1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Time Well Wasted

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tucker gypsy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. tucker gypsy

tucker gypsy Tele-Meister

Hat's off to BP for a smokin' new record! Got it this morning & there's a lot of great Tele playin' to soak in........much more, it seems, that BP's previous records. I'm sure I won't be listening to anything else for quite a while.

Tucker

2. geddins

geddins Friend of Leo's

I picked it up as well....I think I agree with you about the pickin....I'm droolin over several tracks right now....and as far as the songs, I really really like the cut with Dolly...

3. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Man this cd is amazing !!!

"I'll Take You Back" is a pure joy...totally rippin' guitar (and the lyrics are pretty funny too), those chops...BP you are DA MAN !!! And Randal and Justin get to show off too.

"When I Get to Where I'm Going"...is my favorite song, brought me to tears and goose bumps when Dolly sings those harmonies. (just like "Whiskey Lullaby" from MOTT).

I'm just on my 3rd listen this morning, hearing new things on each tune.

BP - Thanks pal, this was worth the wait !

Zac - any chance of getting an idea of the teles used on each track ?

Twang On,

John

4. gls500

gls500 Tele-Holic

Re: Man this cd is amazing !!!

And amps! I'd like to know which are the Mini-z, but I think I can tell on a few. Sounds awesome. Once mixed in, that can be such a big-sounding amp.

5. pepeteus

pepeteus TDPRI Member

To me it was a little dissapointment after the Mud on the tires. Time Well Wasted is a good cd but somehow I like the songs better in the Mud. Of course the songs start to sound better the more you listen to them. But some of them are a little boring to me.

Of course there's monster playing and tones all over the album! Am I wrong if I say that there's some Les Paul in at least one the songs?? Can't remember the name of the song right now.

Didn't mean to sound that it's a bad record. Not at all.

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

I can hear a strat

There's definitely a strat on "She's Everything"...and lotsa Crook Baritone too...I'll lesson for the LP tones. He's got a great jazz tone going on "Time Warp" !

Ok, on a forth listen to "Time Warp" I believe that's a LP on a solo at about 2:05 into the song...if not, that's the FATTEST TELE I've ever heard. ;) ...then again with the Adder and Dr. Z ES Rx amp ?!?!

J

J

7. DAK

DAK Tele-Holic

Went for the Target exclusive...

Saw their ad offering an exclusive free bonus disc with four additional songs by BP. Went in and bought it last night.

Upon first listen, I'll agree w/pepeteus that "Mud" is a better album. Nevertheless, IMHO, "Time" is a good follow-up and offers more of what we've come to expect from Mr. Paisley - clever lyrics, memorable melodies and absolutely awesome licks.

8. gls500

gls500 Tele-Holic

Re: I can hear a strat

...cue the Hamel guys claiming it MUST have been the guitar with the Hamel pickups. :lol:

9. pepeteus

pepeteus TDPRI Member

Re: I can hear a strat

Yep, it was that Time Warp solo. Very fat tone! Then what about the solo on "Easy Money" at about 2:10. Sounds a bit LPish too? I maybe wrong, but it doesn't like a Tele to me.

10. gls500

gls500 Tele-Holic

You are definitely hearing a Les Paul in Easy Money, but that would be Gary Hooker from his band playing, and not Brad.

The part you're referring to in "Time Warp" sure sounds like a LP, but it could be a tele.

11. Mickey

Mickey Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

haven't posted in a while

been busy. Wanted to check in to see what everybodyy thought about the new record.

For my taste, Brad's the best songwriter on the radio. The guy tosses off internal rhymes and complicated schemes like nothing. He always comes across as conversational, no syllable sounds awkward.

And his song concepts are STRONG, precise, usually fully realized. In songwriting quality, especially in lyrics, he's in the category of Cash or even some of the standards guys as far as i'm concerned. A top top top talent.

That is all. :)

12. humblepie

humblepie TDPRI Member

Mickey nailed it....

I couldn't agree more.
    Time Well Wasted, IMHO, could vie for record of the year when it's all said and done.
    Brad has perhaps reached a new level.
    His songs are unique and not "formula".
    To my listening ears (and heart) most of what he does is a tribute to true country and at the same time a new direction he is taking it in. Maybe I'm not qualified to say this, but I hear a lot of integrity and authenticity.
    He's a musician AND an entertainer.
    He's anything but a well financed face that is so pervasive in popular music of all genres.
    At the end of the day, it's probably pretty simple to Brad, he's just being who he is.
    The picking is awesome.
    Can anyone name his bandmates?
    Killah players!!!
    I would love to witness a live jam version of "I'll Take You Back".
    Not familiar with the top shelf steel players in Nashville, but Brad's steel player sounds a bit like the steel player Mark Knopfler took on the road a few years ago.
    Could that be true?

13. The Actionman

The Actionman Tele-Meister

The World

Not my fav on this album, but the solo in that song is just SICK! :twisted:

Also, loving the Albert Lee delay tricks in several places on the album - kicks off "The World" too!
    Heck of way to open up the record and let us know what to expect the rest of the way...

The band really gets a chance to shine as well on this offering. Not that he's buried them on the others, but there's some obvious room given to this talented bunch he's assembled. The Steelman can get right there with Brad on some of those quick-backward runs and there is a great piano piece in one of the songs and the back and forth on "Time Warp" would be spectacular to witness in a live setting! :eek:
    No sleight to the other memebers of the band here, those just stood out for me on my now 6th spin...

Can wait to see this circus when it comes to town! 8)

14. tucker gypsy

tucker gypsy Tele-Meister

I'm loving "When I Get Where I'm Going." So much texture in the arangement....and Ms. Parton's voice is amazing.

Not big on the whole Cornography thing, though. Wish Mr. Burton would've played on a different track.

"I'll Take You Back" is my absolute fav right now next to "Time Warp"

Still soakin' it all in...

Tucker

15. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

So far my favorite tracks...

Overall songs - "When I Get Where I'm Going" (another classic), he has picked three stellar duet partners, Allison, Sara Evans ("New Again", a personal fav. for special reasons) and now Dolly. "Time Well Wasted", just a great tune and "Waitin' on a Woman" - could have been written about my wife too !

Pickin' songs "I'll Take You Back" & "Time Warp"- if only BP would give us a full JAZZ TUNE. He sounds so good playing jazz on "Warp" and "Make a Mistake With Me" (from Mudd).

Ok, that's it..twang on,

JK

16. DAK

DAK Tele-Holic

Anyone hear a potential crossover song?

Have only listened to the album twice (had to make time for the Oxford American Music Issue CD), but dig it a lot.

"Love is Never-Ending" strikes me as a track that - with a promotional push - could get Brad Paisley onto Adult Contemporary radio stations.

Still haven't decided on a fave, but leaning toward "I'll Take You Back."

17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Brads Steel Player

First off,, the player mentioned above with Dire Straits is none other than Paul Franklin..Paul is credited with probably half, or more than half of everything coming out of Nville..

Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, Shania, Mc Graw, Chesney, Hill, Worley, etc... blah blah blah..the boy is busy....He is at the top of the "A" list

Ok, with Brad is Randal Currie, young gun Steel player..great player..Randal is the Road Player and the Session player for the most part..And he is the young guy sittin behind the Steel in the Video's. Randal did play on all of Mud..

Now also on this new CD is is the great Mike Johnson..top of the heap player...."A" list all the way....Mike played on the first two CD' s and it sure sounds like him playing on Time Warp, although Randal can handle these tunes as well.

Two of the best no doubt.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.