1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Timmy v. Lightspeed (Or: Two Pedals from the same “Family”?)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jackson Moses, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Jackson Moses

Jackson Moses TDPRI Member

I’m sure people have already discussed/compared the Paul Cochrane Timmy and Greer Lightspeed, but that’s not the point if this thread (at least not primarily).

I got a V2 Timmy and LOVED it immediately. A few weeks later, I bought the Lightspeed. I knew from researching online that it was a circuit derived from the Timmy, and my experience with it is consistent with that observation. But I love it too, and it’s definitely different; it’s a bit more compressed, the drive sounds different... it’s also a little brighter to me and more “hi-fi” sounding.

This got me thinking: would it be weird to keep both on my board? I feel like they do similar jobs, but they definitely do the job in a different way. And it made me think of the broader question: is it unusual to keep two pedals from the same “overdrive family” on your board?

For instance, having two TS variants, or two different Klones. Does anyone do this? Just thought it would be interesting to hear from folks about

2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've had both. I found the Timmy more similar to my gain changer than my lightspeed. The lightspeed has more clarity, and sounds more amp like to me than the other two.

I prefer my GC over the Timmy, so I sold the Timmy. Nice pedal indeed, but one had to go. Also, I believe what I read about the Timmy not being a great match for a fender black face amp, which is what I use, sorta. It lacked character to me. Maybe just a little too "transparent." That can be very useful though, if not kinda boring. YMMV.

3. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I also prefer the Gain Changer over the Tim/Timmy...

4. Jackson Moses

Jackson Moses TDPRI Member

Maybe I’ll check it out. I’ve never played the GC; it’s been on my radar for a while though.

Yeah, the Lightspeed has more character than the Timmy to my ears. That’s what I like the Timmy for though, it’s the only drive I’ve tried that sounds ACTUALLY transparent, not just the buzzword version :D The Greer is more interesting, and like I said I hear a bit of “hi-if” crystally-ness in the top end that I like.

And just to be clear, I’m definitely NOT suggesting they’re super similar in terms of actual sound in practice, just that they’re kind of in the same drive family in theory. I’m no circuit expert so anyone with more knowledge can feel free to correct me, but I’ve read that it’s a matter of public record at this point that the Greer was “based on” the Timmy circuit (though obviously with a fair amount of tweaking and alterations to make it into its own thing).

I want to use both, but suddenly felt odd about it. Like it might be weird if I had a King of Tone and a JHS Morning Glory on the same board (since they’re both Bluesbreaker-derivatives). Then again, maybe that’s kind of stupid since they both have their own “thing” and the KoT in particular sounds pretty different than most BB types. I guess it boils down to whether the space would be better used for the pedal in question, or something else (like always :confused:)

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I have had two Tube Screamer variants on my board at the same time, with different settings...I no longer do this, but it was a useful setup at the time, since both the amps I use didn’t have switchable gain stages.

I am seriously considering adding a second MXR Micro Amp to my board, since I would like to have one “always on” and the second for boosting solos, etc.

There’s nothing wrong with two similar/same pedals on your board.

6. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I’ve owned both (still have a Timmy) and I think they’re quite different. Isn’t the Lightspeed a Bluesbreaker derivative? Anyhow, both great for different reasons. I can see having having both on the same board.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Tried the Timmy but liked the Gain Changer a lot more.
    But no, not weird to keep two if you set them differently. I have 2 OD's and the GC on my board and each (although different) is set for widely different sound:
    GC=Clean boost
    TS9DX= overdrive with big bottom set to just a bit of grit, not much.
    Zenkuda= Marshall/ Dumble OD , lots of gain.

With my switcher I can turn on one and one off with a single push.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Had both the Lightspeed and the Timmy at the same time. Sold the Lightspeed. It was solid, but the Timmy’s EQ tweaks are invaluable for my different guitars, amps, and pedals.

Biggest plus of the Timmy imo is that it makes other pedals better.

D_Malone likes this.
  9. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I found the Timmy almost impossible to dial in with my Black/Silver Face Fender amps. It was painfully bright and thin.

I love the Lightspeed and the Gain Changer SR. Great pedals. Easy to dial in and warm and musical.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Love my Greer.
    I had a Tim. It did not cut it for me.

Murphcaster likes this.
  11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I currently have 3 boost pedals, they are all in the same ballpark I guess.

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I have a Greer Lightspeed sitting right next to the Tim. For clean boost, very few pedals are as good as the Tim, IMO. I've tried many. Whereas the Lightspeed is so useful for an extra dash of not too fat edge and gain on the top of clean boost, as needed. These pedals do not sound the same to me at all. Then again, the Tim is much easier to dial in than the Timmy. (Different taper on the gain knob.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.