Tiny dings on the back of a neck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by David Meiland, Jan 23, 2020.

1. David Meiland

David Meiland TDPRI Member

Got a couple of small dings in the back of a CS Strat neck. I assume it's a nitro finish. The spots look more like the finish was melted off by a non-nitro-friendly stand, although they're tiny and there aren't matching marks on the other side of the neck. There does not seem to be any wood missing or any dents, just bare spots in the finish. They bug me sometimes when I play. Is this something I could rectify with some careful drops of nitro and some careful polishing? Or do I just need to have someone strip and refinish it? I've sanded a neck or two in my day and like how that feels but don't want to take this down to bare wood unless there's a good way to then put seal coats on it that will keep it balanced.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would just sand them over with micromesh. You could just buy a can of clear nitro and spray the back of the neck. For a 2 minute fix you could also just wipe them over with tru oil.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Could be drop filled with laquer or CA aka Superglue, I've done CA on dings finish cracks etc.. and then sanded and polished it , almost invisible and definitely felt better.
    Check out GluBoost , their stuff is specially formulated for musical instrument repair / refinishing.
    https://gluboost.com/

teleplayr likes this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

On a CS, I’d say get a pro to drop fill with nitro and polish out. It won’t need all stripping. Fairly simple job, but you need to know what you’re doing. Using CA on nitro would be a real second choice. The new nitro will actually melt in to the previous finish and in a lot of cases it can restore the finish to pretty much new. Clear nitrocellulose nail varnish might be a DIY route but again, it’s a CS and I’d pay the price for a seamless repair by a decent finisher, who’ll even be able to match the tint.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.