. All of the pedals are low current 9V. On the other board, I have a One Spot Pro CS7. Very quiet and powers two 12V pedals along with two overdrives, a comp and a tuner. It depends on how many pedals you have and how much juice you need to power them.

But for reliable power and plenty of current, a designated power supply makes sense.

6. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I’ve got nine pedals that I was using two 5-string daisy chains for. The noise was not even bad (though my Orange drive channel had a bit of bothersome noise). When I got my new pedal board I decided to get a designated power supply to attach to the board to simplify the wiring route to the pedals. I didn’t even realize I had noise issues much until I did that. Others might not, too. That’s why I posted the thread. You surviving that storm okay?

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  7. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I upgraded from one spot daisy to CS7 and it cut what I thought was ambient hiss/noisefloor to nothing. And that was with digital delay and reverb powered separately to the daisy chain with powerbanks using 5-9v step up converters.

It made a huge difference. I'm not sure if the Donner DP2 is truly isolated or like most of the better Chinese ones just filtered. Normally you won't find a proper isolated supply for less than $80. I think Harley Benton had the cheapest one when I was looking a year or so ago.

A lot of the problems I have in my 50's home is bad wiring so I'd get a lot of noise. I ended up trying to ground the only outlet available in the study to the iron water piping though that seems to pick up 12v low current some days which makes me think something else is grounded elsewhere. No idea what. Maybe someones sprinkler system since it seems to be on the 2 days a week we are aloud to use hosepipes, sprinklers and can wash the car.

Bluego1 likes this.
  8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Definitely a good tip for those who use lots of pedals, especially certain digital effects. I've whittled my pedalboard down to 4: Mr. Black Deluxe Plus, Rogue Analog Delay, Tech21 Plexi, BBE Windowpane Fuzz. Those seem to do okay on the One-Spot with no noise, but if I add too much more I will definitely need isolation... I had to swap out my Strymon Flint because it was awful in a chain.

JustABluesGuy and Bluego1 like this.
  9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

If there's one good tip for newbies to pedals, a good power supply is the advise I wouldve given myself 10 years ago when I started doing pedal stuff.

Another thing is, close your eyes and hear the tone then get that pedal, not eyes open, and whatever is boutique, costs an arm and a leg, "its expensive, it should be good" mentality.

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Next level low noise is daisy chain connected to a battery
    [​IMG]

LeicaBoss, Nickadermis and Bluego1 like this.
  11. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Running 5 to 6 pedals with a Power-All is almost noiseless. I had trouble with a one-spot with two. (Holy Grail+Fulltone wah).
    No problem with the Strymon Flint and the Power-All. A really good power supply like the Voodoo Labs is a good investment though.

Bluego1 likes this.
  12. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

I’ve used both. The only time noise is an issue is on the rare occasion a couple pedals don’t play nice together or if a digital pedal gets starved.

Bluego1 likes this.
  13. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

buy better pedals?

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

On a side note, check your power brick for different power outputs My Pedalpower 2 has 4 100 MA outputs, 2 250 MA and a couple more that are somewhat adjustable.

I mention this because my EHX Platform sounded pretty bad on the OD side. One day just for fun I used the EHX power plug. It sounded a lot better. Then i noticed it supplied 200 MA. I had it plugged into one of the 100 MA outlets on my power brick

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Never noise and have always daisy chained pedals. Maybe it is notoriously noisy pedals to blame. Something I have always avoided.

Bluego1 likes this.
  16. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

That was my MO for years. Got up to 14 nine volt adapters plus two line six units on one damn strip. Worked great but got too much of a mess to hide behind my amp! Wife saw it and freaked out. Your gonna burn the house down!!! And all that.
    Got the Voodoo lab mondo. Dead quiet but I’ve never had noise before. Always ran all pedals on a loop through a Boss noise gate.
    Guess I can take the noise suppressor off my board now. Now I have to find another pedal for desperately need. Great. Thanks Bluego

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I remember my.. This peddle will make me sound great days. Then I discovered nothing will make me sound great so I sold all my peddles and went another direction. Still suck but those amps sure sound sweet.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

alot of the issues mentioned are attributed to the current draw in the daisy chain introduces noise into the sysytem , Roland and Zoom are nastiy for this and wont play nice on the daisy chain ,

I use one of these beasties

P1011900.JPG

I'm looking at designing a really stable 9volt regulated ,rechargable , battery pack to to use for live applications , I have a monster 9 Volt regualor that came out of a high end piece of gear that can stablize 12 volts to 9volts up to 10 outputs and with this rechargable acid battery which is 12volts i.2 amp hours should be enough to allow me to gig the few pedals i may use live .( really like clean signals)

P1012186.JPG

this should remove the daisy chain pedal buzz situation

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Bluego1 likes this.
  19. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

A One Spot dailsy worked for me for about a year until things started getting noisy. I particularly noticed it when I had 3 or 4 pedals on at the same tame. It got bad enough that I finally bit the bullet and built a One Spot Pro CS-6 into my pedal board. It was a very noticeable improvement when the Euphoria overdrive was pushed hard. Digital delay also really benefits. In general, things are cleaner and more 3 dimensional with verbs and delay. It was a hard investment to justify at the time, but definitely worth it now that I've lived with it.

Bluego1 likes this.
  20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I was very pleasantly surprised with my Donner power supply. I think it is a DP4(?? not readily avail. to verify). Very affordable & effective.

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.