Times Are Tough All Over ... Sweetwater Candy Content

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I'll be happy with two pieces of candy. Nobody else gives me candy. Gibson doesn't give you candy, and they charge a lot for their stuff, you'd think they could throw in some candy for the amount of money you pay. I bought a $15.00 toy amp from SW and they followed up with emails, phone calls, AND CANDY?????????!!!!!!! I know when somebody's trying to get my business.

You'd had me at "Hello...........................I'm your service rep....."

2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

It's the difference between a fresh made 100% beef burger and McDonald's. Or store bought sliced white bread in a plastic bag and a fresh baked loaf by a local baker.
    But if you can't tell the difference, more power to ya.
    I'm only a semi beer snob, and I'm certainly not a preacher.

Steerforth and Bassman8 like this.
  3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

For the past 20 years I've received exactly one phone call per year from the same sales rep.

kookaburra likes this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Yeah, there are worse things. My sales rep calls after every order, I never answer, he leaves a voicemail, and it's done. I think I got one "check in" call after not ordering anything for at least about a year, and even then, no follow up after leaving one voicemail. Much rather that than just being a number that I have to provide when an order doesn't go smoothly.

Switchy likes this.
  5. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

An' don' fergit...pee it out.
    On this part I can't really tell the difference with the cheap stuff or the expensive craft brewed beer.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Steerforth likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I just ordered ( my 3rd Seeetwater order ever) so I'm looking forward to Bit-O-Honey, Atomic Fireball, and Smarties ( stuff I got before).
    It's 1967 all over again! ( nuns in my Catholic grade school actually sold us this stuff, before classes!)

Am holding out for Mary Janes!

artdecade and Bassman8 like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Someone here must be a SW spy and noticed that @FenderGyrl has been on a guitar buying spree though Amazon. It was a subtle message. Sort of like the horse head in "Animal House".:twisted:

My wife cried when they changed here sales rep lately. Good thing I am not the suspicious type.:rolleyes:

RetroTeleRod and FenderGyrl like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Cool, more craft beer for me!

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've talked to my SW 'sales engineer' once, nice guy, no push. I may wanna get a break, if I can, later, on an Epi SG, so figured we'd chat a minute.

I know I will get a call after every order, no big deal. I see ' Ft.Wayne, Indiana' on phone, and just let it go to voice mail.

10. boop

boop Tele-Meister

At least you didn't get Smarties

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Those are sufficient to pull the fillings out of your teeth. More than two is just a waste.

12. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Obsessed likes this.
  13. fishermike

fishermike TDPRI Member

My sales engineer and I shoot the breeze for a bit whenever I place an order, or a return. Welll, my wife bought me an Apogee Jam for Christmas a few years ago, and it came with no candy. So, I called my engineer and gave him a raft of crap about it, told him it was the only reason I told her to buy it from him instead of Amazon. Just good-natured abuse.

Two days later, this shows up:

E76E197C-1930-45DF-8880-45029C2F5101.jpeg
    Of course, it was packed full of candy! Guess it’s getting to be time to place another order...

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

That is customer service right there.

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

send it back with a note.. not enough candy,,,,:lol:

FenderGyrl and Blue Bill like this.
  16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Theyu throw in the candy to create the illusion of thoughtfu generosity as they engineer how you feel about "Sweetwater." All the examples given above are readily recognized as simple and cheap business practices -- absolutely none of them are impressive in any way, shape, or form. It's very stange and sad when such simple sales behaviors are seen as special treatment. I work in a field where we deal directly with innumerable clients, and the stuff mentioned her amounts to nothing when seen alongside of the steps my colleagues take to help clients. Honestly, I'm glad if people like this kind of experience. Personally, I do not like the very nature of the mass online guitar retailer enterprise. I think it pretty much sucks. There's a reason why too many slipshod, blemished guitars get built and delivered to buyers. That would never happen in a face to face transaction.

17. fishermike

fishermike TDPRI Member

So what? It’s a gimmick. I’m pretty sure nobody here is fooled by it. When it comes to basic retail transactions, expectations are pretty low these days. If everybody is selling the same thing at the same price, a handful of candy and the personal touch of direct human contact can be enough to differentiate you from the masses.

Living in SB as you and I both do, which shop in town is even worth visiting anymore? I try to spend money at them, but neither stocks the things I want, let alone at a reasonable price. Sweetwater does, and at least they’re not Amazon, for goodness’ sake.

I’m curious as to what business you’re in. I’d guess one of the high-end hotels, from your post, but it could be any number of things, I guess. Regardless, it’s probably a business where the service is a large part of what the customer expects or demands, and I’d bet they’re paying a good price for it, too.

Bassman8 and kuvash like this.
  18. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

...only in the peein' part not in the drinkin' part

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The last free sweetwater candy I got resembled a pre licked raspberry lolly pop. It was kind of wet and very sticky. I think I just got two of those with the pedal I bought. I was ok with it until seeing that yours is in a heat sealed bag. I don't remember mine arriving in a sealed bag.:eek:

The customs guy possibly licked it when testing to see if it gave a buzz.:(

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    FenderGyrl likes this.
  20. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thoughts and prayers.

fishermike and WetBandit like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.