Tinnitus

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I deal with tinnitus, although not badly compared to others. It was interesting to see that one of the practices I apply was mentioned in the article. Namely, I don't go to sleep until I am so tired that I struggle to stay awake. I started doing that not because of tinnitus, but because my mind tends to race lying in bed making it tough to fall asleep.

So, I keep busy until I struggle to stay awake, then I am out in seconds after crawling into bed. I don't know if it really affects my tinnitus all that much during the day, but I do suffer worse symptoms late at night trying to fall to sleep so I do manage to greatly shorten it's effects.

What they don't realize is that I also have the cure...or at least the method to stop tinnitus when it happens. You will not find this one in any study and you technically should not even be able to do it.

When tinnitus kicks in during the day, I can chase it off completely by activating my ear drums. Yes, you read that right, I have the ability to control my ear drums. I can make the right side vibrate at will independently but I can only control the left side in conjunction with the right. I can do this for a maximum of about 2 minutes continuously, but no more for some reason.

Before you scoff at this since the muscle that controls the ear drum operates without having to actively think about moving it, I did learn this weird skill in high school study hall back in 1985. A buddy of mine used to wiggle his ears and I never could understand how he did that, so I spent a week just trying to wiggle my ears by concentrating on it mentally. I never did understand how it is done, but I did manage to tap into the muscles controlling my ear drums. I can make them vibrate rapidly to the point that I can actually over-ride all other sounds while doing it. That includes tinnitus as well and normally after a few minutes, the tinnitus is gone completely.

It always freaked out doctors when I told them about my little skill. They never believe me until I ask them to look inside my ear and tell me when to start and what song did they want me to "ear hum" to. It always leaves them surprised.

It isn't much of a super power, but how many people do you know that can control their ear drums? It really does stop tinnitus cold as well, so if you choose to practice, you might develop the same skill.

LightningPhil

Tele-Holic
The muscle that controls my left ear drum goes into spasm if ambient nose is loud. Horrid out of tune rattly distortion effect. Yay. So it can be controlled. Have a flight coming up with nothing else to do..

pdmartin

Tele-Meister
I deal with tinnitus, although not badly compared to others. It was interesting to see that one of the practices I apply was mentioned in the article. Namely, I don't go to sleep until I am so tired that I struggle to stay awake. I started doing that not because of tinnitus, but because my mind tends to race lying in bed making it tough to fall asleep.

So, I keep busy until I struggle to stay awake, then I am out in seconds after crawling into bed. I don't know if it really affects my tinnitus all that much during the day, but I do suffer worse symptoms late at night trying to fall to sleep so I do manage to greatly shorten it's effects.

What they don't realize is that I also have the cure...or at least the method to stop tinnitus when it happens. You will not find this one in any study and you technically should not even be able to do it.

When tinnitus kicks in during the day, I can chase it off completely by activating my ear drums. Yes, you read that right, I have the ability to control my ear drums. I can make the right side vibrate at will independently but I can only control the left side in conjunction with the right. I can do this for a maximum of about 2 minutes continuously, but no more for some reason.

Before you scoff at this since the muscle that controls the ear drum operates without having to actively think about moving it, I did learn this weird skill in high school study hall back in 1985. A buddy of mine used to wiggle his ears and I never could understand how he did that, so I spent a week just trying to wiggle my ears by concentrating on it mentally. I never did understand how it is done, but I did manage to tap into the muscles controlling my ear drums. I can make them vibrate rapidly to the point that I can actually over-ride all other sounds while doing it. That includes tinnitus as well and normally after a few minutes, the tinnitus is gone completely.

It always freaked out doctors when I told them about my little skill. They never believe me until I ask them to look inside my ear and tell me when to start and what song did they want me to "ear hum" to. It always leaves them surprised.

