Time to spare, upgrade to Brass Hardware on Squier Bullet Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Jazzerclean, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

PSX_20200602_121542.jpg PSX_20200602_113953.jpg View attachment 727283 View attachment 727279
    Thought I'd upgrade the hardware on my new Bullet Tele to all brass. Just waiting on the brass tuners and a bone nut to install. I have bought a single ply black guard as I will be putting a humbucker in the neck as well. All of the hardware I made from solid brass plate except for the brass saddles, knobs and machine heads which are soon to arrive. Cutting the bridge pickup hole in the bridge plate was a bugger to do. Measure 15 times, cut once, lol.

Also fitted CTS pots and a Switchcraft socket with braided insulated cable going on the reversed control plate. Frets polished smooth and fingerboard oiled. Nearly ready!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks nice. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazzerclean likes this.
  3. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Thanks, a bit of labour but worth it I think?

BBQedIguana and dlew919 like this.
  4. mateo2006

mateo2006 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Perhaps one of these is in you future?
    Or at least a gold coloured neck pickup cover. ;)

Those knobs look great. Where did you pick up the brass hardware from?

I really prefer brass to gold ... I like the way brass tarnishes. Call me crazy!

I always loved these guitars growing up:
    [​IMG]
    1980s walnut "The Strat" model
    Those "F" engraved knobs were were the coolest fender has done.
    All this hardware was gold plated brass. Cost a fortune.

Schecter went a step further:
    [​IMG]

They had a tele model as well that looked similar.

I thought of giving a Mary Kaye look to a white strat I had and bought a gold input jack, brass saddles and gold Gotoh vintage locking tuners from Allparts and then went another direction with the strat.

I think those tuners are great though. Reasonably priced. Facilitate fast string changes and are locking without adding weight and a non-traditional look to the headstock.

BBQedIguana and Jazzerclean like this.
  5. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Wow, would love the brass tele scratchplate, I wouldn't know where I could get one of those.
    I made by hand the bridge plate , neck plate, switch plate, jack plate and string tree out of solid brass sheet.

I bought the brass saddles and brass machine heads are on their way to me.

The brass knobs came off an old guitar I had many years back.

Your strat looks great, reminds me of an old 80's Schecter with brass hardware. That's where i got inspiration from, those old Schecters.

I put a coat of clear lacquer on the brass so it will be a while before it tarnishes. When I was making up the parts up from solid sheet brass plate from shiny brass, then only over a few days it started to go greenish tarnish which looked good too. You can see the old tarnish before i buffed it up on one of the pictures. I liked the lacquered shiny brass and the tarnished brass as well. Maybe i need another tele to have one with tarnished brass as well? Lol.
    Your right about the chrome pickup cover, but i intend to put a humbucker in the neck pos.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  6. mateo2006

mateo2006 TDPRI Member

A quick search pulled up this:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/telecaster-solid-brass-pickguard-745202585

[​IMG]

So they are around.

Tone Guard will do anything for you: http://www.tone-guard.com/Brass_Cop...guards_Stratchplates_Custom_Guitar_Parts.html

It is probably a good idea to go with the clear coat. It won't last forever either. Plenty of time for tarnish in the future. ;)

That "The Strat" model isn't mine. I had a candy apple red one of that model back in the day but unfortunately it got submerged in a flood of buddy's rehearsal space and was written off. I should have kept the hardware. :)

This is one of the main sources that I know for brass guitar parts:
    http://www.killerguitarcomponents.com/store
    Very expensive stuff.

Gotoh also has some brass stuff.

I bought some cheap Chinese brass saddles off ebay to put on a strat. The bass strings sound all 'woofy'. They will probably hit the trash at some point.

IMG_20200601_181927.jpg IMG_20200601_180449.jpg
    I like barrel saddles on a tele and just put these into my Charlie Christian tele yesterday.
    These are compensated, grooved saddles from Rutters. Freakin' amazing.
    They got to perfect intonation in minutes. Great sounding.
    Two brass, one aluminum. I think I would go for all brass if I bought another.

Of course, you will have no problem with intonation on yours.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  7. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

That tele is spectacular, well done. Love those pickups are out of this world, Charlie Christian style, thanks for the link for the brass scratchplate, will check it out.

mateo2006 likes this.
  8. mateo2006

mateo2006 TDPRI Member

Where did you get your brass saddles from?

Jazzerclean likes this.
  9. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Ebay, somewhere ln China

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am partial to brass. Brass over gold every time for me. As the patina develops, the verdigris gets worn by natural contact etc, brass takes on an appearance that far outclasses the glitz of worn out, threadbare gold over base metal.

Have you considered using brass fasteners for the control plate, bridge, 'guard, pickup screws and output plate?

mateo2006 and Jazzerclean like this.
  11. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I agree, never liked gold, looked false to me. When I first saw the Schecters back in the 80's that had aged brass, I thought how good and natural looking, the right brass hardware that just suited guitars. Gives a much higher quality element to the instrument.

Yes, I have to source some brass fasteners for all those you mentioned.
    I have brass machine heads on the way which I never thought I would find and was the only main piece of hardware I was missing. Can't wait to put them on, should look good with the brass string tree I made up.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    VintageSG likes this.
  12. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cool looking. Nice upgrade.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  13. mateo2006

mateo2006 TDPRI Member

And you can clean up the brass when it gets too tarnished.

What can you do when the gold crumbles?

Jazzerclean and VintageSG like this.
  14. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Thanks, wasn't shure the effort was going to be worth it, but I am happy with the results so far.

15. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

So true, but then again I like the tarnished brass look as well, looks right and looks like the guitar has experienced life.

mateo2006 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.