Tiny Dark Spots on Hot Rod Tele ('Thin Skin' Nitro)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RYAN1987M, Apr 22, 2019.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

^ I didn't realize we could zoom in.

You are right that it looks like it might be under the finish.

Hard to tell in pix.

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I've had 1 or 2 guitars where the rubber on the guitar stands did weird things to nitro.

I ended up wrapping the offending rubber pieces with flannel.

ONE TIME I was using a D18 on stage and the "roadie" double sided taped a contact pickup to the pick guard.

At the end of the night I went to take the pickup off and it pilled a sheet of clear nitro off the pick guard...........

It did this rather neatly, right to the edges of the pick guard and as luck would have it turned out to be a good thing because in the days when Martin would over spray their pick guards with clear and the plastic guard would move at a different speed than the guitar top the nitro would lock the two together and the pick guard would often warp the spruce top, badly.

In my case the pick guard started to move and since it wasn't held down and sealed to the top it simply popped off the top.

Thank God the roadie didn't tape the pickup to the spruce.............................

True story...............

Gary

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.