Timmy, Gain Changer or other?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dombar335, Sep 2, 2019.

1. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

I'm looking for a low to medium gain OD pedal. I was originally set on waiting for the new Timmy but I've seen a lot about the Gain Changer recently and it looks interesting. My main use is for P&W type stuff but at home I play a lot of U2, R.E.M. and Oasis type stuff.

I mostly play a Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster into a Vox AC10. But I also have an Epiphone Es-335 that I play every now and then too.

My current OD pedals are a Fulltone OCD, Caline Pure Sky (which is the one that I'm looking to upgrade), and a Rat.

Would also look at other suggestions for what I'm trying to accomplish but would like to stay in teh $100 to $150 range which could also include used.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really like my Gain Changer, it's fairly "neutral" and works well with every amp I've put it in front of-it sounds like that particular amp except with a bit "more" to it. It can do higher gain fairly well, but its strength is in adding just a bit of hair up to a medium crunch. No personal experience with a Timmy, but they're extremely popular so probably a good one as well.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

I’ve built clones of both. Gain changer is cool but I keep coming back to the Timmy. There are loads of inexpensive Timmy clones out there, look for “transparent overdrive” with bass and treble controls. If you like it, spring for the real deal and get on the list.

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I have both pedals. The Gain Changer works better with my Hot Rod Deluxe, but the Timmy loves my AC15.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  6. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Read up on the Vox AC10. While it is a great little amp, it can be a little "selective" about which pedals work well with it. Many folks, myself included, found that the Timmy is a great drive pedal match for the AC10.

- Bob

Marc Morfei and RetroTeleRod like this.
  7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I cant speak to gain changer, but timmy clones I've messed with were nice. An actual Timmy may be a good investment; Paul C seems to be on top of things with customer service. Like, REALLY stands by his product.

The good (great?) News is low to medium gain ODs are quite rig dependent, and AC10s are common enough to get a reasonable taste of whatever you try in stores. That doesn't help with used boutique stuff, but other things can be test drove.

REM and Noel Gallager both use Big Trees. Not in your price range, but they use it and a Vox. Noel also uses a Zvex super duper boost in high flying birds.

Back to the Big Tree, its actually running on an el84, ecc82, and ecc83. It's not "copyable" like other pedals, probably because of this. One mode goes through a specific buffer, the other through the tubes. They make a small trees (had to check reverb for price) butbthats also expensive. There may be tube powered pedals that get similar sounds for not a ton.

I feel like one of the Gallagher's ran an OCD, but that's more gain than you're probably after. Klones are fun, maybe try some of those? I'm enjoying the EHX soul food, and youd probably have extra money for another pedal with a used soul food.

8. RetroTeleRod

If you can find one, the version 1 of the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive is a Timmy Clone. I bought one to try and later upgraded to a Timmy. In the photo it's the one on the left...
    coolcatTO1and2.jpg

Alter likes this.
  9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know anything about the “new” Timmy, but the “old” Timmy is great. It can do almost anything. I got mine used on Reverb for about $100. If you’re on a tight budget, the well-known Boss Blues Driver is very very good, and you can find them used any day of the week for around $50. The Gain Changer is also great, though I found this pedal sounds better with my Fender amps than with the Vox.

Honest Charley and RetroTeleRod like this.
  10. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Thanks all. My Pure Sky is basically a Timmy clone but with the new one coming out I thought I'd spring for the real thing.

I shoukd mention. I use it as a stand alone drive and use it with my Amp on the edge of breakup.

11. RetroTeleRod

^^^ Exactly! :)

12. RetroTeleRod

If anyone's interested, here are the differences between the old Timmy and the new version according to Humbucker Music...

The Paul Cochrane Timmy 15th Anniversary Pedal brings about a few changes to the venerable Timmy. But don't worry! At its heart it is essentially the same pedal, but with some considerable tweaks.

1) The external switch is now a gain boost, offering far more gain range than any previous version of Paul's pedals.

2) The amount of overdrive from the Gain pot has actually been reduced so that it works much better with BOTH positions of the Gain Boost switch. It's now easier to dial in precisely where you want the breakup level to be.

3) Non-reversed Bass & Treble pots. The non-reversed pots addresses those that wished for a more intuitive and conventional knob function. No more turning the bass and treble knobs up to reduce the frequencies.

4) The 1458 opamp is back! How is it different than the standard 4559? Paul feels it's a tiny (and he does mean TINY) bit less harsh on the top end and a bit less saturated. Still, you have to "squint your ears" to hear it, as Paul says.

5) The symmetrical/asymmetrical clipping switch has been moved to an internal dip switch, which is the previous top and middle position of the switch.

Link here...https://www.humbuckermusic.com/products/paul-cochrane-timmy-15th-anniversary-overdrive-pedal

Daytona.57 likes this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Well if this means soon more “old” style Timmy pedals will be popping up used, then everyone wins.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  14. RetroTeleRod

I just did a search on used Timmy's. Ouch! Many of them are going for more that what I paid for mine new! BTW, here's a shot of the Aqua board I used to run with my AC15. My Vox is sidelined at the moment with a bad volume pot. :(
    Aqua Board.jpg

ndcaster likes this.
  15. RetroTeleRod

Timmy is currently on my travel board. It works great with my Blues Junior!
    Summer2019TB.jpg

16. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

I may be the only one, but I’ve tried the Timmy 3 times with different arrangements and could never bond with it. That said, people rave about it.

I also had a GainChanger which I loved. Very versatile. I’m now using a Greer Lightspeed which will be staying on my board for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

You've already got a Rat.

It seems like a Timmy is considered the holy grail of pedals for people who play P & W, especially through a Vox or Vox style amp.

You might also try a Klon clone. I have the MXR Sugar Drive. It's great for adding significant dirt or as an almost clean boost.

The Timmy and the Klon clones seem to be go-to pedals for people worship players through a clean amp, wanting to get dirt from their pedals.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Just curious. What amps have you tried with both?

20. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

A Deluxe Reverb and a Vintage Sound 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.