Tiny Overdrive

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
More 1590LB fun, this time with a Zendrive clone. I'll be drilling holes in the bottom of this one to get at the four trimmers more easily.
ZD resistors.jpg
Everything is a tight fit, these LB builds aren't for the beginning builder, low parts counts aside. The low profile electrolytics needed a little persuasion to sit on the board, and a germanium diode is in no way going to fit, I tried ;) It seems that some Bourns 3362P type trimmers are on backorder, at least for the values I need, so I have one "R" type (reverse orientation) and a "U" (all pins in the middle of the trimmer body). I can use the U type thankfully as the PCB has included 3 across holes, albeit at one end but it should just fit.
I'm looking forward to comparing it with my Lovepedal version. These tiny pedals are cool, but if you like to adjust your controls a lot, taking the bottom off or having to have a trimmer tool in your gig bag is a bit of a hassle. If you're a set it and forget it pedal user, these might just be the thing for a true micro pedal board.

owlexifry

Tele-Meister
More 1590LB fun, this time with a Zendrive clone. I'll be drilling holes in the bottom of this one to get at the four trimmers more easily.
View attachment 984785
Everything is a tight fit, these LB builds aren't for the beginning builder, low parts counts aside. The low profile electrolytics needed a little persuasion to sit on the board, and a germanium diode is in no way going to fit, I tried ;) It seems that some Bourns 3362P type trimmers are on backorder, at least for the values I need, so I have one "R" type (reverse orientation) and a "U" (all pins in the middle of the trimmer body). I can use the U type thankfully as the PCB has included 3 across holes, albeit at one end but it should just fit.
I'm looking forward to comparing it with my Lovepedal version. These tiny pedals are cool, but if you like to adjust your controls a lot, taking the bottom off or having to have a trimmer tool in your gig bag is a bit of a hassle. If you're a set it and forget it pedal user, these might just be the thing for a true micro pedal board.
Ge diode won't fit? bummer.. there isn't any 3-dimensional space available where it could be 'hung out' off the board a little?

looks like there's no room for an IC socket either.... damn..

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I have low profile sockets coming soon, I think I might be able to sneak one in there. I’m using the original Zendrive chip, NE5532, rather than than the Analog Devices AD712 or Burr Brown OPA2604 because of cost $$ and I have a 5532 lol. I may try an LM1458 since I’ve seen that in early original ZD schematics.
When I tried putting in the GE diode (1N270 or 1N34 or OA1160) the one leg was shorting an adjacent resistor because of the way I had to bend the legs to fit the hole spacing, the DO-7 size is just a tad too long 😞 and the board was made for three BAT41s.
I will open up my original to see what is actually in there too, I can’t believe what they are selling for. Maybe if the mini sounds as good I’ll sell the original!

Last edited:

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Ready for wiring, glad I took the picture and noticed I forgot the protection diode!
ZD guts no diode.jpg

The low profile sockets didn't fit, the pins are too thick. There will be no opamp rolling through this unfortunately. A regular socket wouldn't fit under the hood, I may even need to bend the 2N7000's over when closing the back.

I am looking forward to comparing:
Zendrives.jpg

I like the Zendrive, though I prefer the Timmy a little more. I am tempted by Delyk's "Tim A" in a 1590A, I doubt that circuit would fit in an LB but I've seen Belton brick reverbs and a PT2399 delay in LB's, how I don't know!

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
well i don't even want to try to make it that small. ;-)
Thankfully the Pcb designer has a drill template that’s accurate to scale, otherwise I’d have more than a few wasted LB enclosures!
I’m looking forward to making the decal sticker for this one, so much faster than waterslides.

owlexifry

Tele-Meister
Ready for wiring, glad I took the picture and noticed I forgot the protection diode!
View attachment 985184

The low profile sockets didn't fit, the pins are too thick. There will be no opamp rolling through this unfortunately. A regular socket wouldn't fit under the hood, I may even need to bend the 2N7000's over when closing the back.

I am looking forward to comparing:
View attachment 985185

I like the Zendrive, though I prefer the Timmy a little more. I am tempted by Delyk's "Tim A" in a 1590A, I doubt that circuit would fit in an LB but I've seen Belton brick reverbs and a PT2399 delay in LB's, how I don't know!
yikes, that’s a real tight fit isn’t it.
NE5532 will be good though.

lol benton bricks in an LB, that’s madness.
there’s a digital stereo reverb i wanna do, but there’s just no way it’s gonna fit in an altoids with the belton brick…

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
That’s really funny! Genius in its own way! Set and forget With one switch. Almost like faking a channel switcher for your amp.
Thank you! I love it and think it's cool that Delyk made the boards. Those little things are a real challenge to build which made it fun in its' own way.
I've found that I like one setting for many overdrives and leave it in that 'sweet spot' all the time, so trimmers made sense. If I really want to change the settings I can (with a trimmer tool), but I have it set for what I liked best from the original full size box. Yeah, it is like having a second channel! :)