time to sell my amps , I found my studio amp!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 24 track, Sep 21, 2021.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As most of you know I am a nutter with too much gear ,
    anywho I had the pleasure to work on a an H&K grand meister 36 , what a toy !!!!!!!

My only Con I see here of practicality is CHEAP CHINESE NO NAME TUBES , this will be fixed post haste

unbelievable cleans , full digital effects , full midi implimentation 36 watts , tube bias indicators , EL38 X4 , 3X12AX7s, 4 modes clean , crunch, lead , and Ultra ,all 4 modes have boost, noisegate and you can store your settings to memory, wow !

all this in a luchbox head
    now the GM36 is rarer than hen's teeth , but today I found a Grand meister deluxe 40 same amp same features variable out put , both units have Di outs FX loops , it took me about 5 minutes to be able to navigate this puppy with proficiency
    on board effects : reverb, DDl, phase, flange, chorus, tremolo all with intensity, modulation etc and the effects can be dialed in by blending the effects from one to the other

sound is beautiful and will be the only amp I need in the studio ,I will keep the Marshall 1922 cab and sell off the rest of my amps and cabs, 4X12 fender , cerwin Vega 2X15, and a peavey ( I think 4X10 cabs )

I wont need any more , I dont need 11 amps thats nuts

the price of this beast is not cheap But I have far more wrapped up chasing tone , and I wont be gigging any more .

GM40Deluxe_Front_Gross-2.png

GM40Deluxe_Back.jpg
    if you look closely there is a slot on the back to insert a guitar pick and the LED's will indicate showing how well each of the EL84' are biased together ( this works very well)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    BB, Theorage, Wallaby and 6 others like this.
  2. 24 track

some of the amps I'll move are
    65 Fender twin reverb BF RI 85 watts, 65 Sunn Sonaro with matching cab , loaded with an altec 15 I also have the original sunn 15" spkr, Fender Roc Pro 1000 head , fender jam head , acoustic 470 head with matching 8X12 cab ,the Cerwin vega cab , peavey 2X15 cab , and a fender 4X12 cab, should be interesting I have more amps , but I might keep them , like a rumble 100 bass amp (sound great with guitar) and my early 60's beltones and the Pine pepco ,

3. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I had the tubemeister 18 combo and even knowing what a brilliant amp it was let it go on a good offer, recreated it since.

24 track likes this.
  4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

These would be interesting amps to have in a commercial recording studio.

24 track likes this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Glad you found “the one.”

I was a big H&K guy for many years. My main touring amp was a Switchblade. Also love the Triamp, Trilogy, and Puretone.

mkdaws32, BB and 24 track like this.
  6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Congrats and welcome to the H&K camp. My main amp is a Tubemeister 18. It’s incredible. Cleans are gorgeous and I’ve found maxing the gain on the clean channel gives that Plexi-ish grind and then adding an OD or clean boost gives perfect classic rock and classic metal tones. For a looong time I hated the lead channel voicing and used it as a single channel amp, but very recently discovered if you reduce the mid control - almost all the way down - the voicing of the treble and bass controls complete change and you can get stellar modern rock/metal tones without a boost pedal while still having great cleans on the clean channel (the TM18 has a shared EQ). This has cured my gas for a real Marshall.

The H&K “Meister” series are fantastic amps and the feature are insane (built in red box, tube health monitoring, auto biasing, excellent power soak, midi switching on some models, etc).

One note about the cheap Chinese tubes. I changed mine to JJs and they were okay, but the amp was a bit boxier. The thing is, like Mesa Boogie, H&K selects tubes for those amps based on the actual measured tube specs. Many of the “brand name” tubes are just relabeled Chinese tubes that are also hand selected. I ended up putting the originals back in and it sounds subtlety better. Very subtely.

24 track likes this.
  7. 24 track

Thank you,
    that was why I got them , but I have limited realestate in the studio and 85 watts is way too powerfull, I can never crank it out to potential with out using the iso box.

8. 24 track

I found a Vortex and matching 4X12 and fell in love with it , when I went back to get it, the store was closed , it was a 2.5 hr drive to Kelowna , too bad i always regretted that.

naveed211 likes this.
  9. 24 track

the tubes were the issues for the repair I cleaned all of the tube pins, the pots, jacks and the main selecter switch it cleaned up the sound from distorting or crackling at the higher pushed / bosted signal, but i believe the issues were created from the tubes themselves, at least with this unit .

mkdaws32 likes this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Come to think of it, one of the bands we played with a lot in my teen years, the rhythm guy swore by an Attax 80. It sounded great! He wouldn’t sell it to me or anybody even after they broke up. Real sleeper amps.

Anyway, so my affinity for H&K goes way back.

24 track and mkdaws32 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.