It isn't much of a super power, but how many people do you know that can control their ear drums? It really does stop tinnitus cold as well, so if you choose to practice, you might develop the same skill.
I can do that as well but it doesn’t effect my tinnitus at all. You are flexing the tensor tympani muscle. About 15% of people have that ability.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I can do that as well but it doesn’t effect my tinnitus at all. You are flexing the tensor tympani muscle. About 15% of people have that ability.
Darn, I always thought I was the lone holder of such a stupid human trick. Sorry it hasn't helped you, seems to for me.

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted

The question is, will you use your power for good or for evil?

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Very interesting. Thanks.
I suffer from really bad tinnitus. (Damn you Motorhead!)
Over 40 years of loud concerts & playing in bands.
It seems worse at night. Stops me from sleeping.

I have found that if I push the flap of skin in front of each earhole (the Tragus - had to google that) over my ears, my ears 'pop' & the tinnitus is reduced.

My late Mother had tinnitus, then went deaf (as did her Mother) then developed MES (Musical Ear Syndrome).
She could hear classical & choral music. At first she blamed my Dad for playing loud music.
But he was too busy listening to Glenn Miller & Motorhead.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I suffer from really bad tinnitus. (Damn you Motorhead!)
Over 40 years of loud concerts & playing in bands.
Motorhead did for me too. Iron Fist tour. Leeds Queen's Hall. I stuck my head in the bass bin. Not one of my brighter decisions.
It seems worse at night. Stops me from sleeping.
Radio 3, Classic FM ( but their 'shouty' ads may drive you batty ) or any music station you like, or a home playlist through a moderately good quality speaker works for me.
Talk radio doesn't, as I then focus on the speech, which wakes me. When it gets really bad, it's headphones time and out comes the Beethoven symphonies or Bach's Brandenburgs. I'm normally pushing zeds by the third in either case :)

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Motorhead did for me too. Iron Fist tour. Leeds Queen's Hall. I stuck my head in the bass bin. Not one of my brighter decisions.

Radio 3, Classic FM ( but their 'shouty' ads may drive you batty ) or any music station you like, or a home playlist through a moderately good quality speaker works for me.
Talk radio doesn't, as I then focus on the speech, which wakes me. When it gets really bad, it's headphones time and out comes the Beethoven symphonies or Bach's Brandenburgs. I'm normally pushing zeds by the third in either case :)
Yeah, Motorhead, Newcastle Mayfair. The PA was up to the ceiling! Deaf for 3 days.
The only radio station I listen to is Classic FM. And yes, the shouty ads drive me batty.
I'll put some classical stuff on my MP3 player & try that. Thanks.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I can wiggle my ears...together and separately 😂🤣. I am going to work on this tensor tympani muscle flex...as a sufferer of tinnitus for >40yrs (that I can remember).

Sleep-wise, I've been a light sleeper for years and felt blessed (in my career field) to be able to go from asleep to upright and moving with full function in less than a second. I also can "set" my internal alarm clock for a nap or even the next morning, and usually wake up within 10 minutes of the mark. It took me some time to move to it, but a big change (restful-wise) for me came during pandemonium when I decided to bump my minimum night-time sleep from five to seven hours, and limit siestas to <30 minutes. I cannot say it helped my tinnitus, but the bags under my eyes are not as prominent :cool:.

HappyMangle

TDPRI Member
For those who suffer from tinnitus, this might be interesting.

That's useful. Thanks for sharing.
I have something weird going on with my hearing since three weeks now after the last flight and finally realized i can't stand it anymore. I have an appointment with the ear doctor staten island in few days and honestly can't wait for that. I don't know how people can live with the tinnitus for a few years, it is such an annoying thing.

Last edited:

Buzzgrowl

Tele-Holic

I can do this too. Left or left+right. Sounds like a low frequency windstorm. It helps a little. When I sleep poorly, it gets worse. I also try not to sleep unlwess I am really sleepy.

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
I don't have tinnitus, but I do have a Burger King jingle that appears out of nowhere when I try to sleep. I think it might be a curse I picked up somewhere.