Timing and Tremolo

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ArcticWhite, Feb 26, 2020.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I've always loved the sound of amplifier tremolo, but I've never used it much in my own playing.

Anyone have any good methods or videos explaining various ways how to sync it to your desired tempo and time signature?

What I mean is, do you typically set it to 8ths?16ths? When it's slow, its easy to get locked in with 8th notes, but when I turn the speed up, and the intensity down, I'm not sure...

Tips?

2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

To me it’s not that critical to synchronize anything.
    I have a big old fender with trem, but I bought a Diamond trem with tap. I just keep it in the neighborhood.

boneyguy and AxemanVR like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Practice, practice, practice,
    Tweak, tweak, tweak.

that’s how learned to lock in with tremolo, vibrato, slow phase shifting and Leslie effects.

Practice your technique and tweak your effects...then practice some more.

4. Ditchgator

Ditchgator TDPRI Member

A car commercial on tv was playing "50 Foot Woman".
    Liked that tune, so got the drum beat and just doubled it. Viola.
    Don't use trem/vibrato much, but this tune wouldn't be the same without it;):cool:

5. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I believe that on his Homespun Tapes Rock and Roll Rhythm Guitar videos Amos Garrett talks about syncing the speed of the amp tremolo with the tempo that you're playing on guitar. Might want to search for a YouTube video.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    The only thing I can think of is this:

If you plan to record or perform with tremolo where the tempo HAS to match, then starting off with the tremolo and forcing everything to sync with it seems to be the best bet - using the tremolo as a form of "click track" so to speak.

I actually did this on one recording where I used a harder "square wave" tremolo (made by Vox back in the 70s called a "Repeat Percussion") on the first track and then matching everything (including the drums) to it. But I played the drums "manually", as opposed to a "drum machine", so I didn't have to worry about syncing things up in that way.

Of course if you're trying to sync everything up "precisely", then only a computer based sequencer can provide something like that. Unfortunately I have no experience in using anything like that, thus no advice in that area. Sorry...

`

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    ArcticWhite likes this.
  7. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm in total agreement with this. The use of tremolo doesn't need to be mathematical in it's precision. In fact I like the sound when the tremolo fights a bit against the tempo....it's a nice feeling. Tremolo is probably my favourite effect!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

The Throb!!!

boneyguy likes this.
  9. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I think Brian jones had this tremolo thing sorted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.