Time to Sell a Tele...Help me decide which.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I had a coveted Baja and just couldn't bond with it...I don't know where to start. Just everything. A lot of folks love them. Me...I'd keep the RW. They ain't bad and not that it should matter...cool blue color. Merry Christmas and glws to the OP.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I am not a great one to advise you as I haven't sold a guitar in more than 10 years and regretted it last time I did.

My advice would be to keep the one that makes you happiest when you pick it up. Forget about resale value...

Martocaster

Tele-Meister
Always the RW. Don't like the Baja fingerboard feel.
I’m totally with you on not liking to keep stuff that you don’t use. I think this is your answer though, it’s all about the feel.

It sounds like the main thing going for the Baja his how highly they are thought of, but if it doesn’t have the right feel to you then it doesn’t really matter.

It’ll be fun tweaking the electronics on the RW at some point too, like a NGD without the issue of owning more guitars.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
Ignoring everything else, don't sell your first guitar. At some point in your life you'll regret it.

I've made that mistake and it haunts me. It wasn't a special guitar by any means but it was in a unique colour and I doubt I'll find another.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Sell the Baja (though that is the one I'd keep)

Install a 4-way switch on the blue guitar

Adjust pickup heights/tip and measure and swap pots 'n caps in the blue guitar to get the sound you want. I used to swap pickups until I figured out how important pickup adjustments were as well as the fixes available with swapping the pots 'n caps.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a 50s Road Worn Vintera (blue) and a 2018 Baja Tele (not blue) and I'm thinking of selling one of them. I don't need them both.

Pros and Cons of each (to me):

Road Worn Pros:
Color
Neck finish
First real guitar since I started again

Baja Pros:
Electrics (pickups, 4-way switching)
Resale value in the future (speculative)
I'll get my investment back if I sell at this time

RW Cons:
Doesn't have Baja pickups and electrics
I won't get my money back

Baja Cons:
I don't like the finish on the neck/fretboard.

If I didn't care about resale value and getting my money back, I'd take the Baja electrics and put them in my RW but that would destroy the resale value of the Baja.

When I want to do the Tele thing, I grab my RW and it does what I want it to. If I didn't have the RW, I would make peace with the Baja. I think I've convinced myself what to do but I'd like to hear what the Tele hive mind has to say on the issue.

They're both in excellent condition, by the way.

Thanks!

View attachment 932013

Build your ideal guitar from the 'good' bits of both.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
RIGHT NOW- go run to your guitars and play something on one of them. Anything, doesn't matter.

Sell the one you didn't pick up.