Timmy, Gain Changer or other?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dombar335, Sep 2, 2019.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

went outside the norm very happy..into Super's & Reverb pro

clon klone Cl..whatever it is..best pedal ever experienced for just moving an amp for slight gain or color..i mean subtle precise .. can pin point break & the headroom it adds to big clean is amazing

Mad Professor Simple-D style pedal..total shift in mid point..its cool

RAH-Hiwatt style clone..it does that clarity thing..tight leads right on the edge of

these pedals were got to enhance my amp not change..get main tone from amp & like to color or move break point & ride that edge...

2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I just bought an ehx hot wax. Worth a shot. I love mine so far. Price is right, includes the crayon, which is a timmy type pedal. Stacks really well.. with itself!

3. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Lovepedal OD11 is another one to toss into the race here. Search "lovepedal +shopify", and you'll get Sean Michael's shopify site where he occasionally has flash sales, usually lasting 1-3 days. OD11s can usually be had for between $50 and $80, and for not much more is the Amp11, which is the OD11 plus a nice independent boost channel.

I love the two pedals you are deciding between, but this is a less expensive option that meets the same tonal criteria. I'm not affiliated, just a happy player.

4. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

Very few medium gain pedals go with my syrup toned Tone King Meteor.
    Barber Gain Changer is my goto. Zendrive is also clear but changes the amp tone. 90% of all OD pedals don't work with my Fender thick richness cranked.

Bonus setup: Good experience with dual, light OD's... cascading an EXOTICS AC Booster pedal with a Barber silver Lmt.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Thinking of adding something Bluesbreaker based to my search. I was watching a video of a guy building a worship board on a budget and he was getting some nice sounds from Mooer Blues Crab. Just not a fan of the knobs on mini pedals though.

6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

You need either a Nobels ODR-1 or a Boss OD-3.

Or a Timmy.

7. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

I play through a '65 DRRI, but I'd like to suggest a Crowther Hotcake. I gather they sound even better through a Vox. Something to do with a particular slice of mids present or absent in a Vox.

High Head Brad and richiek65 like this.
  8. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

Both are good. Barber has more gain available, and Timmy (the older one) gives you more sweep within the low-gain range, in my experience. For your purposes, I'd recommend the Timmy.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I play thru a Vox AC15
    Gain Changer is fantastic on the low gain setting, good but not great on high gain
    Blues Crab very bright, even with tone control at minimum, but otherwise I like it
    Pure Sky (Timmy Clone) glorious but mine is a bit noisy, otherwise would maybe be my number one
    MI Audio Blues Pro probably my favourite medium gain so far, but it's a bit "pedally", not very amp like
    Oddfellows Caveman (a loaner) is very versatile, could be a winner
    Yesterday, I ordered an ODR1, really keen to see how that goes.

10. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Maybe I should spend a little more time playing around with the Pure Sky. The dual EQ knobs always kind of intimidate me and they're so responsive it's easy to go from a good tone to a bad tone.

11. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Put in a little overtime last week so I grabbed a Snouse Blackbox 2 off of Reverb today. Not sure if it's replacing my Pure Sky for low gain or OCD for medium gain yet.

PastorJay and kevsonic like this.
  12. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I've had an ODR-1 for 24 hours and have no idea why this pedal isn't mentioned more. Everything I was hoping for and more

13. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

Another endorsement for the Timmy. I play similar music to the OP. The Timmy is the only boutique pedal on my board (the rest are Boss, TC Electronic, and MXR) and it is worth it. I use it on every song. Especially in your case when you are running a Tele into a Vox. That can get a lot of treble. Having the ability to dial is back some on the Timmy makes a great overdrive tone. I've had mine since 2012 and its not going anywhere.

14. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Yeah. I think I'm going to find a way to squeeze my black box in on my board instead of replacing. Even if I just use my current Timmy clone for its eq.

15. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Got my Blackbox today and got to play around with it for about a half hour. I'm loving it so far. Definitely much clearer and not as harsh ad the OCD for medium to heavy gain. Getting some great P&W tones out of it. So far the best use I found is setting it for a light to medium OD as my always on pedal and then boosting it with the Pure Sky for the heavier tones that I was using the OCD for. I though the BB was going to be overwhelming with all of the knobs but it was hard to find a bad tone with it. I've read Bluesbraker type pedals can be bright but I'm surprised how much I can tame the top end even with the dip switch set to bright.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

how close do they sound?

17. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Mine sounds pretty good. It seems to have a bit more gain than my Timmy and it's a bit noisier. If you find one cheap like I did, it's a good way to see if the Timmy sound is for you.

18. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

You can also grab a Caline Pure Sky for $25ish from Amazon. I haven't directly compared obviously but I like mine and reviews indicate it's very close. It's in a metal case, true bypass and it has the separate bass and treble knobs (although they're not cut knobs like a Timmy).

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i actually have the danelectro - i kinda hate how the knobs are positioned/stacked on it and i was wondering if getting an actual timmy was worthwhile.

20. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

I would strongly suggest checking out the Crowther Hot Cake. Not just because you use a Vox amp, which they are so often associated with, but because it’s a damn good overdrive that seems to excel in that low to medium gain IMO.

Mark and RetroTeleRod like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.