Time to Retire Pro-Tools? What's a Good Replacement?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by WWLaidback, Jun 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

I use Pro Tools (paid subscription)....Studio One....Logic Pro....even tried new LUNA that came with UAD Apollo X4 I bought....all have their place....never had issues with any....Pro Tools or Logic is where I spend most time....tried free DAWs but guess you get what you pay for....wouldn't use those again seriously with all that others bring to table....various plug-ins etc.

2. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

I've been using Reason for years. Fast and intuitive, different levels (including free trial version) of entry. Upgrade to newer versions at a reasonable price. Interfaces with every other DAW.

3. The Swedvoice

The Swedvoice TDPRI Member

I need a new DAW to interface with my Fosusrite. Anybody have a recommendation? Thanks much.

[/QUOTE]

I have used SONAR for years. Sadly, their products are no longer avaialble, but there is a free verson based on SONAR that is fairly good, if you can live with the dark workspace (click link below and scroll down for download link)

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

4. Theiglupickin

Theiglupickin TDPRI Member

I too bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and didn't like ProTools at all as well as the other options it offered. The security software to control users is a waste. After it required me to use the Cloud every time I opened it, that was it. Delete!!!!!
    As a side note, having just read Ken Scotts book, "From Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust" and its a great piece of history on his experiences engineering the recordings of many of the greats from the Beatles, Elton John, David Bowie, Missing Persons, etc, etc. He still likes the simplicity of the early 4-track tape systems where much was consolidated into fewer tracks and with some creativity, made some of the best records in history. Yes, he worked with what he had available but sometimes simpler is better!

5. Cuzin B

Cuzin B TDPRI Member

Studio One all day long here. Have tried them all at one point or another.

Cheers!

B

6. deltasigma57

deltasigma57 TDPRI Member

I use Cubase. Like most DAWs, it can be quite a learning curve to become proficient, but it seems to work well for me. I think part of the problem you have encountered may be that free versions of DAWs don’t behave like the full blown version. Clearly, the full version of any DAW is usually a significant investment and may well require future updates as well. The question to think about is what type of quality and sophistication you are seeking. If it is demo only, then portastudio type options will do the job. If you want to do studio quality work, then a quality DAW and quality computer are essential.
    I guess you get what you pay for?

WWLaidback likes this.
  7. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Tele-Meister

What’s Pro Tools

8. skypilot

skypilot TDPRI Member

Tascam portas tudo o o only way to go! DAW you spend more time on computer stuff than you do recording music

Archtop Bill likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Here's the free option. You could load this on a PC you've kicked to storage as 'too slow'/'virus filled'/etc.
    Linux is a lot more efficient with hardware and will run faster on old machines.
    Apparently, some people run Reaper on Linux. I haven't investigated it much. Possible you'll need 'Wine' installed (it provides Windows software call translations). Or there may be a native version. Been awhile since I looked into that. But there are two DAWs in the software to try out.

10. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

My advice is based on my experience back in 2010ish, with old versions of software. So it may or may not be relevant.

I learned on protools, my school had it. But it was overpriced. The closest replacement I found was Cubase. It was similar enough that it was pretty easy to switch.

11. Seasharp

Seasharp TDPRI Member

I purchased a Focusrite and elected not to load either. I have downloaded Reaper and they let you do a full blown version for 60 days and then you can buy it. No cloud. Only thing is the plug ins they have are okay but then you go down the rabbit hole of what or whos plugins are really better and which ones do you need. Reaper has very good videos but it's like drinking from a fire hose, there is a lot to understand.

12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Reaper used to run find under WINE (and still does), but there is a native version as of version 5 or 6, so WINE is no longer required. Linux is very viable for music creation these days.

suthol likes this.
  13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Don't let the plain looking interfaces on the Reaper plugins fool you. The stuff you need is all there and they are very good. Having said that, I use mostly Waves and IK Multimedia (T-RACKS) plug ins because I'm familiar with them, but I could use just the stock Reaper plugins with no issue. Software instrument plugins is another thing though, Reaper doesn't have anything to speak of there.

sad99 likes this.
  14. zencat

zencat TDPRI Member

Sonar X_ Bandlab took it over and is providing for free. GREAT program! Been using it since early versions.

15. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

Apple Logic Pro is very good value for money if you have a Mac.

16. franblanc

franblanc TDPRI Member

I use Reaper, it has very good community support and excellent video tutorials courtesy of Kenny Gioia. Kenny will have you up and running in no time. I have a PC running Windows 7 with an M-Audio 2496 sound card. Microphones and instruments plug into a Tube MP pre-amp which plugs into the M-Audio card. The computer processor is an elderly Core Duo (less than an I3) but it runs fine and is extremely stable, so you don't need a new computer to run Reaper. I bought a Reaper license for 60 dollars and can record at length until I am happy with the tracks. I used Hydrogen to form a basic drum backing and easily imported four drum wav files into Reaper which became kick, snare, open high hat and closed hi-hat. The guitars and vocals are layered over this. When it's finished, you can export the whole song by consolidating it which sets every wav to the same length. This is ideal for sending the recorded material off to the mixing stage. My audio engineer (Pat Donne) imports the consolidated tracks into ProTool and does the mix. This way you save a fortune that you could spend in a recording studio trying to get everything in time and in tune. The only drawback is a PC generated hum over the guitar and vocal tracks. But this can be easily eliminated using the Reaper "noise reduction" feature. In the past I have used Logic, Roland VS-1680, Wavelab, Audacity, Cubase, Cakewalk, Soundforge and I now recommend Reaper. (I don't work for, or have an interest in the company).

mandofrog and sad99 like this.
  17. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

This might sound crazy, but I have been really digging Garageband after turning my nose up at it for years. It's come a long way and I haven't even used all of the features. Mainly because some of them are unnecessarily buried but whatever. My bassist, who's an actual engineer really likes Reaper which I'm considering checking out too.

18. tagruvto

tagruvto TDPRI Member

I'm a long time user of Sonar and was apprehensive when Bandlab purchased it and turned it into a free product. My fears were unjustified, the Bandlab version is fantastic and....Free! Try it out, watch some of the instructional videos and visit the forum. It is, by far, the best deal going.

Cheers!

Ed Driscoll and Phrygian77 like this.
  19. dvh2

dvh2 TDPRI Member

Presonus. Been using Studio One Pro for years never an issue.

20. Seasharp

Seasharp TDPRI Member

One video on youtube shows a guy using impulse respons celestion plugins in RealVerb but it seems confusing to find them and they aren't free. Any recommendations? Have you looked at Effektor plugins Kuassa? They seem pretty good. Thanks for any input you have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.