Time to upgrade? Anybody familiar with the Performer Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Teleman60, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

I've owned a Squier Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster (BSB) for 7 years and love it but I think it's time for a professional upgrade. I can't help to wonder if it's holding me back. When I record it's pretty noisey and I always have to keep it in the middle position. I don't want to go tearing the thing apart because I want to keep it as a back up guitar. My last Tele I bought in 2014 was a FSR Fender Classic Series '72 Telecaster Deluxe in Red Flake which I still have too. Since then I picked up a Jackson Minion, PRS SE and Fender Jaguar. I'm definently a Telecaster guy so I know for sure I want another. My go to is the Squier I love the neck, body and tone but not the noisey pickups. I have been looking at the Fender catalog and am not really fimilar withe the recent Fenders. I went to Guitar Center a lot back in 2012 but not so much in the past few years. I have tried the older Fender American Special and USA American Standard (2012 model) and I think any of them would do. So I looked at the Fender catalog and they have a Performer Telecaster that has jumbo frets. This seems to be a lot like the American Special or am I wrong here? How do the pickups compare to the Texas Special? At the moment I'm really thinking that this might be the guitar to upgrade with. I also have a Fender Super Champ X2 that I only use on the clean channel. I'm thinking of getting a Princeton Reverb. Ok that's all folks. Thanks for reading.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The American Performer is the replacement/revision of the American Special; the American Performer series came out in December of last year. There are few changes between the two series, while the necks are pretty much the same - modern C with jumbo frets - the pickups, the way they do the Greasebucket circuit, and the tuners (American Performers have new tuners that look and function like the vintage split-post tuners but mount with the screw-down bushing and have a modern gear ratio). Unfortunately I haven't played either the American Special Tele or the American Performer Tele enough to give you a comparison of the American Performer Yosemite pickups to the Texas Specials for the Teles.

Since you haven't looked for a while - the current American Professional series replaced the American Standard series in December of 2016. There are more significant changes between the American Professionals and the American Standards - different neck shape, smaller frets, new pickups, and the Teles now have a modernized 3-saddle bridge instead of the 6-saddle bridge used on American Standards.

3. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hmmmm if the only real complaint on the Classic Vibe is the noise from the pickups then may shielding the guitar a bit better ?

OR and I'm not sure how the pickups are on those CV's are rated maybe just replace the pickups & shield them etc.

My classic 50's is pretty darn quite unless I sit on the amp while I'm playing it.

Gary

NateD81 likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have played the Performer Hum (neck) humbucker and really liked the tone and the neck profile. I would consider it a pretty good value.

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

If complaint is noise you wont solve it with a more expensive guitar if your sticking with traditional single coils.

Humcancelling pickups would be my suggestion, or you could shield the cavities with some foil.

DanDII and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Could you be using noisy pickups as an excuse for GAS?..............Just asking!

nojazzhere and Mr Scallywag like this.
  7. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Seems like an expensive solution to a cheap problem.

8. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

@Mr Scallywag makes a very good point. The extra money into a more upmarket guitar doesnt go into making a quieter guitar. Supposedly most of it goes into better quality components and quality control. In reality most of it goes into more expensive labor wages and also the logo on the headstock.

Dont get me wrong a performer will have some better specs (electronics, nut, finish, some other qc maybe better depeming on the human) but is it worth paying 3x as much when it might not even solve your main issue.

You might want to look into your recording method, if your recording to a computer and your close to it you could be picking up a lot of noise from there. If you have a mobile in your pocket that spits noise out. Any switch mode power supplies (most common type of domestic power supply/charger) spit out noise as well and can be picked up at some distance.

Its probably worth walking around your recording space facing different directions with your guitar on its strap to see if it has an effect on the noise ypu pickup because a it is directional and youll probably find a direction where you dont pickup any noise.

9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I have a Perfomer with the humbucker neck pup...

IMO all my MIM guitars are better quality/finish and better sounding. Admittedly most of the sound issues were with the humbucker and they are not really bad quality, I just like my MIMs better (and they're cheaper) .

10. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

Ok guys thanks for the help. I decided I'm not going to get a new Tele.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have an EHX Hum Debugger, it would help you without having to get a new guitar. $140 and you can turn it on and off. They start about $75 used on Reverb.

Or a noise gate, but I like the Hum Debugger better.

You could definitely do shielding and wiring upgrades even cheaper if you do it yourself but that really only reduces the noise, it can never eliminate it because the pickups themselves will always pick up the Hum. Shielding and good wiring can be enough for clean sounds but if you start adding gain you’ll always hear it again.

12. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Did we just discourage the OP from buying a new Tele?

What universe is this?

popthree likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Buy a used MIM standard.

Pick and choose and sort through them until you find the one you want. It will be an upgrade from the CV Tele and not have heavy radioactive Chinese “pine” as the body wood...

14. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Not that you need more options - but I’ve had lots different models of teles and other fenders and you definitely owe it to yourself to try different models. I currently have a mint classic series 50s tele -picked it up for $550 on Reverb - that is one of the better playing guitars I’ve had, American or not. Definitely keep your options open!

Also my tele loves my Princeton Reverb :) I upgraded from an X2 as well, you won’t regret that move.

15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've had literally dozens of Strats over the years, and my Performer is my favorite one ever! The Yosemite pickups are a major upgrade over Texas Specials IMO, being very gutsy, yet at the same time, very clean and clear. And the neck is a dream. I even preferred it to my Am Pro, until I replaced the V-Mod pickups in the Pro, which sounded both thin and harsh compared to the Yosemite pickups. I've owned many Am Standards, Am Deluxes, and many different Mexican made Fender models over the years, and IMO, the Performer, Pro, and Player are the best of the bunch.

Monty58 likes this.
  16. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

What type of magnets are in the Performer?

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Per the service manuals first the SS model:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/...r_Telecaster_Sevice_Manual_REV_A_9_5_2018.pdf

Neck pickup is alnico 5, between 7.0-7.8k
    Bridge pickup is alnico 4, between 7.6-8.2k

Neck humbucker model:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/SM_011512XXXX_Am_Perf_Tele_HS_REV_A.pdf

Neck humbucker is also alnico 5, between 6.9-7.5k
    Bridge pickup is the same as the SS model

18. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

I just got this American Performer Tele last week and absolutely love it. I really like the SC/HB PU Combo, and this guitar just feels right. Looks great too. The PU’s are outstanding. I have a 90’s Custom Tele with Texas Special PU’s which were my favorite Tele PU’s until I heard these Yosemite PU’s. These PU’s have plenty of treble, with great definition, and not too harsh. I’ve got 8 Teles, and this one is fast becoming my favorite. 3DEA6A01-4A11-4195-ABCE-9F7DC3994BF9.jpeg

Monty58 and DanDII like this.
  19. Morgants

Morgants NEW MEMBER!

I've had mine for months now and really am enjoying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.