1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Timer audio bleed from LED

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by jddub440, Apr 18, 2020.

1. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Hello fellow forum members,
    I'm having an issue with some color changing LEDs I've been trying to put as a status indicator in some builds.

I bought 10 slow color changing and 10 fast coloring changing LEDs....they have a built in timer in the LED that I believe is unadjustable.

My overall issue is that I can hear timer speed when I activate the effect that I installed the LED into and it is as loud as the guitar, it does a sort of glissando, squeeker fart sound between color changes and sounds kinda cool but bottomline a problem for me.

Does anybody know of a circuit or some other way I can isolate that LED color change sound from my guitars audio signal??

2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I would think you would need a transformer to isolate it but I’m usually wrong. lol
    I tried one of those flickering leds before and he same issue.

3. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

Start with moving all related leads and components away from audio, especially the inputs. If that doesn't suffice, power the LEDs from a source with good bypass caps. You may even need to use a smaller disc cap in addition to the large electrolytics to keep the ESR down at your specific frequency.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.